Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Basic amp/receiver and 4 speakers needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not strictly for a home theater, but I figured there are some smart folks here

I am looking for something to hook my airport express up to in the living room. Its a decent size room w/ kitchen built in, so I was considering 4 speakers - either powerd or hooked up to a basic amp.

I dont really want a mini system, I'd prefer to get a decent amp with as few features as possible.. Ideally a volume button and power button and nothing else. In a perfect world i could turn then speakers on/off in groups 2 of, but its not mandatory. Size matters, small is good in this case. Speakers - need 4 of them in white. Considering something like Klipsch or Polk, but dont really know what would work well.

Money is a factor as well If I could end up under $500 it would be nice (less even nicer).

Any recommendations?
Old 05-01-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps you just need some decent computer speakers. They would have built-in amps and pretty much just a volume/on/off control. You might be impressed with the sound of something from Cambridge Soundworks. Klipsch would have stuff like this, too. 2 of those would give you 4 speakers with individual control, no remote control, though. I have an old set like this and it sounds wonderful for its size and price.
Old 05-01-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just fell over this :

http://www.audioengineusa.com/products.htm

Looks pretty neat and searched for some reviews and they all said good price/sound..

Only problem is that i cant really hook up 4, just two, but so far not bad.

Any particular Klipsch's you were thinking of?
Old 05-02-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Klipsch has some computer speakers. They are decent. I think they are still sold at Best Buy. If you want to go higher quality, you could pick up some NHT bookshelf speakers and a decent stereo receiver, maybe Onkyo or Pioneer. It will have many more buttons, but you won't have to use them. You can usually find the cheapest NHTs for around $100/speaker if you look hard enough, and I think $150 MSRP. Little will touch them for sound quality at this price.

If you used a surround receiver, it could control 4 speakers more easily. Might take a couple steps to turn one pair off, but it's at least possible. You would put it into All Channel Stereo and ignore the surround capabilities. This way it would give equal volume to all the speakers.

Just mentioning some options.