Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stick It - quick review

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stick It - quick review

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Stick It - quick review

I'll admit to really enjoying "Bring It On", so given the parallels between that film and "Stick It" (instead of looking at competitive cheerleading, we get a peak inside competitive gymnastics), I will be brave enough to admit to seeing this movie.

I did enjoy the sarcasm on display from Hailey (played by Missy Peregrym) who jaws and banters with her forced upon gymnastics coach (played by Jeff Bridges), and the movie does a good job with the pacing, though it's a little underwritten for the sake of the pacing, I suspect. Missy is pretty believable as a decent gymnast, although she's probably 4"-6" too tall to be a really good gymnast. Missy reminds me a little bit of Hilary Swank (cheekbones, shape of face, athleticism), but Missy is a bit prettier too than Hilary.

It starts out as a story of Hailey leaving the sport of gymnastics, then forced to come back to the sport, but it turns into a referendum on how gymnasts are scored in the competitions (the inequity of scoring high being a matter of playing it safe vs. pushing the envelope), and also a smaller indictment on private tutoring of athletes who train full-time for their Olympic dreams.

The intended audience of middle school age girls seemed to enjoy this film, and from that standpoint, it provided some decent entertainment for its target audience.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 04-30-06, 04:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i usually love teeny bopper/chick flicks and i was a bit disappointed with this one. can't say i hated it, but i didn't like it as much as i normally do.
Old 05-01-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was disappointed. The movie wasn't half as FUN as it THOUGHT it was. Jeff Bridges was wasted and many of the characters and situations were too thinly drawn to really get us invested and caring...the pacing was off and a lot of the jokes were off time too...the commercials had a better sense of timing than the actual film. the gymnastics were alright, but the movie overall, was a letdown and certainly was no "Bring It On"... JB shouldn't have directed this...Personally, I didn't think her choices as a director were very good and in someone else's hands, this movie could have been a real winner.

MATT
Old 05-12-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I guess it's not Bring it on 3.

That being said, I am sorta looking forward to Peyton Reed's The Break-Up, even though I'm still pretty miffed that he didn't direct Fantastic Four. Though I also believe Tim Story didn't do a piss-poor job either.
Old 05-12-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No , but BRING IT ON 3 is coming out sometime this year, direct to video.