Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazon: 50% off a few Italian classics from NoShame

De Sica's "Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow" $10

Bellocchio's "Devil in the Flesh" $10

Antonioni's "Story of a Love Affair" $15

I am collecting films from these directors and these are the best prices I've seen. Enjoy!
Old 04-20-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antonioni's film is a great one, and a nice 2-disc set. I'd highly recommend that. Thanks!
Old 04-20-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What? Have they no shame?

(sorry, couldn't resist making a bad joke)
Old 04-20-06, 12:42 PM

In for all three. THANKS TO THE OP!! NoShame and Mondo Macabro are two of my favorite newer folks to the DVD scene...this is a GREAT deal!
Old 04-20-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, illenium. I've been waiting for a good time to dabble in the NoShame catalog.
Old 04-20-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
just to make sure: these are the versions to get right?
Just keep in mind that all of these are incorrectly flagged PAL-NTSC ports.

(yet, even i have them in my collection...until NoShame jump on the HD wagon).

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-20-06, 06:10 PM

grazzi OP!

No Shame has REALLY impressed the hell out of me with all their titles I've gotten. These are great deals.
Old 04-20-06, 08:03 PM

According to DVD Beaver's review of Story of a Love Affair, it is NOT a non-converted PAL-to-NTSC transfer as No Shame's ealier releases were. There is very minor combing and some damage to the source elements is evident but overall the transfer looks more than acceptable considering the age of the film and the fact that the original negative was lost.

Last edited by ElCambio; 04-20-06 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-20-06, 08:06 PM

What is the consequence of "incorrectly flagged PAL-NTSC ports"?
Old 04-20-06, 08:15 PM

Actually, I just found DigitallyObsessed's review and they claim it is an interlaced PAL conversion, so now I don't know what to think -- except that this is by far the best this movie has looked in many years.
Old 04-20-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by ElCambio
According to DVD Beaver's review of Story of a Love Affair, it is NOT a non-converted PAL-to-NTSC transfer as No Shame's ealier releases were. There is very minor combing and some damage to the source elements is evident but overall the transfer looks more than acceptable considering the age of the film and the fact that the original negative was lost.
DVDBeaver is wrong!! (Same goes for their review of Devil in the Flesh).

And the quality of the print has NOTHING to do with the actual transfer!!

You are free to believe whatever source you prefer!!

Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
Cine: while you may not be bothered with the actual transfer on a regular tube if you own a high-end TV set you will see a predominant amount of heavy "ghosting" resulting in what I always describe as "smeared" image!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-20-06 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-21-06, 12:14 PM

Pro-B: My intent was not to be disagreeable, just to try to clear up whether this particular release was in fact PAL sourced. Thus I'd be interested to hear any other evidence for stating that "DVDBeaver is wrong!!" other than the apparent ghosting you mentioned. Gary at DVDBeaver did not see any ghosting. DVD Talk's review reported some "minor ghosting." I am not saying who is necessarily right, but there is a great deal of disagreement among the reviews of No Shame's transfer which makes this worth discussing, IMO. DVD Verdict is one of the most positive, for example.
Here is some evidence to indicate that it is not a non-converted PAL-to-NTSC transfer. One of the most reliable indications of this would be the presence of PAL speedup. But the runtime of the No Shame disc is 98 min. I believe 98 min. is the correct runtime, and it is almost always reported as such.
About my other comment about the transfer looking more than acceptable: I simply meant that the transfer shows the picture quality to be quite good despite the lost negative and the condition and age of the surviving print that was restored. I believe this is very common shorthand. I'm sorry if the way I phrased it made it unclear to you.

Last edited by ElCambio; 04-21-06 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Dear ElCambio:

You are free to believe whichever source you think is most reliable! However I firmly stand behind my claim: both Story of a Love Affair and Pietro Germi's The Railroad Man are PAL-NTSC improper ports. That is what I indicated in the two reviews I wrote for DVDTALK. In fact, I had a very active discussion with NoShame regarding the issue and as a result they started falgging their transfers properly (you can read my less-than-possitive comments at the end of most of NoShame's titles, part of their initial batch, that I reviewed for DVDTALK). Once again: DVDBEAVER is wrong (as they are in their review of Devil in the Flesh which is also a PAL port) and I am right (hope this does not sound too snobbish).

So, there you have it: I put my reputation on the line (if that should mean anything): both releases are PAL-NTSC ports!!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-22-06, 02:45 AM

Thanks for once again reassuring me that I'm free to believe whichever source I prefer but I was obviously trying to determine what to believe by clearing up conflicting information. The way to do that is through considering evidence, not through exclamations. Merely stating that someone or something is wrong doesn't resolve a situation where there is evidence for both sides. Your last post has helpful information and I sincerely thank you. I hadn't noted that one of the DVDTalk reviews was yours (and wouldn't have guessed so because your recent post reported "heavy ghosting" while the review cited only minor ghosting). Anyway, I'm glad you communicated with No Shame about this issue, albeit a minor one which I never meant to get blown out of proportion in this thread.
Old 04-22-06, 03:50 AM

Actually DVD Pacific have them in good prices for a while, just slightly higher than the Amazon's on-sale prices but lower than other places.
I got these two from them, "Devil in the Flesh" & "Story of a Love Affair"

Last edited by wildeny; 04-22-06 at 03:53 AM.