Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

U-Haul coupons?

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

U-Haul coupons?

Old 04-16-06, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U-Haul coupons?

Anyone know of any U-Haul coupons or deals?

thanks
Old 04-17-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, here is a hot tip

Stay away from U-Haul.

Thank me later. Get a Penske or Enterprise truck. You'll actually only load and unload the truck once.
Old 04-17-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could you elaborate, please? I'm going to be moving soon...
Old 04-17-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U haul trucks have a reputation of breaking down. So you are stuck on the side of the road while you wait hours for a replacement. Then you get to move everything into the new truck. Only to have it break down 50 miles later.

Only use Uhaul for their trailers.
Old 04-17-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting. Thanks!
Old 04-17-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sometimes you can get the rental truck companies to price match one another... are you doing a long distance one way or a local move?
Old 04-17-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asabase
U haul trucks have a reputation of breaking down. So you are stuck on the side of the road while you wait hours for a replacement. Then you get to move everything into the new truck. Only to have it break down 50 miles later.

Pretty much spot on. I've heard way too many horror stories of friends (or friends of friends) U-Haul trucks breaking down to ever recommend touching one again. I don't even think I would recommend it to my worst enemy.
Old 04-18-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by asabase

Exactly. Last year when I did my cross-country move, EVERY SINGLE truck that I saw broke down on the side of the road was an U-Haul (on average 1.5 to 2 per day). Thankfully we were in a Penske truck and did not have any problems...

Penske offers 10% off for online reservations, plus another 12% off if you have AAA membership. Depends on how much the rental costs, it might actually be worth it to get AAA for the 12% discount.
Old 04-19-06, 03:26 PM

I'm probably going to be moving cross county myself in a few months, so I've been doing some reseach in order to see what my options are and save money by planning ahead.

I highly recommend you check out www.movingscam.com - lots of good info and experiences on that site.

Following up on PAL's post - there is a referral link at apartments.com that will give you 10% off a penske reservation in addition to the 10% penske gives for online reservations. While not as good as AAA's 12%, it is an option for those who don't want/need AAA.

Last edited by magicmanej; 04-19-06 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-19-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I moved cross country five years ago from east to west. I saved money by making reservations at U-Haul and at Penske about 2 months in advance on the same day, but didn't tell either place I had a reservation with the other. Then I would call each place about once a week and say I had just inquired about making a reservation at the other place and they had beat their price (which wasn't true), and I'd like to cancel my reservation. Once they thought they'd lose my business, they'd match the price I had made up. Each time I called both businesses, I lowered the price between $50 to $100, and each time the company would beat it to keep me from cancelling. I did this for about 6 weeks until finally one would go no lower, and I cancelled my reservation and went with the other, which happened to ne Penske. If I remember, I saved a total of $600, which included Penske throwing in a $150 car tow dolly for free because I told them U-Haul was going to do it for me. Never once did either company check to see if I was telling the truth about the other's prices. I'm gussing this can still be done.

Some might call this shady or dishonest, but who cares. In the end, I saved hundreds, and since that's what you're looking to do, I recommend this as an option. It takes a little time, but if it still works, it'll be worth it.
Old 04-19-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is awesome.
Old 04-20-06, 06:10 AM

Uhaul is also famous for overbooking their vehicles. There is nothing more frustrating than carefully planning your move, and Uhaul not having the vehicle you reserved.
Old 04-20-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My uhaul story:

Knowing Uhaul's issues I made a reservation 2 1/2 months in advance for my brother-in-law's move. Went to pick up my 17 footer and was told all the trucks were broke down and they only had vans and hitch trailers

I asked when did they break down? Answer I got was 10 trucks have broken down over the last 2 weeks. So next I had to ask when were they going to tell me about it?

I pretty much bitched and cursed for a good bit of time until they found me a 10 footer a few miles away and gave it to me for free. Which wasn't worth the level of stress I felt at that moment and the fact we had to make 2 trips instead of one. I imagine if it had been my own move I may have went to jail that day or at least had assualt charges for beating the dumb & ill managed.
Old 04-21-06, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's funny, but after reading this thread the last day or 2, I've become more conscious of U-Haul trucks. Today I saw 2 of them broken down on my 25 mile drive to work. I guess they really are as shitty as everyone says.
Old 04-21-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Unfortunately the market seems to disagree with your assessment of U-Haul as a company.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=UHAL...=on&z=m&q=l&c=

From about a low of $20 to $105 is just under two years. The majority of the gains coming in the past year.
Old 04-26-06, 05:56 AM

Location: Huntington WVA.. but not a back woods country bumpkin
uhaul... a joke... used them in city for deliverys every once in awhile... streering wheels were alaways a rough turn, radios rarely worked, interior made you think you were on a bus going into mexico..... enterprise was alaways a nice ride... smooth and everything just had a more "better taken care of" feel
Old 04-26-06, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by neiname
Unfortunately the market seems to disagree with your assessment of U-Haul as a company.

From about a low of $20 to $105 is just under two years. The majority of the gains coming in the past year.
Come on man, you of all people should know ... A good company does not mean a good stock.
Old 04-26-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by neiname

Taken from Better Business Bureau...

CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE

Complaints have been processed by the Bureau in a three-year reporting period. Specifically, many complaints allege unavailability of reserved equipment. Other complaints concern customer service issues and poor condition of equipment at the time of rental or on the road, which are typical for the industry. The company has responded to all complaints presented by the Bureau.

Closed Complaints
Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 36 Months: 3698

Most people I know that have used U-Haul, do not have good things to say about them. From my past experiences with them, I certainly won't use them again.

Last edited by cpgator; 04-26-06 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-26-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard horror stories too with U-haul. You think they would be cheaper but my situation Budget was much less cheaper. I checked Penske too. The 16' truck I picked up only had about 18,000 miles and was in good condition overall. It was a Ford truck if that means anything.

Best thing to do with Budget is to book online for a 20% discount.