Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

360 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 04:53 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
360 Problem

I just scanned through the 3 pages of this section of the forum, looking for a thread that's related to problems with 360 units. However, I didn't find any. So, I figured I'd start a new thread. Hopefully I didn't miss one.

Anyways...

On Friday, I will have had my XBOX 360 for two weeks. I bought the Premium Pack from Electronics Boutique, and I got their $50 (CAD) 1-year warranty with it. Supposedly, they'll replace it if there's anything wrong with it. I've actually already had to get a new wireless controller, because of the fact that there was something wrong with the connection between the battery pack and the inner connector, in the original. In order to get it to work, I'd have to hold the battery pack in, whilst playing.

The main problem I'm having with my 360 console, is with it freezing. I've been playing quite a few games, and some that I have rented (all seem to be in good shape, except for maybe a smudge on one or two of them,) freezing. First, a copy of Fight Night Rd. 3 wouldn't work (it froze during a loading time for an announcement of the second fighter,) and then Burnout Revenge froze on me yesterday, at a loading point. Today, I was playing Gun, and it also froze when it was loading.

I know that the obvious answer could be that the games are in terrible shape because they're rented, but I usually ask to see the shape of the game, before I rent it. If it's in bad shape, I get them to exchange it with a different copy, or I get them to clean it. Also, my system is "laying" on a wooden floor (I have four cats, so I don't want them to knock it over,) and my power unit is elevated. It's sitting on a window sill above the system. It was also on the floor the first time I had a game freeze, but I elevated it, due to the fact that I thought that may have been the source of the problem. The system also seems to have good ventilation.

Do you think I should maybe attempt to take it back to Electronics Boutique tomorrow? What would be the best way to transfer my gamer profile onto the new system, if I do? I don't really want to buy a memory unit, so I'm hoping that they'll maybe let me keep the harddrive I have now. I'm sure that's not going to happen though.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would definately take it back. The freezing was very common on the launch units.. I know you said yours is only two weeks old but I wouldn't put up with that.

I'm not 100% about this but I think your gamer profile stats are also stored online so when you get your new 360 you would just login and it would pull it down? Not sure though.. Good luck.
Old 05-04-06, 07:28 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I'd return it while you have a chance. Eventually, it won't be just freezing. It will be flashing the 3 red lights of death and be completely unplayable. It took about 2 months for mine to collapse after exhibiting feezing issues.
Old 05-04-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I would take it back and get a replacement.
Old 05-04-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a question. Given that it's under 30 days, and that you apparently paid extra for an extra warranty, why are you even asking this question?
Old 05-04-06, 03:16 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Thanks a lot for the replies. I ended up taking it back today, in order to get another console. When I called EB yesterday, they told me to just bring it back, and I'd be able to keep my old harddrive (which I ended up doing.)

The reason I asked was that I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, or anything. Thanks again.
Old 05-04-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Cool. Well hopefully you will have better luck with this one.
Old 05-04-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm assuming that you can replace it as many times as necessary during the extended warranty and that its not a 1 time replacement for $50 and then you have to purchase a new warranty with each replacement console?

If that's the case yeah just get it replaced... if that's not the case, call MS to get it replaced this time...
Old 05-04-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make sure you keep the power supply in a well-ventilated area, and make sure the fans on it are not sucking up from the carpet. Supposedly some of the freezing problems can be solved by getting the power brick up off the carpet.
Old 05-05-06, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sniper308
I'm assuming that you can replace it as many times as necessary during the extended warranty and that its not a 1 time replacement for $50 and then you have to purchase a new warranty with each replacement console?

If that's the case yeah just get it replaced... if that's not the case, call MS to get it replaced this time...
Only MSFT's warranty does that. you should never buy the store warranty on these, they are such a rip-off. Best Buy Circuit city etc all have these shady warranties now.
Old 05-05-06, 02:40 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

They didn't make me re-buy the $50 EB warranty, although I thought they would. I've yet to buy the 2 year MS warranty, that comes advertised on a pamphlet, with the system. I plan to, though.

I've actually never had the power unit on my carpet. I've got the system on a wooden floor, just off of the carpet, so I hope that the carpet won't affect it. At first, the power unit was right behind the system, and was basically near the back of my TV/its stand, but I ended up putting it up on a window sill. The problem with that is sunlight, so I'm thinking about putting this new one on a ledge of my TV's stand, so that the sunlight won't hit it.

I was just playing my new 360 for a few hours, and it seems to be working fine. I hope that I won't have any problems with it. I try to take good care of my stuff, and it really bothers me when anything goes wrong with them, or I think there's something wrong with them. I guess it's just one of the many drawbacks of having OCD, heh.
Old 05-09-06, 01:33 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Well, I've had two problems with my new 360, thus far. It seems like they're not actually related to the system itself, which is good. The first problem occurred yesterday morning, when I was playing a rental copy of Gun. It worked perfectly until I got to the last boss, and after I had attempted to beat him a few times, it froze on me and the rumble pack in the controller kept going until I turned the system off. I looked at the disc and it has some weird marks, that don't exactly look like scratches - hence, I'm thinking that it's the disc and that my 360 just doesn't like it. The only weird thing is the fact that it worked when I was fighting the boss, earlier that night, but CDs/DVDs can be iffy when they've been scratched or marked. I'm just going to try to get a different copy.

Also, I just downloaded the Test Drive Unlimited demo, and it froze on me when I was just starting out on the road (you have to pick a car and leave a garage first.) My friend just told me that a lot of people have been experiencing the same problem, and that he actually had it freeze on him, 2/3 of the times that he tried playing the demo.
Old 05-15-06, 11:54 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I had a couple of other problems today, but I'm just attributing it to a problem with LIVE, or just a freak occurrence. They were only minor problems:

1) I was playing GRAW, in a game where there's a team objective. I died early and had to watch. It ended up freezing on me while I was watching.

2) After I turned the system back on, I was playing Uno, and it had trouble loading a game (LIVE). I played one game and then tried to load another - well, it never stopped loading.

I just think I was having a problem with regards to my LIVE connection, or something.
Old 05-19-06, 08:05 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I have a question about something that happened to me, a couple of hours ago, with my 360. I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd ask it in here.

I was playing a rental copy of Quake 4, which I've had/have been playing for over a week. It's in perfect condition and it seems like it's brand new, or at least that's what one would think after looking at it. So, I never expected to have any problems with it, whatsoever.

I've been playing it quite a bit lately, and I decided that I would continue my single player campaign, earlier. So, I played for about 30 minutes and got to around the half-way point in the game. I died, so I had to load my last save, which I tried to do. It seemed to be working fine while it was loading, but I started to hear a clicking sound (the 360's laser trying to read the disc, I assume,) and it went black. I was able to pull up the 360's pop-up guide menu, but it wasn't able to take me back to the dashboard. So, I turned it off, checked how hot it was (it wasn't very hot,) and turned it back on again.

It worked perfectly fine when I played it for another hour, so I'm hoping that it was just a weird/freak occurrence. Do you think that's what it was, or is it something I should worry about?