Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else suck at video games [online]?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-06, 06:20 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't believe how bad I got owned in Madden 06 and Top Spin 2 last nite. I didn't even win a set. Are people out there just that good or do I just suck?
Old 04-07-06, 06:29 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I get killed. I have no time to play much and practice, so when I take Mario Kart or Metroid online on the DS I get my ass handed to me.
Old 04-07-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

back in the 1980's I used to play F-117 stealth fighter and Red Storm Rising on the hardest level and win on my C-64. Somewhere along the line I started playing on the easy levels just to get past the game. Trying to change it now.

Haven't played Madden 06 yet, but the older versions used to cheat like crazy so I never bothered to try to beat it on the hardest levels.
Old 04-07-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 181 Posts
Don't beat yourself up about it. There are lots of kids and people who don't have jobs or anything that play 24/7. It's hard to beat people that get that much practice.
Old 04-07-06, 08:10 PM

I suck pretty bad too. There's people that more or less live video games, it's all they do all day and all night. There's no way I can compete with that or that I'd even want to for that matter. How someone can sit there for 12 hours or more staring at the same game non-stop is beyond me.

I guess it takes the a lot of fun out of it when you always lose. I know it does for me. Oh well, there's other hobbies.
Old 04-07-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A good majority of online gamers do nothing but play that game. There will ALWAYS be 15 year olds who have the game memorized. So don't worry about it. The odds are simply against you.
Old 04-07-06, 09:05 PM

this is why online gaming is pretty much useless unless you can play with friends....I'll stick to single player
Old 04-07-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I suck royalty. I mean, put me in a single player game, and I will master it fairly easy. But I just don't have the countless hours to log into an online game. The last online game I really got involved in was Rainbow Six 3, but it I didn't quit because I sucked, it was because most people you meet online are complete assholes or racists.

I guess I kinda envy the people who have nothing better to do then play video games all day. They have the life I guess

P.S. I'm also anti-social, so I never talk. People also say I breathe into the mic all the time
Old 04-08-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,139 Posts
I dont' mind getting killed by legit good players but I hate it when a player realizes you're not as good as him and he goes after you all the time. I mean that sucks ass. That's also why when i get friend requests I always wonder if it's just because they think I'm an easy way to bring up their online points.
Old 04-08-06, 04:43 AM

I have yet to win a match in Metroid Prime Hunters. I also suck at Halo 2, Mario Kart, Mech Assaault, Crimson Skies. I can hold my own with Street Fighter vs. SNK 2.
After talking with some of the people on XBOX Live, I came to the same conclusion Maxflier did. There are too many people that spend all their waking hours playing the the game online.
Any Hunter players here that don't want to jump into a pool of sharks online every time should add me to their friends list.
Old 04-08-06, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a casual gamer so anytime I play on line I get handed my arse. But it's alright, I know I could beat the snot out of those 8-year olds and all is good in the world again.
Old 04-08-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mercury
I can hold my own with Street Fighter vs. SNK 2.

wanna play me on live?? add me
im assuming you mean Capcom vs snk 2
Old 04-08-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I dont' mind getting killed by legit good players but I hate it when a player realizes you're not as good as him and he goes after you all the time. I mean that sucks ass. That's also why when i get friend requests I always wonder if it's just because they think I'm an easy way to bring up their online points.

The only thing worse than people worrying about their online points and rankings to the point of trying to find a mark to beat, are people on message boards (thankfully that doesn't seem to be an issue here) who worry about their post counts.

I know I would get my ass handed to me on online games so I stick to single player. Nothing wrong with losing, but it's also no fun when you know you stand no chance of winning.
Old 04-08-06, 08:39 PM

All of us "sucky" players should get together sometime and play. Note the gamertag below.
Old 04-08-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 916 Likes on 650 Posts
I can usually hold my own. Not great but probably just above average online. If 10 were a perfect player and 1 a newb, I'd put myself around a 7.

I much prefer single player games, but that doesn't prevent me from hopping on a Halo2 or Burnout match with friends or on occasion against strangers.
Old 04-09-06, 04:57 AM

Oops, Capcom vs. SNK 2 . I would play you DVDKrayzie but I traded in the XBOX a year ago to get my DS. Still have this game, so maybe one day when I have a 360 :-)
Old 04-10-06, 02:23 AM

It all depends on the game for me. For example I am pretty damn good in Call of Duty 2, good in Quake 4 and decent in Dead or Alive 4 and Burnout Revenge. But I get my ass handed to me every time I play PGR3, Perfect Dark Zero, FarCry and the Battlefield 2 demo. Oh that damn demo. It's so embarrassing, I can't even fly the chopper without crashing into a building in the first three seconds. I also own GRAW but don't want to play online yet because I can't even complete the first level. It so damn complicated. I don't have the time to sit there and figure it all out. Maybe when my classes end I'll give it another shot.
Old 04-10-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Eric D.
It all depends on the game for me. For example I am pretty damn good in Call of Duty 2, good in Quake 4 and decent in Dead or Alive 4 and Burnout Revenge. But I get my ass handed to me every time I play PGR3, Perfect Dark Zero, FarCry and the Battlefield 2 demo. Oh that damn demo. It's so embarrassing, I can't even fly the chopper without crashing into a building in the first three seconds. I also own GRAW but don't want to play online yet because I can't even complete the first level. It so damn complicated. I don't have the time to sit there and figure it all out. Maybe when my classes end I'll give it another shot.
GRAW is actually awesome if you hook up with some friends online because you can play a could gametypes where it is you and your friends against the computer AI which means humans are giving you advice, planning assaults, etc. This is a big help if you are a rookie at the game.
Old 04-10-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I suck. That's why I don't play online. But then again I have a job and a life and can't play 12 hours a day like some people.
Old 04-10-06, 10:31 AM

I had an Xbox for ages (with a Live account) and never actually played a game online. I'd grab rosters, etc but never played an online match of anything.
Got the 360 in December and got Live account again, but at least now I could use it to download games, demos etc.
Finally made the jump and went to break my Live cherry a few months ago. I had GRAW and Burnout Revenge. Started with Burnout and got my arse handed to me. I usually HATE racing games but Burnout seems like a game meant for people who drive like I do in those games, but on live it seemed more like a regular racing game as everyone blasted by me so fast there was no chance for takedowns. Didn't help that most of the tracks I had never seen so I was crashing all over the place.
So I switched over to GRAW. I had won single player already so I figured I wouldn't be too bad. First game I found I got stuck in a spawn camper match with grenades. That sure was fun. Basically first day or two of playing it I'd get 0-3 kills and get owned. But I had found that I enjoyed it as long as I stuck to team elimination games that don't allow explosives, since there is nothing worse than making your way to an area only to be killed by someone randomly tossing grenades. Now after maybe 3 weeks of playing 1-2 nights a week I am able to keep up in most matches and at times get more kills than anyone else (though many of the people I am playing are probably no better than I was 3 weeks ago). But it is fun now and ya figure on 2 teams of 16 you gotta be better than SOMEONE.

Gamertag: Jamieson22
Old 04-10-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jamieson22
I had an Xbox for ages (with a Live account) and never actually played a game online. I'd grab rosters, etc but never played an online match of anything.
Got the 360 in December and got Live account again, but at least now I could use it to download games, demos etc.
Finally made the jump and went to break my Live cherry a few months ago. I had GRAW and Burnout Revenge. Started with Burnout and got my arse handed to me. I usually HATE racing games but Burnout seems like a game meant for people who drive like I do in those games, but on live it seemed more like a regular racing game as everyone blasted by me so fast there was no chance for takedowns. Didn't help that most of the tracks I had never seen so I was crashing all over the place.
So I switched over to GRAW. I had won single player already so I figured I wouldn't be too bad. First game I found I got stuck in a spawn camper match with grenades. That sure was fun. Basically first day or two of playing it I'd get 0-3 kills and get owned. But I had found that I enjoyed it as long as I stuck to team elimination games that don't allow explosives, since there is nothing worse than making your way to an area only to be killed by someone randomly tossing grenades. Now after maybe 3 weeks of playing 1-2 nights a week I am able to keep up in most matches and at times get more kills than anyone else (though many of the people I am playing are probably no better than I was 3 weeks ago). But it is fun now and ya figure on 2 teams of 16 you gotta be better than SOMEONE.

You need to play Burnout with the Let Us Win crew. A few of us *cough* Czar and Martin5 *cough* tend to run away with the race but many of us hang back and smash things up. Good times really. We also do crash parties and the other gametypes as well.
Old 04-10-06, 12:44 PM

Yeah I have a bunch of DVDTalkers added to my friends list so I'll try to get in on a Burnout game one of these times. At least that way anyone that still needs the 5 takedowns achievement has an easy target each time you lap me.
Funny thing in the 2 hour of playing Burnout on Live I got that 5 takedowns in a row achievement on a rival but I have no clue how.
Jamie

Old 04-10-06, 12:46 PM

I get owned, but I have a very good time. The only time I don't enjoy it is when someone knows you suck and just flat out stalks you. Bastards!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jamieson22
Yeah I have a bunch of DVDTalkers added to my friends list so I'll try to get in on a Burnout game one of these times. At least that way anyone that still needs the 5 takedowns achievement has an easy target each time you lap me.
Funny thing in the 2 hour of playing Burnout on Live I got that 5 takedowns in a row achievement on a rival but I have no clue how.
Jamie

Be sure to bring up this point if you ever get into a room with Canis. If he says anything just tell him miyu sent you

Canis has been trying forever to get that achievement and every time he gets 4 on someone he gets totally robbed of that fifth takedown. It has now become a running joke that amuses me at least, to no end.
Old 04-10-06, 01:03 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Be sure to bring up this point if you ever get into a room with Canis. If he says anything just tell him miyu sent you

Canis has been trying forever to get that achievement and every time he gets 4 on someone he gets totally robbed of that fifth takedown. It has now become a running joke that amuses me at least, to no end.

You... *points*... can Shut it!

Actually, Martin as well.. both times I had 4 on you and you get a cheap takedown. I tap you, speed away and crash. boom, score settled.

Actually, I'm playing it up as well. But it does piss me off that each time I get close, I get denied. Except for that one night that I just left and went to another game. then, when I came back to Burnout I didn't say a thing. I had that happen in the race 2 times. Had 4 on two people, and both of them got a bs takedown. I was fuming that night. I'm surprised my TV and controller survived.

The GRAW co-op campaign games are a blast.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 04-10-06 at 01:06 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.