Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hills Have Eyes 2 : March 2007

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-26-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, it's coming. Read the article at Fangoria.com for more info:
http://fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=6009
Old 04-26-06, 03:14 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Craven will be co-scripting this (with his son Jonathan)
Old 04-26-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those of you who have forgot, Craven wrote and directed the original The Hills Have Eyes 2. If you haven't seen it, you really don't need to. Simply put, that movie was a flaming piece of shit.

I enjoyed the remake, but this sounds like a very fucking bad idea.

1. Craven is scripting the flick. If this was Craven circa 1980s, I'd be jumping up and down for joy. What we're dealing with now is the Craven who brought us Cursed, Music of the Heart, Scream 3, and Vampire In Brooklyn.

2. Alexandre Aja and Grégory Levasseur are most likely not returning. If it wasn't for that duo, the remake wouldn't be as good (or as brutal) as it was. Despite the craptacular final shot, Aja and Levasseur made the remake work.

3. It seems none of the non-mutant cast will be returning. Usually, this isn't such a problem, but...

Spoiler:
I will be pissed off if there's a reference in the sequel that the son, the daughter, and the son-in-law and his infant ended up getting killed by the mutants.
Old 04-26-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What we're dealing with now is the Craven who brought us Cursed, Music of the Heart, Scream 3, and Vampire In Brooklyn.
Craven didn't write any of those. Music of the Heart was great for what it was (though it severely lacked in the gore department). All his movies are well directed (I loved Red Eye). His writing has nothing to do with any of his recent work.

He wrote all the best Nightmare on Elm Street Films (Parts 1, 3, and 7), and The People Under the Stairs (not exactly a great film, but not a piece of shit).

I think it's all gonna boil down to who directs this one.

But yeah, I think they should actually not make the film at all...I'd just rather have the remake and stop it at that.
Old 04-26-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
Craven didn't write any of those. Music of the Heart was great for what it was (though it severely lacked in the gore department). All his movies are well directed (I loved Red Eye). His writing has nothing to do with any of his recent work.

He wrote all the best Nightmare on Elm Street Films (Parts 1, 3, and 7), and The People Under the Stairs (not exactly a great film, but not a piece of shit).

I think it's all gonna boil down to who directs this one.

But yeah, I think they should actually not make the film at all...I'd just rather have the remake and stop it at that.
I disagree with you. Craven hasn't directed a decent film since Scream 2 in 1997.

Craven's career overall has been either hit or miss. The Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Serpent and the Rainbow, The People Under the Stairs, New Nightmare, Scream, and Scream 2. All hits. Everything else? Misses (yes, I am one of the few horror fans who thinks Shocker and Swamp Thing are pieces of shit).

The problem with Craven, is the last decade, his batting average is piss poor. If this was Craven of the yesteryear, I'd have more faith in the project. However, like the greats, Craven had to pass his prime sometime. This would even apply to directors like Argento, Carpenter, and Landis who have pretty much lost their touch.

If Aja and Levasseur were apart of the project (along with some of the original cast), I'd be game. As it stands now, I am not excited about it.
Old 04-26-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
3. It seems none of the non-mutant cast will be returning. Usually, this isn't such a problem, but...

Spoiler:
I will be pissed off if there's a reference in the sequel that the son, the daughter, and the son-in-law and his infant ended up getting killed by the mutants.
Spoiler:
That's what I figured happened to them with the last shot of the film.
Old 04-26-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What a bad title. Should be something like The Hills Have Even More Eyes! or The Hills Have Ears!.

With the exclamation point.
Old 04-26-06, 05:07 PM

Hmm i love the original and i love the remake but i agree Craven kind of lost it. I hope that this is good. It sucks Aja isnt returning he is my current favorite horror director.
Old 04-26-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was excited until I read the details... this could be a horrible mistake on Fox's part... I am sure Craven and Son can turn in a decent draft, but this will come down to director and casting IMO...

MATT
Old 04-26-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the remake, until
Spoiler:
it felt the need to go into a house and show rooms with gore in it for no reason. That part was too much like the TCM remake. That and the mutants jumping through walls, that really took me out of the film

The sequal will be better than the sequal to the original.

From what I read on another movie site, it sounded like Craven's son would be doing most of the writing.
Old 04-26-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by cerial442
I liked the remake, until
Spoiler:
it felt the need to go into a house and show rooms with gore in it for no reason. That part was too much like the TCM remake. That and the mutants jumping through walls, that really took me out of the film

The sequal will be better than the sequal to the original.

From what I read on another movie site, it sounded like Craven's son would be doing most of the writing.
It's not too terribly difficult to make something better than a flaming turd.
Old 04-27-06, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
HA!! Me too!!! Most in the theater seemed to groan, as if it were a set up for the eventual sequal, I took it to mean they were about to die.
Old 04-27-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The same son who wrote the cinematic masterpiece Mindripper.
Old 04-27-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by paradicelost
It might be.

Well so much for this movie.
Old 04-27-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I hereby christen this plot device, "to Alien3" a character.
Old 04-27-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It might be.

Well so much for this movie.
Yeah it is, Jonathan Craven, i believe Mindripper is his only other writing credit.
I guess that doesn't have to be bad thing. Remember the same guy who wrote Brainscan also gave us Se7en.

Last edited by paradicelost; 04-27-06 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-27-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah it is, Jonathan Craven, i believe Mindripper is his only other writing credit.
I guess that doesn't have to be bad thing. Remember the same guy who wrote Brainscan also gave us Se7en.
IMDB lists "Hills Have Eyes Part 3" as a working title for "Mindripper"!
Old 04-27-06, 04:07 PM
Banned

agreeed, bad idea. i'll still see it though.
Old 04-28-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think rushed sequels are never a good thing. So far Friday the 13th part 2,Elm Street 2,Hellraiser 2, Saw 2, Scream 2 have all been huge letdowns compared to the originals.

So I won't get my hopes up for this.
Old 04-28-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow,im one of the few that like's Fri.the 13th part 2 better then the original?

And I agree this might be a flaming turd.
Old 04-28-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I disagree with Saw 2. I thought it was much better than the original.
Old 04-28-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDHO
Wow,im one of the few that like's Fri.the 13th part 2 better then the original?
No,alot of fans like it more than the original. But I have never been one of them

It just didn't capture the feeling the original had,thus the film is largely dull for myself and hardly atmospheric. The original still entertains and is quite suspenseful as well in my opinion.

The film still has some good moments scattered throughout,but is not that impressive to myself. That I find it overrated in many ways.
Old 04-28-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I think rushed sequels are never a good thing. So far Friday the 13th part 2,Elm Street 2,Hellraiser 2, Saw 2, Scream 2 have all been huge letdowns compared to the originals.

Most of the Friday the 13th films were rushed into production.

I enjoyed Saw 2 as much as I did the first one. Scream 2 was good, and Hellraiser 2 was the only sequal in that series of any value. Atleast that one followed the rules of the first movie.

I agree about Nightmare on Elm Street 2 though.
Old 04-28-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, Mind Ripper was sweet in its own right. Very creepy film, IMO.
Old 04-28-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker

Friday the 13th: Part 2 isn't as good as the original, but due to that franchise's overall quality, it didn't hurt or improve on it.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is terrible, there's no doubt about that, but it is schlocky fun only for the barrage of homosexual undertones.

Hellraiser 2 was the only good sequel out of that franchise.

Saw II was a pleasant surprise. It could've been much worse. It also gets props for having the original writer back on board.

Scream 2 is a great sequel and I am one of the few who enjoy it more than the first. It also gets props for having the original writing/directing team back on board.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.