TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who "World War III" 04-07-06

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doctor Who "World War III" 04-07-06

Spoiler:
Downing Street announces mankind's first Interplanetary War, but the real danger is much closer to home. When the Doctor, Rose, and Harriet Jones race against time to unmask the villainous Slitheen, Rose's mum and boyfriend hold the key to salvation. Can the missiles be stopped?
Old 04-07-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ratings for the broadcast of Doctor Who's fourth new episode, Aliens of London on Sci-Fi, its first US transmission, on March 31 are in. The episode had a 1.20 household rating with an average viewing audience of 1.5 million viewers, a slight drop from the previous week of 1.55 recorded for "The Unquiet Dead". The latest episode was down across the board; the show has experienced a total loss of 21% of household viewers and 16% in audience average since the first episode's transmission, although this was expected because of the curiosity from the episode's first broadcast. Meanwhile, for the rebroadcast of "The Unquiet Dead" immediately prior, 0.65 million viewers tuned in.

Finally eliminating the confusion surrounding the timeslot for the first broadcast of the series two premiere, New Earth, on BBC One, the homepage of the BBC Doctor Who site states: "Doctor Who 7.15pm, Saturday 15 April, BBC One. Doctor Who Night 7pm, Sunday 9 April, BBC Three." The Radio Times website has also now been updated to reflect this with complete schedule information for the Easter weekend debut.

The first edition of the second series of the documentary Doctor Who Confidential will be transmitted at 8pm, as soon as 'New Earth' finishes on BBC One. A BBC Three repeat of Episode 1 is now listed for 7.05pm on Sunday 16 April, and this is again followed by Doctor Who Confidential from 7.50 to 8.20pm.

There will now be three opportunities to see the first installment of the Totally Doctor Who series following its BBC One debut on Thursday 13 April: it is repeated on the digital CBBC channel at 6.30pm on both Friday 14 and Saturday 15 April, and again on Monday 17 April at lunchtime. The Digiguide listings service indicates that the Friday repeat may be a one-off, with Thursdays, Saturdays and Mondays being the regular slots for the children's show.
http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php
Old 04-07-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cant say that I am all that surprised that a majority of American viewers don't find D.W to their liking. It's very different than what is usually fed to them.
I do hope they give the show another chance after WW3 though. Dalek is very good.
Old 04-07-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I do hope they give the show another chance after WW3 though. Dalek is very good.

Me too. I always thought of the first 5 episodes as "getting their feet wet" before jumping into the good stuff. The show does a complete tone shift starting next week.

Fingers crossed that there's enough people to watch it. Maybe the preview for next week will grab some attention.
Old 04-07-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Me too. I always thought of the first 5 episodes as "getting their feet wet" before jumping into the good stuff. The show does a complete tone shift starting next week.

Fingers crossed that there's enough people to watch it. Maybe the preview for next week will grab some attention.
Much the same as Farscape did towards the end of it's first season.
Old 04-07-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant say that I am all that surprised that a majority of American viewers don't find D.W to their liking. It's very different than what is usually fed to them.
Quick question, is it possible for you to be more condescending in your posts? I know you like Doctor Who, but Jesus Christ.
Old 04-07-06, 02:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Quick question, is it possible for you to be more condescending in your posts? I know you like Doctor Who, but Jesus Christ.
To be fair, that sort of statement is made regularly in every show that has poor ratings. God forbid somebody doesn't like Firefly for instance.
Old 04-07-06, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
To be fair, that sort of statement is made regularly in every show that has poor ratings. God forbid somebody doesn't like Firefly for instance.
Just because he's condescending doesn't mean he isn't right.
Old 04-07-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah, but only spoon-fed simpletons don't like Firefly.
Old 04-07-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I did say that I would be skipping this week's episode but would give it one last try with next week's episode. If that doesn't work then I am done with the show.

Someone made the point that this isn't a serious or survivor-type show and more of a goofy, cheesy type like Farscape. I think that's probably why not a lot of people are interested. I like shows like Star Trek and BSG while Stargate is silly as I can handle. I don't like shows like Farscape which is probably I may not fall in love with this show.
Old 04-07-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So you think most people in these threads DO like the show Breakfast? If the ratings and most opinions here are any indication, I would guess most people Do Not like the show.
That isn't condescending, it's simply an observation.
I bet you though that if they put the words Star Wars before the title of Doctor Who, everyone would see it whether it was good or not.
Old 04-07-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody think that the delay in getting the series in America hurt the ratings at all? Perhaps fans of the series, such as myself, got the DVDs imported from the UK and have already seen it, or even from Canada.
Old 04-07-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, the cell phone picture was laugh-out-loud funny.

So you think most people in these threads DO like the show Breakfast? If the ratings and most opinions here are any indication, I would guess most people Do Not like the show.
That isn't condescending, it's simply an observation.
What? I think you missed the point.
Old 04-08-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

New series starts in April, cool. I hope CBC Canada starts around then too...I love livin on the border. Just hope it is in HDTV as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/planetofthedoctor/

Plus some old who...hmm

CANADA:

Weeknights 2 and 5AM EST (11PM and 2AM PST) - 2 episodes daily
Weekends 2AM EST (11PM PST) - complete stories
Wednesday "Terminus" pts 3+4 of 4
Season 20, Episodes 15 through 16. Doctor: Peter Davison.
Thursday "Enlightenment" pts 1+2 of 4
Friday "Enlightenment" pts 3+4 of 4
Season 20, Episodes 17 through 20. Doctor: Peter Davison.
Saturday "The Android Invasion" all 4 pts
Season 13, Episodes 13 through 16. Doctor: Tom Baker.
Sunday "The Brain Of Morbius" all 4 pts
Season 13, Episodes 17 through 20. Doctor: Tom Baker.
Monday "The King's Demons" pts 1+2 of 2
Season 20, Episodes 21 through 22. Doctor: Peter Davison.
Tuesday "Warriors Of The Deep" pts 1+2 of 4
Season 21, Episodes 1 through 2. Doctor: Peter Davison.
13 April "The Awakening"
14 April "Frontios"
15 April "The Seeds Of Doom" pts 1,2,3 (2:30AM start)
16 April "The Seeds Of Doom" pts 4,5,6
18 April "Planet Of Fire"
20 April "The Caves Of Androzani"
22 April "The Masque Of Mandragora" (2:15AM start)
23 April "The Hand Of Fear"
24 April "The Twin Dilemma"
26 April "Attack Of The Cybermen"
28 April "Vengeance On Varos"
29 April "The Deadly Assassin"
30 April "The Face Of Evil"
2 May "The Mark Of The Rani"
4 May "The Two Doctors"
6 May "The Robots Of Death" (2:30AM start)
7 May "The Talons Of Weng-Chiang"

Last edited by theedge; 04-08-06 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-08-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
No one watches the fucking Sci-Fi channel...period.

And enough with this 'what Americans have fed to them'...I like this Dr. Who, but can name 15 current American shows on now FAR better than this, who do well with the public.
Old 04-08-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only point I was trying to make earlier was, Doctor Who is a Big Hit across the pond and not doing well here.

I look forward to th new episodes starting in a week too!
Old 04-08-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
The only point I was trying to make earlier was, Doctor Who is a Big Hit across the pond and not doing well here.

I look forward to th new episodes starting in a week too!
So if Deadwood fails in the UK, it makes the British spoon fed idiots?
Old 04-08-06, 01:47 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I've always wondered what Doctor Who was (other than a song that they play at sporting events) and after seeing the first four eps, I rather like it. It's quirky, lack of taking itself seriously is quite funny and quite enjoyable.

As they say across the pond... "I'll give it another go."

One question though... how many 'pickled' things do you keep in your pantry?
Old 04-08-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, your point was that most Americans are too stupid to like anything that isn't "fed" to them, presumably meaning specifically designed to appeal to a mass audience.

I like to go into these threads to have fun, but it would be easier if you didn't insult (veiled or otherwise) people who don't watch the show, stop watching the show, or continue to watch to be entertained but don't adore the show. Just focus on the episode, thanks.
Old 04-08-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Does anybody think that the delay in getting the series in America hurt the ratings at all? Perhaps fans of the series, such as myself, got the DVDs imported from the UK and have already seen it, or even from Canada.
the few super hardcore Who fans that would go all out and import DVDs are such a very small number, I don't think it has any effect on the ratings at all.
Old 04-08-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

not doing well here? I disagree... give it a chance, it's only been on for a few weeks, most people in the US have no idea what a "Doctor Who" is, while in the UK he's a national hero, you can't really compare the two. It's already being seen my more viewers now than it ever was when PBS showed classic Who episodes in the 80's.

What were the ratings for Farscape or Buffy or Stargate or any other new sci fi show in thier first few weeks? Doctor Who is getting great "word of mouth" promotion and there's a HUGE buzz about the show right now.

Sure some American's might be turned off by it's "britishness" but personaly, I think thats why it will be a hit. Look at Harry Potter.
Old 04-08-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by turborobb
the few super hardcore Who fans that would go all out and import DVDs are such a very small number, I don't think it has any effect on the ratings at all.
Or they're watching it on Sci-Fi in addition to having bought both region 2 DVD releases like my insane boyfriend.
Old 04-08-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
So if Deadwood fails in the UK, it makes the British spoon fed idiots?
No, actually it means that Doctor Who is a British show, has been popular for 30 + years and it is an aquired taste.
Breafast, I think you are reading a lot into posts because most of the times you seem really iritable.
Old 04-08-06, 06:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
No, your point was that most Americans are too stupid to like anything that isn't "fed" to them, presumably meaning specifically designed to appeal to a mass audience.
What's funny about this is that the current Doctor Who is very much a mass-market show.
Old 04-08-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Breafast, I think you are reading a lot into posts because most of the times you seem really iritable.
I wasn't the only one who pointed it out, and it's not the first time you've made comments like that, but I'm not interested in pursuing it any further.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.