Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Save 5% off DDD to try "Great Fun" promo

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save 5% off DDD to try "Great Fun" promo

Did anyone else get a $5 check from DDD in the mail? On the back of the check where you endorse it, it states:

READ CAREFULLY: PLEASE ENDORSE AND CASH OR DEPOSIT THIS CHECK TO AUTOMATICALLY ACITIVATE YOUR RISK-FREE TRIAL AND MEMBERSHIP. Unless I notify you to discontinue my Great Fun membership during the one-month trial period, my membership will be automatically extended for an additional eleven months and billed at the $119.99 annual membership fee. My membership will be automatically renewed at the full $129.99 annual membership fee for the second year, and renewed at the then-current fee each year thereafter, and by endorsing this check, I agree that the annual membership fees will be billed to the credit card used for my recent DeepDiscountDVD.com purchase, without my having to do anything futher. My satisfaction is important. I may call toll free 1-877-228-2667 to cancel at any time for a refund of the unused portion of my then-current membership fee. This $5.00 is mine to keep!
The subsequent material says that you get 5% off DDD and DDCD purchases and "10% to 50% off at over 25,000 participating restaurants worldwide."

I guess this would be great to coincide with any sales that DDD may be having.
Old 04-17-06, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
It's at the bottom of most of the DDD pages and pops up after you order something. It's been there for a long time.

https://www.greatfunsite.com/global/...fINFINITYrbt01
Old 04-17-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

whoops. Thought I found something new. sorry for the false alarm all.
Old 04-17-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe its just me, but i dun think ddd needs to do this kind of gimmicky stuff just to make extra $.
Old 04-17-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

does anyone know if you get the 5% on price matches?
Old 04-17-06, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey! They sent me a check for only $2.50 to try this program. What gives? (Not that I would have joined anyway. )
Old 04-17-06, 08:33 PM

Wow, you'd have to spend $200 a month on DVDs just to break even. No thanks.
Old 04-17-06, 09:06 PM

Wow, you'd have to spend $200 a month on DVDs just to break even. No thanks.
I could do that if they give the 5% on price matches to. That is averaged with the 2 20 % sales each year.
Old 04-18-06, 06:59 AM
Cool New Member

*5% discount cannot be combined with any other promotion or discount.

It doesn't say this on the site when you're just visiting, but when I'm logged into my account, it adds the asterisk information.
http://greatfunsite.com/
Old 04-18-06, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I used the 5% off this month to pick up a few things including the MST3K Vol 9 set and a few HD DVD titles. Really have to remember to cancel it though.
Old 04-18-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
While I haven't used this company, I have used Reservation Rewards.
Cancel *early*. I cancelled mine four or five workdays before the month was out, and they still tried to charge me. I had used my Paypal card, so it 'bounced'.

I don't know, saving 5% isn't worth risking this:
"Unless I notify you to discontinue my Great Fun membership during the one-month trial period, my membership will be automatically extended for an additional eleven months and billed at the $119.99 annual membership fee. My membership will be automatically renewed at the full $129.99 annual membership fee for the second year, and renewed at the then-current fee each year thereafter"

if you forget, or if you can't find the Cancel button, it would be a total pain in the ass to get your money back. And that's assuming they're legitimate.
Old 04-18-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are legitimate and so is Reservation Rewards (both part of the same company - Trilegiant).
I have now used Great Fun about 4 times in conjunction with DDD orders and about 6-7 times in conjunction with CH (Columbiahouse). Reservation Rewards, Traveler's Advantage and Shopper's Advantage I have used a couple of times with CH orders.
The common theme with all of these is that they all give you up to $20 cashback on your order in exchange for trying out their membership for free for one month. I've been getting many new releases for $1-$3 eqch after cashing these $20 checks. The one time I forgot to cancel before the 30 day trial period ended (I was about 5 days late) Great Fun promptly refunded me the monthly membership fee (as per their T&C).
Trilegiant also have other companies like PC Safety Plus ($20 Circuitcity giftcards), Autovantage ($40 cashback on gas and cashback on oil changes) plus some other ones I forgot the name of. I've racked up quite a few giftcards (Circuitcity, Lowe's, Barnes & Noble etc.) plus gotten a few free tanks of gas. All for the hassle of a free trial membership (or sometimes $1) that you have to remember to cancel before it runs out. I'm already used to the hassle from CH so it works out fine for me
Old 04-18-06, 12:54 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I made a purchase at buy.com a couple of months ago, I got an offer for $25 cash back for trying Greatfun. I took it and mailed in my buy.com receipt for the $25. A month later I received a check in the mail.

It only took a phone call and persistence to get my trial membership canceled before the trial period ended. They would keep offering more cash back opportunity and trial extension just to keep you stay in their membership. Just keep saying 'no' until either you get a better offer you can't resist or they give up and cancel your membership.

While being a member, I got online access to their deal website. 5% off purchases at DDD and DDCD, plus some minimal savings at some retailers and restaurants that you probably won't care about.
Old 04-18-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I did the Buy.com thing as well. Seemed worth taking a shot at.
Old 04-18-06, 01:11 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah. It's probably worth the $25 cash back to try it out...but not for $5 though.