Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What game should I play next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 11:54 AM
tpc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What game should I play next?

This is a very low content post, but I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to play next. I don't like exceptionally long games, as I maybe get an hour a day to play on average. I will, however make an exception for a particularly brilliant game.

Tonight, I'm finishing up a season in a NASCAR game I've been playing, and this weekend, I'm going to get through God Of War finally... but after that, I don't know what I want to do. I've never played any of these games, but they're all on that "I've been meaning to" list.

*Metroid Prime
*GTA: San Andreas
*KIngdom Hearts
*Pikmin
*Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
*Paper Mario: The Thousand year Door (or whatever it's called)
*Resident Evil 4
*Beyond Good & Evil.

I pretty much limit my purchases to $20. Not that I can't go more, but there are so many good games I've not gotten around to yet that it's just not necessary, so I was wondering which of the above list you would most recommend,
Old 04-10-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a good list of games to get to! I'd start with Beyond Good & Evil.. it's brisk but a great game that needs more fans/exposure. After that I'd say Kingdom Hearts or Metroid Prime.. those two being my personal two favorite games of this generation and, quite frankly, those two are the reason I got back into video games in the first places, they're both brilliant.
Old 04-10-06, 12:10 PM

A second vote for BG&E. If I remember correctly, it took me about 7-8 hours to finish, but I loved every second.
Old 04-10-06, 12:18 PM
tpc

Is BG&E available on the Cube? I can get it for PS2 if not, but I always lean toward the Cube when available, as I find it easier to game with the Wavebird. I was kinda leaning that way anyhow.
Old 04-10-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
RE4. BG&E was amazing, but IMO RE4 is one of the best games we've seen since the SNES days. I'd start with that.
Old 04-10-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BG&E is on Cube.. it's the version I have.
Old 04-10-06, 12:25 PM
Banned

id do RE4, then KH1 then KH2..
Old 04-10-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Save RE:4 for the last. Once you play that, you won't want to play anything else.

(I can vouch for Metroid, GTA, and Paper Mario as being really fun, good games, too. Pikmin's alright, but I became bored with it fairly quickly.)
Old 04-10-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
RE4 and Metroid Prime are my two favorite of that bunch. Recommend both, highly.

Pikmin is fun, but yeah, it gets old fast. I tend to get bored of the GTA titles long before finishing them, didn't care for Kingdom Hearts, and Paper Mario: TTYD didn't do it for me. BG&E was pretty solid.
Old 04-10-06, 01:37 PM

another vote for RE4 and Metroid Prime they are my two favorite of that bunch.
Old 04-10-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RE4 and Metroid Prime...and good luck putting either of them down.

Metroid Prime is the superior game of the two IMO but it requires a bit more of an investment as well. It's a massive and fairly wide open world with some genuine puzzle solving and a lot of backtracking. If you know Metroid games, you pretty much know what to expect. My favorite game of this generation bar none...and certainly the most immersive I've seen.

RE4 seems to fit your style better. RE4 is linear...some may say different...but it is what it is. There's never more than 2 or 3 ways to go and only 1 is ever unlocked. I would think that you could get through RE4 in a weekend or two, and it's the sort of game you could do in increments and not lose your place (it has chapters for instance). I can't put my finger on why, but it also has a lot of replay value. I went through 3 times and am currently on my first in "professional" mode.
Old 04-10-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I vote BG&E first, it is a short game that you can blow through in a couple days (about 8 hours) and a great story intertwined with the gameplay that will keep you playing nonstop.

After that I would start RE4, one of the best games this generation. It took me around 25 hours, but I went pretty slow, you could probably make it through much quicker.
Old 04-10-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Let me be the 4th to say Beyond good & Evil. One of my top 5 games of that generation.

Followed by Metroid: Prime or Pikmin.

Haven't played any of the others.
Old 04-10-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BG&E gets another vote here. Thousand Year Door is a fun game but I grew tired of it quicker than I hoped. Kingdom Hearts is one game I wish I would f tried before I sold my PS2.

Pikmin was cool but if you haven't played it yet.....there is no real hurry as long as you promise to try it. It was an ok rental but it gets major credit for being so far out there.

At the bottom of the list I would put GTA:SA. I really loved III and VC but they lost me with the latest installment.

You certainly have a tough choice to make.
Old 04-11-06, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BG&E again. It is one of those games that is just perfect in nearly every way. It has a really good story, tight and interesting gameplay, and it's very unique. I loved RE4, but I would put BG&E ahead of it.

However I would suggest whatever game you're going to play, you should play Pikmin along with it. It does get old like others have said, but only if you play it straight through. Keep it as a secondary title and complete a task or two here and there and it should keep your interest.
Old 04-11-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I would go with GTA:SA. Even though i own BG&E, i have never actually played it yet so can't recommend it like all the others are doing.
I would also add Ico to your list if you haven't played it already.
Old 04-11-06, 11:51 AM
tpc

Well, I'm going to eventually get around to all of them. I think BG&E will be the first choice, though.
Old 04-11-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Resident Evil 4 and Kingdom Hearts.