Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

An Inconvenient Truth: Global Warming / Al Gore documentary - May 24, 2006

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

An Inconvenient Truth

[Trailer]

Eloquently weaves the science of global warming with Al Gore’s personal history and lifelong commitment to reversing the effects of global climate change. A longtime advocate for the environment, Gore presents a wide array of facts and information in a thoughtful and compelling way. The film is not a story of despair but rather a rallying cry.

<hr>

I've heard nothing of this film until I saw a banner ad for it today. It looks interesting although internal flags are being raised for the inclusion of Al Gore. Not because I don't like the man, but simply because I think this is not a subject that needs to be politicized. (The "next president" line on the trailer doesn't help its cause).

I don't know how interesting this would be for the average American. Maybe with gas prices hitting a nominal high some people might want to know more about this. Maybe not.

I may see it, just because I like seeing documentaries in theatres.

The trailer is fantastic.
Old 04-25-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Looks good.

Gore's involvement shouldn't really be made a partisan issue (although that won't stop some people from doing so) because he's been talking about this same topic for two decades or so - it's not just some sort of partisan political agenda he parrots just to look good in opinion polls. This is a topic that's close to his heart.
Old 04-25-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The two times I've seen this trailer play with an audience (both with Thank You For Smoking), people have laughed at it. Not a good sign at all.

I am very interested in seeing it. I am not a Gore fan, but I am curious to what he has to say (and the nature images should look good on a big screen).
Old 04-25-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Larry David's wife, Laurie, is a producer on this. She directed the very similar (minus Gore), "Too Hot Not to Handle", which is airing on HBO this month.
Old 04-26-06, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I posted the link to this trailer in a "Global Warming" thread in Politics a few weeks ago. No one had anything to say. But then again I think I'm on many "ignore" lists over there.
Old 04-26-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The two times I've seen this trailer play with an audience (both with Thank You For Smoking), people have laughed at it. Not a good sign at all.
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I posted the link to this trailer in a "Global Warming" thread in Politics a few weeks ago. No one had anything to say. But then again I think I'm on many "ignore" lists over there.
I posted my reaction to the trailer here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?p=6940939 (Post #34)

Last edited by movielib; 04-26-06 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-26-06, 08:11 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope Al's not narrating, otherwise that's a 100 minute nap.
Old 04-26-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks like pure crap to me.
Old 04-26-06, 10:02 AM

Looks pretty good, it will be interesting to see what kind of response it gets at the box office, though it may be a very limited release film.
Old 04-26-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
I was interested in seeing this until I read taa455's perceptive & eloquent critical assessment of the film...now I'm not as sure.
Old 04-26-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dhmac
Looks good.

Gore's involvement shouldn't really be made a partisan issue (although that won't stop some people from doing so) because he's been talking about this same topic for two decades or so - it's not just some sort of partisan political agenda he parrots just to look good in opinion polls. This is a topic that's close to his heart.
I haven't seen the trailer, but from the original post saying that he is described as "the next president" in the trailer, I think he is playing politics. If it was just described as a straight up doc about global warming, I'd probably be very interested, as long as Gore's name was just attached to the project in title or credit. The "next president" line brings up harsh feelings on both sides and takes away from the aim of the movie.
Old 04-26-06, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I was interested in seeing this until I read taa455's perceptive & eloquent critical assessment of the film...now I'm not as sure.
You want more? It looks like Gore is exploiting the tragedies of last summer to blame "global warming" for driving up the frequency and intensity of hurricanes, a capricious and completely unproven argument, for the main purpose of making a political statement. Like I said, looks like pure crap to me.
Old 04-26-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
System of a Down says "propaganda leaves us blinded"
Old 04-26-06, 09:36 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Well, I don't think the South Park guys are too impressed with Al Gore's movie. They just skewered him with a parody turning Global Warming into a quest to stop ManBearPig, a fake freak of nature.

They even added a bit about him making it into a movie. Because he's super serial about ManBearPig.
Old 04-26-06, 09:57 PM

I wonder if, in the 70s, Gore also bought in to the "Global Cooling" scare.

I don't care what facts they present. Yes, global warming is happening. It has happened before. And the earth has cooled before. Whether or not humans are screwing with the process is still a big QUESTION. The science is far from in.

I see this as nothing more than propaganda. The inclusion of Gore only makes it more so. I only hope the American people can see this for what it is.

I agree with taa455 on this one: garbage.
Old 04-27-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This film is based off a speech Gore has been giving for years, so those that are opposed to Gore's inclusion, should probably not watch it, because he's the progenitor of the doc's idea.
Old 04-27-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Manbearpig.....rrrrrrrr.....I'm super cerial.
Old 04-27-06, 10:55 PM

I read about this a couple weeks ago and on the same day this was in the WSJ.
Old 04-28-06, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by bravesmg
The "next president" line brings up harsh feelings on both sides and takes away from the aim of the movie.
Exactly. I love how in the trailer he says that AND he says that "it's not a political issue, it's a moral one." BS, Gore. Global warming is probably the most politicized environmental issue there is. It's impossible to get any objective scientific facts on it without heavy spin and a lot of emotional rhetoric.
Old 04-29-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Duder
Exactly. I love how in the trailer he says that AND he says that "it's not a political issue, it's a moral one." BS, Gore. Global warming is probably the most politicized environmental issue there is. It's impossible to get any objective scientific facts on it without heavy spin and a lot of emotional rhetoric.
Yeah, he makes the joke "I'm Al Gore, I used to be the next president of the United States" and that is a political statement, but it has nothing to do with the main topic of the documentary, global warming. But he is correct that that topic, global warming, shouldn't be a political issue but a moral issue. And based on the trailer, it looks like Gore backs up his speech with a lot of scientific evidence (ex. "the 10 hottest years on record happened in the last 14 years", etc.).

Most scientists agree with the view that global warming is happening, and most of those scientists attribute it to human activity. It's only a rather small minority of scientists who disagree with either of these views (most agree that warming is happening but disagree with it being caused by human activity, while it's just a very small few who think global warming is not happening at all).

So Al Gore's view on global warming is closer to the view of the majority of the scientific community, and not just some political spin and rhetoric that ignores science.
Old 04-29-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Yeah, he makes the joke "I'm Al Gore, I used to be the next president of the United States" and that is a political statement, but it has nothing to do with the main topic of the documentary, global warming. But he is correct that that topic, global warming, shouldn't be a political issue but a moral issue. And based on the trailer, it looks like Gore backs up his speech with a lot of scientific evidence (ex. "the 10 hottest years on record happened in the last 14 years", etc.).

Most scientists agree with the view that global warming is happening, and most of those scientists attribute it to human activity. It's only a rather small minority of scientists who disagree with either of these views (most agree that warming is happening but disagree with it being caused by human activity, while it's just a very small few who think global warming is not happening at all).

So Al Gore's view on global warming is closer to the view of the majority of the scientific community, and not just some political spin and rhetoric that ignores science.
Virtually all global warming skeptics believe that global warming has been happening. Virtually all also believe the rising CO2 levels are mostly human caused. However, a rather sizeable minority believes that those CO2 levels contribute very little to the warming and they also believe that Kyoto-style solutions are next to useless but will cost trillions of dollars and impede economic growth and technological advancement - the very things needed if we are to be able to combat any problems if they do arise from global warming.

And consider one of the main arguments in the trailer - that global warming is causing the period of more and stronger hurricanes. That is something with which the vast majority of skeptics and alarmists disagree (it is a part of a natural cycle of hurricane ups and downs which we have perceived for at least a century). Yet it is presented in the trailer as a fact. Perhaps the rhetoric on this point will be tempered in the actual film but I doubt it. Gore has been doomsaying and scaremongering for a couple of decades now. I doubt this film will be any different.
Old 05-01-06, 02:41 AM

Yeah, I can't speak for what's in the rest of the film, but the bit about the hurricanes is so scientifically unsupported that I have a hard time taking the movie seriously.
Old 05-01-06, 08:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The major reason why I think the movie is "liberal spin" is the fact that thanks to all those church monks writing notes since circa 6th Century AD we have fairly good knowledge of the weather in Europe. As such, we know that until about the 13th Century Europe was actually much warmer than it is even today (they were growing wine grapes in what is now the UK!), until some unknown event caused Europe to become very cold in winter.

Besides, I don't trust a person whose last few speeches are more like screamfests.
Old 05-01-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Church monks and grapes?

I like the trailer and poster for this film. My degree is in Environmental Science so I'll see it to know about it. In case the discussion would come up.
Old 05-01-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RayChuang
The major reason why I think the movie is "liberal spin" is the fact that thanks to all those church monks writing notes since circa 6th Century AD we have fairly good knowledge of the weather in Europe. As such, we know that until about the 13th Century Europe was actually much warmer than it is even today (they were growing wine grapes in what is now the UK!), until some unknown event caused Europe to become very cold in winter.
The Medieval Warm Period and the following Little Ice Age are probably the best arguments against current Global Warming being caused by human activity and instead are just a part of an ongoing natural warming and cooling cycle. But even nature fluctuations in temperatures like those don't completely dispel the idea that human activity is contributing to the current warming - and it's possible that it is being caused by both events.

My view is Global Warming is happening, but may or may not be caused or assisted by human industrial-age activity. However, changing the way we are living is crucial no matter what. If human activity is causing the warming, then changing this activity to reduce pollution will help slow down the process. But if our activity is not causing it, then changing our activity will still decrease pollution worldwide. A win-win situation either way.

Last edited by dhmac; 05-01-06 at 12:23 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.