Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

new Phantasm dvds ever?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

new Phantasm dvds ever?

Old 04-09-06, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new Phantasm dvds ever?

There is only one region 1 release for Phantasm and its OOP and i havent seen it in any stores and want it. I dont even think Phantasm 2 was ever released on dvd. Are there ever gonna be new releases of these films on dvd?
Old 04-09-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. I didn't realize that it went OOP either. There is a nice R2 PAL set that comes with a plastic sphere that has all 4 movies.
Maybe I will sell my Phantasm R1 to help fund the R2 set.
Old 04-09-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by GameGenie
I dont even think Phantasm 2 was ever released on dvd.
Or part 3 for that matter.
Old 04-09-06, 07:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Old 04-09-06, 09:08 PM

Where can that R2 Sphere box set be purchased other than ebay?
Old 04-09-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...001851-8395933
Old 04-10-06, 02:42 AM

or

"Phantasm 5 disk Boxset"
Old 04-10-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Anchorbay UK set (Sphere and box) is great. And, for those who don't want the sphere, the box is very reasonably priced. Because of studio rights on the different films in the US, we probably won't see a set like this in R1.
Old 04-10-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for the R2-UK Phantasm sets, it's easy to order (amazon.co.uk), your US account info is already in their system, and region-unlockable players are dime a dozen.
Old 04-10-06, 09:13 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is officially the coolest international release I've ever seen...
Old 04-10-06, 09:21 AM

As ever I would have reservations about fancy packaging like the Sphere set. While they look very cool, they can actually stores the discs very badly and make them a real trial to get in and out. As anyone who bought any of Anchor Bays sets that came in a special coffin-shaped box with a clever fanfold mechanism will tell you. Coffin shaped, how appropriate it was for the condition of the discs...

This is a particular consideration if you're shipping them from another country, this involves an awful lot of handling, some of it will be pretty rough. The last thing you want is a package from overseas where the discs have come free and scratched themselves to crap.

Also it makes me wonder what the Customs would make if they decide to open the box for inspection and find a silver sphere with knives sticking out of it...

This is not to say that the Sphere set in particular has a bad rep (I don't own it anyway). But I dislike "clever packaging" because it so often doesn't actually work!

Last edited by Nebiroth; 04-10-06 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-10-06, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as customs go, just order it from Xploited Cinema, since they're in the US and you'll get it within a week. Any Phantasm fan needs to do themselves a favor and get this set.
Old 04-10-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the R2 box, a great set. Do yourself a favor and get a cheap region free player. You'll love it.
Old 04-10-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nebiroth
As ever I would have reservations about fancy packaging like the Sphere set. While they look very cool, they can actually stores the discs very badly and make them a real trial to get in and out. As anyone who bought any of Anchor Bays sets that came in a special coffin-shaped box with a clever fanfold mechanism will tell you. Coffin shaped, how appropriate it was for the condition of the discs...

This is a particular consideration if you're shipping them from another country, this involves an awful lot of handling, some of it will be pretty rough. The last thing you want is a package from overseas where the discs have come free and scratched themselves to crap.

Also it makes me wonder what the Customs would make if they decide to open the box for inspection and find a silver sphere with knives sticking out of it...

This is not to say that the Sphere set in particular has a bad rep (I don't own it anyway). But I dislike "clever packaging" because it so often doesn't actually work!
I actually own the sphere version, and the packaging is actually very good, as far as shipping and access. It's shipped in a plastic vacu-formed clamshell type thing, and put into a square box, and the prongs aren't attached when shipped. The inside of the sphere has dark foam with five slots cut that the discs slide into, so there's zero chance of a "floater". The top 1/2 of the sphere lifts to access the discs. The sphere is supported on a small plastic donut thingy to keep it from rolling around. Overall a very good implementation by Anchor bay, much better than their easily-crushable and poor-fitted Hellraiser cube (although it looks cool on the shelf!).
Old 04-10-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As ever I would have reservations about fancy packaging like the Sphere set.
In this case, it works well.

I got mine from Amazon UK. The Sphere is in a bigger box (as shown in the picture above). Also, the discs cannot come free because they fit inside the Sphere with little clearance. They cannot rub together because they are in the foam (see the picture).

Also the "knives" are not attached to the ball during shipment. You slide those in after you open the box and remove the Sphere (so they cannot break off during shipment).
Old 04-10-06, 01:41 PM

ah it's OK then. I wasn't complaining about the Sphere set in particular, I just don't like "clever" packaging that much as it so often turns out to be badly designed in lots of ways.

The A.B. "Coffin" boxsets were notorious for example. As I know only too well.

Glad to hear folks have had no problems with this one which I have to admit does look very nice indeed.
Old 04-10-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any difference between the sphere set and the regular boxset? Besides the sphere though.
Old 04-10-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrPink
Any difference between the sphere set and the regular boxset? Besides the sphere though.
Nothing. They're the same discs.
Old 04-10-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully, any Customs Agent would be able to tell that it is obviously plastic.
Old 04-10-06, 06:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by sarah99
yeah...i'm going to have to go with the "Sphere".

the dvd's are set inside with slits cut into a nice soft foam for all 5 discs. very easy to get out. one of the cornerstones of my collection...

Old 04-11-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Covers too!

http://www.ultimate-horror.com/phant...stomcovers.htm
Old 04-12-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've ordered thousands of dollars of DVDs from Amazon UK and never once had customs inspect them.

I also got all the Anchor Bay sets in "gimick" packaging and didn't have a single problem, although it does sound like lots of people did.

But the non sphere R2 box set is also an option for those scared of the sphere.