Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

40's Movies - Part 2 - Help me select my next three from Netflix, please. :)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which movies should I put at the top of my Netflix queue?
Gaslight
12.00%
Maltese Falcon
46.00%
Notorious
38.00%
Out of the Past
6.00%
Philadelphia Story
20.00%
Shadow of A Doubt
16.00%
The Big Sleep
14.00%
The Third Man
48.00%
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
44.00%
Other
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stealing from another thread is ok, I hope. After looking at FRwL's thread on 40s movies, I realized that I have a bit of catching up to do.

The list I've provided came from all of the great suggestions from FRwL's thread, along with a few that I know I need to see. So please help me select the next few films I should get from Netflix. I'll put these at the top of my list, depending on people's suggestions. Feel free to use the Other category, if there's some glaring titles missing. I haven't seen any of these, I'm afraid to say... Don't tell anyone at my work, though, they think I'm a "film buff".

Oh, I wanted to include "Laura" and "Mrs. Miniver", but ran out of options...

Thanks for your suggestions!
Modfather

Last edited by modfather; 04-18-06 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

definately see The Third Man and Shadow of a Doubt (my fav. Hitchcock ---- and Alfred's fav. too)
Old 04-18-06, 01:24 PM

My picks are Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Gaslight, The Third Man.
Old 04-18-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went with Notorious, Treasure of Sierra Madre, and The Maltese Falcon.

I'd also go with the Third Man and Philadelphia Story too though.
Old 04-18-06, 02:05 PM

for pure enjoyment i'd go with Shadow of a Doubt and Treasure of Sierra Madre for sure, then it'd be a toss up between gaslight and out of the past, but the latter is essential noir.
Old 04-18-06, 02:15 PM

Wow, I actually envy you. To watch any three of these for the first time should be a great experience. I have every one of those movies and you can't go wrong with any of them. If you put a gun to my head, I'd have to pick Maltese Falcon, Laura, and Notorious simply because they're all so much fun. Happy viewing!
Old 04-18-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
Maltese Falcon
Third Man
Old 04-18-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jeepers, you haven't seen any of those? Prepare for some amazing cinema... You need to watch all of them but since you're only asking for three...

Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Third Man and Notorious.

Then The Maltese Falcon, Shadow of a Doubt and The Big Sleep.

Then Laura, Out of the Past and Philadelphia Story.

Then...
Old 04-18-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gaslight, Notorious, and Casablanca and have a Ingrid Bergman mini film festival!
Old 04-18-06, 04:49 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nobody ever went wrong with Hitchcock...
Old 04-18-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Jeepers, you haven't seen any of those?
I've only seen The Maltese Falcon from that list.
Old 04-19-06, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
A great list of flicks. The following are the ones I've seen, the ones I recommend are in bold:

Gaslight
Maltese Falcon
Notorious
Shadow of A Doubt
The Big Sleep
The Third Man
Old 04-19-06, 01:43 AM
En vacance

A sequel thread! Well i'm flattered modfather.
Of what i've seen the '40s is the most critic-proof for decades, probably because it's the most character-driven film decade and darkest with the 70s right behind.

Also if you haven't seen it, John Ford's They Were Expendable is one of the most unconventional war films for its time for a non happy ending, come to think of it a certain 1980 film did the same. The film is a delaying fight against the Japanese behemoth during their invasion of the Philippines seen through the eyes of the PT Boat crew's fleeting attempts knowing all too their inevitable pessimistic fate. John Wayne is excellent as always. Also see Wayne's Red River

Also Olivier's rousing Henry V and his Hamlet film which is the best on the troubled Dane.
From this noir decade see Cagney return to his gangster role as his sneering and psychotic self for the first time since the 30s in White Heat
Old 04-19-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
modfather....cool list! My choices would be:

The Big Sleep
Philadelphia Story

Photo from "To Have and Have Not"
Old 04-19-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Third Man, Maltese Falcon, Notorious.
Old 04-20-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, all, I'm going to see these all next, but today I should be getting Maltese Falcon and the Third Man.

I watched a different movie from the 40s last night - Arsenic and Old Lace. I read on IMDB I think, that Cary Grant didn't like the kind of character he played. But I found it interesting and fun to see him play somewhat slapstick, rather than the traditional James Bond-like character.

What a dark comedy for the times! There were times I was genuinely scared, and many times where I was laughing out loud. I can't say enough good about Arsenic and Old Lace. I'm sure most of you have seen it, but I love this movie! It was a blind gift (rather than a blind buy - mother-in-law gave it to me).
Old 04-20-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Philadelphia Story - the greatest romantic comedy ever.
Shadow of a Doubt - I think Hitchcock once cited this as his personal favorite.
The Third Man - it's a masterpiece.
Old 04-20-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, Arsenic and Old Lace is excellent... Enjoy your visit to the 40's, you might not leave that often...
Old 04-25-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've watched my first two:

The Maltese Falcon & The Thin Man

The Maltese Falcon has instantly worked its way into my top 3 of all-time favorite films. The mood, the acting, and cinematography are beyond top-notch. Sam Spade is my new hero - just when you think you have him figured out, the ending comes along and changes everything. I could say alot more about this movie, but those who've seen it don't need to hear it from a schlep like me... A+++

The Thin Man is fantastic fun. To me, it's like reading a novel. You're taken away on a ride of mystery and intrigue. The husband/wife team are fantastic together - what chemsitry. Does any Hollywood couple in the last thirty years come close? I don't think so. To me, this is a movie you have to watch more than once. I did have some problems remembering all the characters, but a second viewing is in the plans. He's a bit of an alcoholic, huh? I thought I had this one figured out when they all sat down to dinner, only to change my mind at the very last second to the right person - but maybe I'm just tricking myself. The Thin Man is definitely a keeper and I'll be buying both of these wonderful DVDs.

I think my next two are going to be Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Philadelphia Experiment. Just wondering, though, are the sequels to the Thin Man's up to the same standards?

Anyway, what great movies those are. As they say, "they don't make them like they used to"...
Old 04-25-06, 11:16 AM

Hey mod,

Your reviews of Maltese Falcon and Thin Man were right on the nose. I'm really happy that you liked them as much as many of us do. Hold off on buying the Thin Man until you can get the Thin Man set. It has all 6 films plus a bonus disc, and they're all super-enjoyable. It's about $44 at DDD right now but should be about $35 during the sale. Also, I believe Maltese Falcon is coming out as a 2-disc later this year but I'm not sure when. There's more info about that in the DVD Talk area. Enjoy your next batch!
Old 04-25-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by modfather
I think my next two are going to be Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Philadelphia Experiment.
you mean The Philadelphia Story?
Old 04-25-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I would hold off on The Maltese Falcon, a SE is coming.
Old 04-25-06, 01:15 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
The Third Man
Gaslight 1940 version
Gaslight 1944 version
Old 04-25-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

did you mean to watch The Third Man instead of The Thin Man? The Thin Man isn't even on the poll (unless, perhaps, someone recommended it as an "other")
Old 04-25-06, 05:00 PM

Hmmm. That's funny. I think modfather meant to watch the Third Man instead of the Thin Man, which is a 1930s film. I know I'm in the minority here, but Third Man to me is in the same class as Citizen Kane. Both films are worshipped by critics and film students but I find them both boring as far as the story is concerned. They're fine if you're going to pick them apart and analyze them. That's my opinion, of course, and I still think modfather should watch Third Man and make up his own mind. It would be a good barometer of his movie tastes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.