Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Need help on purchasing Battle Royale & Battle Royale II

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on purchasing Battle Royale & Battle Royale II

Hi members. I need an opinion, just wondering "Where" & "What" Battle Royale/Battle Royale II I should purchase. Looked at Ebay but I am guessing most of them might be Bootleg. Checked out HKflix.com and saw these:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

Which one would u guys recommend. Thanks.
Old 04-27-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
avoid the starmax version of the first movie, as the subtitles are attrocious and the dts mix is very weak..
get this version
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.2388/qx/details.htm
granted, its 40 bucks, and bare bones, its got the sickest sounding 5.1 mix i've ever heard, and the transfer is great too.
Old 04-27-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The starmax subtitles on the first movie aren't that bad. It's just the translation for the special edition scenes are very poor, but those scenes are few. Otherwise I think that edition is fine.
Old 04-27-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
avoid the starmax version of the first movie, as the subtitles are attrocious and the dts mix is very weak..
get this version
granted, its 40 bucks, and bare bones, its got the sickest sounding 5.1 mix i've ever heard, and the transfer is great too.
That's the one I have too and the best choice.
Old 04-27-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own the Starmax version and love it. I don't know how the rumor of bad subtitles throughout the film got started, but the subtitling only really suffers during the extra scenes at the end (which aren't even really part of the movie proper). The subtitles for 95% of the entire running time are Just Fine. It looks fantastic as well.

See here for much more information to help you out:

http://battleroyalefilm.net/video/index.html
Old 04-27-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

if you have a nearby Hottopic Store at your palce, go browse around their DVD section or ask their sales associate. 3 out of 5 Hottopic I've been to here at Southern California still have starmax available at $34.99
Old 04-28-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
I own the Starmax version and love it. I don't know how the rumor of bad subtitles throughout the film got started, but the subtitling only really suffers during the extra scenes at the end (which aren't even really part of the movie proper). The subtitles for 95% of the entire running time are Just Fine. It looks fantastic as well.

See here for much more information to help you out:

http://battleroyalefilm.net/video/index.html
to my eyes
these subs are too thick for my taste, maybe its just me.
Old 04-28-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The definitive NTSC version of the first film with subtitles is the now OOP Tartan edition from the UK. It's region free and has the same exact transfer as the Japanese R2.

You don't need to see the sequel.
Old 04-28-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rypro,

I thought you were referring to the subtitle translation, not the way they looked. Yeah, they're a bit chunky, but really, they didn't interfere with my ability to read them or my enjoyment of the film. At least they're not huge and yellow like Sony tends to gravitate towards.
Old 04-28-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There may be an "official" Tartan US release of Battle Royale in the near future.

Posted: Sun., Apr. 23, 2006, 3:02pm PT

Genius spins Tartan pix to DVD

'Cello' plays in homevid label deal

*By IAN MOHR <http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=bio&peopleID=1462>*

Homevid label Genius Products has inked an exclusive distrib agreement with Tartan USA -- the U.S. arm of Blighty distrib Tartan Films -- to release artan's library domestically on DVD.

Genius also will distribute all new releases from Tartan's Tartan Video USA label as part of the pact. Tartan's library was formerly distributed by TLA Releasing.

First title to roll out under the pact will be Korean pic "Cello," which will be marketed under Tartan's Asia Extreme genre imprint. Pic, about a cellist haunted by strange happenings after a car wreck, will be available on homevid July 25.

Also falling under the deal is "The Hidden Blade," by Japanese filmmaker Yoji Yamada, available Aug. 8.

Tartan has a library of about 40 films, including the Asia Extreme series. Its recent rollouts include Asian import "Oldboy" and Michael Winterbottom's "9 Songs."

"Our agreement allows us to expand our distribution reach with a partner whose product line complements our own," said Tartan Video USA prexy Tony Borg.

The Weinstein Co. and Genius struck a deal late last year to relaunch the California-based DVD label, with TWC controlling 70% of the unit as well as the partnership's board.

Genius exclusively distribs all TWC product on DVD and houses the Liberation Entertainment and Wellspring libraries.
Old 04-28-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Rypro,

I thought you were referring to the subtitle translation, not the way they looked. Yeah, they're a bit chunky, but really, they didn't interfere with my ability to read them or my enjoyment of the film. At least they're not huge and yellow like Sony tends to gravitate towards.
how is the dts track? since according to ign, they said it was one of the weakest dts tracks theyve heard?
Old 04-28-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, I couldn't tell you. I don't have a DTS-compatible system yet.
Old 04-28-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcarver
There may be an "official" Tartan US release of Battle Royale in the near future.
Yeah. It's still not going to happen. No studio owns US distribution to the film and it will never happen until Toei takes the stick out of it's ass.
Old 04-28-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
how is the dts track? since according to ign, they said it was one of the weakest dts tracks theyve heard?
I have the Starmax and thought the DTS sounded great (deep lows and clear vocals), though the only other version of the movie I've seen was the VCD I borrowed from a friend.
Old 04-28-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

eh, might have to check it out. (is imdb right about how there is extra violence?) and are any of hte extras subtitled? or should i just go for the region 2 tartan? i noticed that the site linked to earlier, mentions that there is ghosting on the region 2 version, would that be noticible on an oppo dvd player?
Old 04-28-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The SE (Director's Cut) version of the movie has much more blood added, yes. None of the extras are subtitled in English (which was no surprise) but there is a pretty nice segment showing the scoring of the film, which required no subs to enjoy it.

Here's a page showing the additions (mostly the extra blood-letting) to the DC version:
http://homepage.eircom.net/~screaman..._spver_02.html
Old 04-28-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...564236-8830037
is this the longer uk version or is this the theatrical one? since via a currency converter, its only 12.62

Last edited by Rypro 525; 04-28-06 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-28-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's the longer Director's Cut version.
Old 04-28-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks (adds title in shopping cart)
Old 04-29-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...564236-8830037
is this the longer uk version or is this the theatrical one? since via a currency converter, its only 12.62
It's more like $18.24 minus VAT. I got this when it was first released in a tin case. I actually prefer the theatrical cut. I don't know why people are calling this a Director's cut when all the added scenes where filmed months after the original release. The only scene I'd actually add is the scene where it shows why that one crazy bitch is the way she is. The extras are cool, though.