Reload this Page >

Hellraiser III --> 8/8/06

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-18-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who don't have the R2 versions, DVD Empire has Hellraiser III listed for preorder on 8/8. Not sure if it will be the unrated version as the specs show it as rated R, though DVDEmpire puts up generic specs (including the default "fullscreen" listing, which hopefully applies here) on early title listings.
Old 04-18-06, 08:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
if it ain't unrated - no sale!
Old 04-18-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

R2 all the way baby!
Old 04-18-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
So R2 was widescreen? That'll be ridiculous if they rerelease this as the same R-rated fullscreen as before!
Old 04-18-06, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
if it ain't unrated - no sale!
Does this indicate that you refuse to purchase a movie unless it's unrated? If the R-rated version will be the only DVD release, then you'll have no other alternative if you want the movie. Certainly, every movie has deleted scenes, but they are not essentially unrated. It depend on the specific film.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 04-18-06 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think what Giles is saying is that other regions have more promising transfers, so he/she wouldn't bother with the R1 release if it's not the unrated cut (or if it's fullscreen as before, which is still possible!).

Also, I believe Giles is ralteing their comment to this movie only. Most movies don't get the unrated treatment in any region regardless, so you'd be missing out on a LOT of movies if you limited yourself to unrated releases!

The R2 set is really the best out there. All three movies in one box, and it's cheap to boot.
Old 04-18-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will I finally get rid of the Canadian import?
Old 04-18-06, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
Will I finally get rid of the Canadian import?
Which, by the way, was the unrated version even though the case said "R".
Old 04-18-06, 12:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ShagMan
I think what Giles is saying is that other regions have more promising transfers, so he/she wouldn't bother with the R1 release if it's not the unrated cut (or if it's fullscreen as before, which is still possible!).

Also, I believe Giles is ralteing their comment to this movie only. Most movies don't get the unrated treatment in any region regardless, so you'd be missing out on a LOT of movies if you limited yourself to unrated releases!

The R2 set is really the best out there. All three movies in one box, and it's cheap to boot.
thanks Shag - so the R2 is the uncut version? I have the Japanese laserdisc version, but I'd like an unrated DVD edition.
Old 04-18-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Does this indicate that you refuse to purchase a movie unless it's unrated? If the R-rated version will be the only DVD release, then you'll have no other alternative if you want the movie. Certainly, every movie has deleted scenes, but they are not essentially unrated. It depend on the specific film.

He is not saying he won't by any film unless it is unrated. He is stating he will not buy THIS film if it is not released unrated and with good reason!

The unrated 97 minute version of the film is the original directors cut of the film,which received an NC-17. It was then heavily cut down in the gore department to receive an R rating. And a few good charecter bits that help flesh out the plot more were also deleted.

Also since the film had previously been released in R & Unrated versions by Paramount no less on VHS(& laserdisc unrated only I think). It makes no sense for them to release the R rated version only.

No one was dying to own Sliver,but Paramount went ahead and released that on dvd unrated at least. So hopefully they would do the same with Hellraiser 3. But if not,it is truly a shame and would be best left avoided.

And I myself won't purchase this R1 release if it is the R rated version only. I've avoided the Return of the Living Dead 3 R rated release from Lions Gate since it was heavily cut(to the point it harms the film). And despite being the only dvd release of that film in R1. I can wait and live without owning it and just stick with my unrated VHS for now.

It's all about how much the censorship cuts affect a film. Once you begin drastically editing down a gory or sexually explicit film that was intended to be explicit. The impact of the film begins to diminish and the 'shocking' scenes no longer shock and become limp and ineffective.
Old 04-18-06, 02:18 PM

Hi-res cover artwork is now up.
Old 04-18-06, 04:46 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Is this the version that you were referring to as being the Unrated Cut, despite being listed as the R-rated Cut?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

I have that version, but if there are enough extras on this re-release, then I will probably pick it up.
Old 04-18-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
He is not saying he won't by any film unless it is unrated. He is stating he will not buy THIS film if it is not released unrated and with good reason!

The unrated 97 minute version of the film is the original directors cut of the film,which received an NC-17. It was then heavily cut down in the gore department to receive an R rating. And a few good charecter bits that help flesh out the plot more were also deleted.

Also since the film had previously been released in R & Unrated versions by Paramount no less on VHS(& laserdisc unrated only I think). It makes no sense for them to release the R rated version only.

No one was dying to own Sliver,but Paramount went ahead and released that on dvd unrated at least. So hopefully they would do the same with Hellraiser 3. But if not,it is truly a shame and would be best left avoided.

And I myself won't purchase this R1 release if it is the R rated version only. I've avoided the Return of the Living Dead 3 R rated release from Lions Gate since it was heavily cut(to the point it harms the film). And despite being the only dvd release of that film in R1. I can wait and live without owning it and just stick with my unrated VHS for now.

It's all about how much the censorship cuts affect a film. Once you begin drastically editing down a gory or sexually explicit film that was intended to be explicit. The impact of the film begins to diminish and the 'shocking' scenes no longer shock and become limp and ineffective.

but this is paramount, who in vhs and ld released ONLY the unrated version of THEIF OF HEARTS, yet on DVD, released the R version! On VHS, they put out the directors cut of JADE, on DVD, the R cut, and of course refuse to put out uncut version of MY BLOODY VALENTINE and the FRIDAY THE 13TH films. Doesn't look good.....
Old 04-18-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, Patrick posted the TERRIBLE news:

R-rated
Dolby Surround
No Features

However, it is gonna be in 16x9, so that (kinda) makes up.

Last edited by ReduxGuy; 04-18-06 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-18-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got the unrated/uncut LD version, so if the DVD is the cut version, I won't bother.
Old 04-18-06, 05:34 PM

Here is just some of the material in the uncut version of the film taken from imdb.com. It's pretty accurate since I've seen both versions and noticed the big difference at the time.

Some of the things trimmed from the Boiler Room massacre include:
A man cutting his face on a broken martini glass.
A woman getting half of her face ripped off by a hook.
A more graphic creation of the CD Cenobite
A man getting his jaw ripped off by a hook.
A reference to the Female Cenobite from the first two films with a woman getting her throat sliced in half and the flesh being pulled to the sides by wires.
A long line of people hooked together, including a chain to the throat for one woman and through the chest for one man.

In the Unrated version of the film the first sex scene is a great deal longer and more explicit.

The uncut version also contains more insert cuts of dead soilders and gore in the trenches (when Joey makes her ghostly visit to WW1). And theres a new short scene before J.P discovers that the box is missing from the pillar of souls. The scene opens with the last employees of the "Boiler room" leaving and saying Goodbye to J.P. The scene is ap. 10 sec and ends with J.P comming out of his office.

Immediately after Terri moves out from Joey, there is a scene inside the Boiler Room nightclub where a couple are seen buying some drugs from a drug dealer. Terri is in the Boiler Room, where she witnesses a couple in love, which makes her even more lonely. Next, she purchases some coffee, and looks up to see JP who says "Hey baby, glad you could make it." This new scene ends here; next JP is seen telling Terri to "come on in" to his room. When Elliot tells Joey about his past, they are standing around a campfire. There is a new scene immediately before the footage from Hellbound (Elliot playing with box at start), in which Elliot is seen buying the box in an Indian bazaar

Some things not mentioned on imdb.com but are also uncut in the film. Includes the female from the sex scene slowly being engulfed skinless into the pillar. In the R version,it's a flash cut blink and you miss it scene that makes it look like she was pulled in at the speed of light.

JPs death sequence is longer and far more gruesome,while in the R version it's quick and jumpy deleting a huge chunk of the actual impact and torturous aftermath.

More dialogue and blasphemy durring the 'priest' sequence near the finale. Some nice nasty gore is fully cut from the R version of this scene.

A tiny bit more gore with the cenobites rampaging on the streets near the end.

So as you can see,the R version is best left avoided and the unrated version is the only way to see the real movie.

The least Paramount could have done was a seemless branching option to include the uncut version. I wish more studios would take advantage of this!
Old 04-18-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
Well, Patrick posted the TERRIBLE news:

R-rated
Dolby Surround
No Features

However, it is gonna be in 16x9, so that (kinda) makes up.
Only if it's $4.99. CRAP!!

Question: When "Bloodline", the 4th one, was initally released to the renters market wasn't it unrated also? The DVD version is R-rated.
Old 04-18-06, 08:29 PM

Bloodline was never released unrated and neither were any of the Hellraisers since then. Though the series got worse from Bloodline on down.

HR3 I always thought was a fun film with some memorable bits scattered throughout. But it's pretty much pointless in the R rated version.
Old 04-18-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
the R2 version released via Anchor Bay was also available outside the boxset am I correct?
Old 04-18-06, 11:31 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Only if it's $4.99. CRAP!!

Question: When "Bloodline", the 4th one, was initally released to the renters market wasn't it unrated also? The DVD version is R-rated.
There is no unrated cut for Bloodline. Clive Barker wrote me in a letter and said that the theatrical cut is the only cut.
Old 04-18-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Originally Posted by salamander2
but this is paramount, who in vhs and ld released ONLY the unrated version of THEIF OF HEARTS, yet on DVD, released the R version! On VHS, they put out the directors cut of JADE, on DVD, the R cut, and of course refuse to put out uncut version of MY BLOODY VALENTINE and the FRIDAY THE 13TH films. Doesn't look good.....
Yeah, Paramount are a bunch of assholes when it comes to releasing horror movies unrated.

I don't get it myself... when you're looking at cult titles like My Bloody Valentine, Hellraiser 3, and Friday the 13th movies, releasing them unrated is a huge selling point to fans of the horror genre.

But then they'll turn around and give "Sliver" an unrated DVD when very few people even give a shit about the movie.

Paramount can keep this shit. I won't be bothering with any of these titles until they pull their head out of their ass and do right by them.
Old 04-18-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KatjaKassin
There is no unrated cut for Bloodline. Clive Barker wrote me in a letter and said that the theatrical cut is the only cut.
I don't think Clive Barker really had much to do with the series by that point. Considering that the director Alan Smithee'd the movie, I'm guessing there is an alternate version out there somewhere, but it's never been released.
Old 04-19-06, 01:17 AM

Does anyone know of any regional code hack programs,so I can play PAL/R2 releases on my laptop? I'd love to get the AnchorBay UK release of the film if it is really the full uncut version.
Old 04-19-06, 05:08 AM

It's a tough call!
Old 04-19-06, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Does anyone know of any regional code hack programs,so I can play PAL/R2 releases on my laptop? I'd love to get the AnchorBay UK release of the film if it is really the full uncut version.
You could try Region Free Lite

Or an excellent free app called DVDGenie. It's old so may not work with a lot of DVDROM drives, however.

Last edited by Reservoir; 04-19-06 at 05:18 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.