Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Japanese cult favorites Suicide Club and 2LDK get double-dipped.

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Japanese cult favorites Suicide Club and 2LDK get double-dipped.

Old 04-30-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Japanese cult favorites Suicide Club and 2LDK get double-dipped (updated 7/4).

http://tlavideo.com/details/product_...sn=1&id=194354

Three of our best-selling, action-packed cult favorites in a snazzy new package, including brand-new anamorphic transfers for 2LDK and Suicide Club that put the old bootlegs to shame!

There's not much information on the release at the moment other than the fact that 2LDK and Suicide Club will have brand new anamorphic transfers. No clue if they're from an existing DVD release from another country or if TLA is paying for the new transfers to be created (I am assuming the former). Here's hope that both include player generated subtitles unlike their previous releases.

No word on the audio options or if any extras will be included with either release. The initial Suicide Club DVD only had a trailer whereas 2LDK included around an hour of behind-the-scenes and festival footage.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 07-04-06 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-30-06, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
son of a bitch. oh well. i hope they include a soundtrack for suicide club. as for 2ldk, i doubt there can be that many extras considering the runtime was less than an hour, if i can recall.
Old 04-30-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Runtime for 2LDK is 70 mins. The 3rd movie of the boxset is Moon Child

I already have both these movies but don't love 'em enough to double-dip. It looks like a cool release for those that want 'em, though.
Old 04-30-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have the region 2 version of 2LDK from Japan, and it's anamorphic and has DTS. If this is a copy of the R2J disc with removable English titles, it's a worthy upgrade.

Suicide Circle could really use a better DVD, also...
Old 04-30-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I already have both these movies but don't love 'em enough to double-dip. It looks like a cool release for those that want 'em, though.
I enjoy 2LDK, but I love Suicide Club. The transfer for the latter on DVD at the moment is awful. A non-anamorphic widescreen transfer that looks taken from a video source with burned-in subtitles to boot. At least 2LDK's current transfer is somewhat better by being anamorphic, but looks as if it was created from a beat-up festival print with burned-in subtitles.

A soundtrack (either on the DVD through the menu or a seperate CD) would be the ultimate extra for the Suicide Club disc. I know the German DVD contains some behind-the-scenes footage and an interview with the director, it can't be that hard to port that over to the R1 DVD.

The current 2LDK disc TLA put out is pretty stacked when it comes to extras. The only noteable thing it's missing is the commentary on the Japanese R2 disc.

Moon Child in other parts of the world is available in a three-disc collector's set, but I know most could care less about that title.
Old 05-01-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd definately spring for a spruced up Suicide Club! I rented it and liked it a while back.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Three of our best-selling, action-packed cult favorites in a snazzy new package, including brand-new anamorphic transfers for 2LDK and Suicide Club that put the old bootlegs to shame!
I'm confused. I thought "Suicide Club" had an official release.
Old 05-01-06, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
I'm confused. I thought "Suicide Club" had an official release.
Yeah. It did. Two years ago. By the same company releasing this new edition.

However, I think the film gained it's notoriety due to bootleg releases. Similar to Battle Royale.
Old 05-01-06, 01:03 AM
Banned

$18 at DeepDiscount. This is a no brainer. Glad I held off on "Suicide Club".
Old 05-01-06, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's nice to see Suicide Club finally getting the transfer that it deserves. The DVD I have now looks awful. I'll actually double dip for this.
Old 05-01-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the HK moonchild has better picture and sound TLA's is only stereo. Is there a new audio option for this? will they be avail. separate? I'll wait and see if there are any reviews on the improvement of suicide club.
Old 05-01-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they should have a trade-in program for everyone who bought the AWFUL previous version of SUICIDE CLUB, by far the worst quality DVD i own.
Old 05-02-06, 11:40 AM

Pre-ordered at DDD. The box itself looks awesome, it's definately worth $18.xx
Old 05-02-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
It's nice to see Suicide Club finally getting the transfer that it deserves. The DVD I have now looks awful. I'll actually double dip for this.
Ditto. Though I feel more strongly for a 2LDK upgrade. I thoroughly dug this film and to think it was only produced in one week - even though at times it feels like it.

Considering this a TLA rerelease, aside from the anamorphic upgrade on Suicide Club, I'd really be interested to find out if the others are direct ports of the originals. I'd also be curious to find out if the Suicide Club as listed in "NR" is actually identical to the unrated first release, which I assume it to be.

18 is a killer price for all three (never saw Moonchild), but I think I'll be waiting for some quality reviews before upgrading the other two.
Old 05-03-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

EDIT: Here's the official specs.

1. Fans of Moon Child? You're fucked. You're getting the previous DVD release just in new artwork. This means the same barely passable anamorphic transfer with burned-in subtitles plus very few extras.

2. 2LDK retains the same 50 minutes worth of extras that came packaged with the original disc. There will be a newly remastered transfer with optional English subtitles, but the audio will be in stereo only. No Dolby Digital or DTS like the Japanese R2 release. for the new transfer with optional subtitles, but on the lack of 5.1 enhancement.

3. Suicide Club will suffer the same fate as 2LDK. Same extras as the current disc that's out there (just a brief photo gallery and a trailer) along with a 2.0 stereo mix, but at least there's newly remastered transfer with optional English subtitles included. for the new transfer with optional subtitles, but on the lack of 5.1 enhancement.

4. 2LDK and Suicide Club will be dual-layered unlike their previous DVD releases.

Considering I paid $40 for 2LDK and Suicide Club when they were first released, it's at least a cheap double-dip (half the price) and I get a third film included (despite the fact I would be perfectly okay with never seeing it again). However, there should be 5.1 mixes for the latter two films and maybe some extras for Suicide Club.

I am still awaiting a reply from TLA. Hopefully they can clue us in about the new transfers and where they will be coming from. I have a gut feeling that the transfer from 2LDK will probably be ported from the Japanese disc, but where are they getting the transfer for the anamorphic Suicide Club? An anamorphically enhanced transfer for the film does not exist anywhere.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 05-03-06 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-03-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll wait for reviews to see about any "improvements" to the quality of suicide club. I'm not totally sold especially since they others don't show that much improvement from the last dvds.
Old 05-03-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i can't seem to locate the suicide club reissue on ddd, does anybody have a link?
Old 05-03-06, 03:13 PM

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=TLA000001
Old 05-03-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks, fender!
Old 07-04-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am bumping this thread as I finally picked up the set last night when I got back into Vegas from the wonderful New York City. In a nutshell, TLA Releasing fucked up this set and then some. To start off, let's go from the good and then work on the complete and utter shit.

2LDK opens up with a brand new animated menu set to the film's title song. Everything from the previous disc remains such as the original trailer, the press conference footage, and the behind the scenes featurette. New to the disc are additional trailers to Suicide Club, Moon Child, Feed, and the boxset itself. The best news is that the transfer is a clear night-and-day difference from the previous TLA release. Gone is the consistent grain, compression, and burned-in subtitles and the 70 minute film is allowed to breathe and then some on the 7GB disc. I would bet good money this is the same transfer that appears on the Japanese R2 DVD, however, why not include Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 that disc includes as well? There's nearly a gig of space left to include at least a Dolby Digital 5.1 track. So far, everything is on the right track.

Of course, the fan favorite, Suicide Club gets another shitty release. Remember that new anamorphic transfer we were promised from TLA Releasing? Well guess what folks! It's not fucking here despite the packaging claiming a brand new anamorphic transfer. If 2LDK's transfer was ported from the Japanese R2 release, I would bet good money as well that the Suicide Club transfer was the same non-anamorphic transfer from the R2 release in Japan. This non-anamorphic transfer is a lot better than the nearly shot-to-hell VHS quality we got the first go-around, but it's still pretty shitty. At least the subtitles are a lot better (and player generated) this time around. The extras are the same as the previous release and the menus, similar to 2LDK's, have been upgraded.

Moon Child I won't even bother with. As suspected, it's the same disc just in brand new packaging.

I am pissed off I spent money on this package. While 2LDK looks great, I really wanted the brand new transfer for Suicide Club which isn't fucking present despite the packaging claims. Too bad Tartan couldn't give these films justice when they were briefly apart of TLA, instead, we will continue to get half assed releases from TLA. Sigh.
Old 07-04-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm VERY irritated after buying the version of Suicide Club that states "brand new anamorphic transfer" only to get a 4:3 letterboxed version. Somebody dropped the ball here.
Old 07-04-06, 11:17 PM

Dammit, I was really looking forward to getting an anamorphic Suicide Club.
Old 07-05-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,241 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by bis22
Dammit, I was really looking forward to getting an anamorphic Suicide Club.
Me too, must be so much clearer when you get to the other side.