Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I think I got a bootleg at Best Buy

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-09-06, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was in Best Buy tonight and spotted a dvd that I have never seen. It's a Motorhead dvd called The Birthday Party. It is an all region disc and all the writing on the case is in, I believe Portugese. The packaging was ripped and the tags looked old. I looked it up on the Best Buy site but they didn't have it listed. I asked an employee about it and one of the numbers he entered off the disc was in their system. He even verified the price of $4.99, so I bought it.

I have looked a little online and the best I can figure out is that it is a Brazilian bootleg from a vhs tape of a show that was recorded in 1985. I didn't think places like Best Buy were supposed to sell bootlegs. So I am wondering if this is a real release or a bootleg. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-09-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, it looks like it could be partially legitimate..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008DDSW/

"The tenth anniversary live show from 1985 plus a discography, biography of the band & gallery of photos. English audio. Brazilian-only import, NTSC and region 0 encoded, so it will play on all North American and every all-code DVD player."

Amazon sells it directly..or at least have in the past...it looks like anyways..

I found it in DVD Profiler ..spanish on the artwork..and no UPC ..maybe bestbuy put a sticker over it?

http://www.sdcd.com/ looks like the company who distributes it in america..
Old 04-09-06, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
They also had a Brazilian Prince DVD for Sign 'O' the Times that's sketchy.

So, after bootylicious babes, Brazil's second biggest export seems to be DVDs..
Old 04-12-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
There's actually a number of music titles that are available from South America which are legitimate, but for one reason or another haven't been issued in the US.