Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Why do you play games?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you play games?

With all the distractions available (TV, Books, Movies, Sports, Etc.) why do you play games?
With all the better things to do with you time (Chairty, learning, home improvement, exercise, etc.) why do you play games?
Old 04-06-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
With all the distractions available (TV, Books, Movies, Sports, Etc.) why do you play games?
With all the better things to do with you time (Chairty, learning, home improvement, exercise, etc.) why do you play games?
Hmm I do also do exercise and home improvement.

I find 99% of broadcast tv to be garbage. Usually the stuff I watch on my tv is always dvds which I preselect to my tastes and occasional downloads from the net.

Books, I just can't be bothered reading new authors these days and I haven't had a good library near me for a while. So I just buy the occasional book from my favourite authors.

Games, well I don't spend heaps of times playing games but... Firstly the DS is a pretty damn convenient way to pass time on the train. Also I like mentally engaging games, usually strategy games. Apart from that I enjoy an rpg with good characters and story. So yeah really just another way to spend my free time. I do enjoy a bit of multiplayer when I can but that doesn't happen so much these days.
Old 04-06-06, 10:18 PM

What are you doing over in Japan?
Old 04-06-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I don't have friends so I play games. I love XBOX live for this reason.
Old 04-06-06, 10:41 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To relax and escape from the world for a while. Especially in a game like metroid or zelda with a lot to explore.

But I don't game much, just too busy with work and my Ph D studies, and other hobbies like excercise, sports and movies have long since passed gaming for me in my spare time.

Still usually play at least a couple hours a week, and much more than that when something like Zelda comes out.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are you doing over in Japan?
Ha nothing that exciting. Just the english teaching gig, really an excuse to quit my old boring job and get some new experiences. Definitely loving it over here. Missing regular internet (too cheap to pay for it), but there's quite a few wireless hotspots around the place.

So jeff you have to answer your own q, why do you play games .
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

24, Lost and, Prison Break are the only shows on TV I watch. The rest of the evening is usually gaming of some sort. Either Xbox live or poker with friends. Soon we will have both through the arcade.
Old 04-06-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
It's entertaining, improves eye-hand coordination, provides a sense of accomplishment, and can occasionally tell a very involving story. Outside of all that, it's just fun.

And I'm at a point in my life where I'm taking a break from learning (just finished college), don't own a home, can't exercise (though hopefully this will be done with in the next 30 days), and enjoy spending what little time I have free enjoying myself.

That pretty much sums it up.
Old 04-06-06, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Ha nothing that exciting. Just the english teaching gig, really an excuse to quit my old boring job and get some new experiences. Definitely loving it over here. Missing regular internet (too cheap to pay for it), but there's quite a few wireless hotspots around the place.
That's awesome. I have a Japanese buddy who is getting his Phd in English so he can return home and teach.
So jeff you have to answer your own q, why do you play games .
Mainly to "escape". I read a lot more then I play games, but games provide engulfing opportunities, like books, to get away and be somewhere or someone else. Not that I'm not happy with myself, I just have an active imagination. I enjoy challeneges and games that make you think as well. Either way, I game to get away from it all, something TV fails to provide for me.

My reason for the post was just to see others thoughts, and maybe create some self reflection for some on why they are a gamer.
Old 04-06-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do several of those. Gaming is only one hobby of mine.
Old 04-07-06, 12:01 AM

Videogames slowly dull the pain that is my life.
Old 04-07-06, 01:51 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Escape! Where else you can kick ass,,,, racing (without crashing or getting a ticket), dog fighting, ...?
Old 04-07-06, 03:13 AM

Yeah, I guess most of us agree that it is an escape for us. Like a good book, a good game will put you in a far away place free to explore new worlds for yourself. Although I like reading and love movies, game experiences are so much better for me because I'm there. Books and movies always take you down the same path... you know who's getting shot, where, how, and when. As the protagonist in a game, I "direct" each scene as I see fit. Online can be even more rewarding sometimes as it lets you have incredible moments with real people as opposed to scripted A.I.

It's funny that you ask this, as lately I've been thinking a lot about how people tend to perceive a grown person that plays games a lot. People will occasionally ask, "Is that what you do all day? Play games?". Strange how it's more socially acceptable to come home from work and vegetate in front of the tv, than it is to play something that requires some thought and skill. Think about it. Any idiot can sit in front of a tv and watch it. Give just anyone a controller and watch them fumble and get frustrated with "so many buttons".

Anyhow, in general, it's just more fun than watching tv.
Old 04-07-06, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do like Survivor still, and the Biggest Loser (australian edition and earlier series) was kind of fun. That's about it for me as far as tv goes.

Like others have said I do enjoy the increased interactivity of games also!
Old 04-07-06, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't do it for the escape factor.. I do it for the FUN factor! The 360 is off the hook and the graphics and games make me want to play 24/7.. Being I have a wife & new baby I can't play 24/7 and I'm pretty much limited to after 10:00 PM so that makes the drive to play even more!!
Old 04-07-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Because TV sucks?
Old 04-07-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Now that my XBOX is giving up the ghost I realize how much I miss playing.
Old 04-07-06, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I don't do it for the escape factor.. I do it for the FUN factor! The 360 is off the hook and the graphics and games make me want to play 24/7.. Being I have a wife & new baby I can't play 24/7 and I'm pretty much limited to after 10:00 PM so that makes the drive to play even more!!
Sounds like you are trying to escape to me.
Old 04-07-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^

What do you mean Giant? Giving up the ghost?
Old 04-07-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What else am I supposed to do at 9pm on a Tuesday?

Exercise?

Home improvement?
Old 04-07-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

to get chicks, duh
Old 04-07-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tbird2340
^

What do you mean Giant? Giving up the ghost?
I bought it like a year after the launch and although the cd drive had been acting up for some time it still worked. Now it's like it won't "Boot up" and go past the Title Screen. That means I can't play anything unles I wait like 10 minutes for it to laod all the time. I think the drive has crapped out and it's causing issues all over the system. I don't know what to do because I'm not sure if I should by a new one or get a 360 when I get some money.

"Giving up the ghost" means something is on it's deathbed. "Gave up the Ghost" means it's dead.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-07-06 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-07-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I play games for enjoyment and aggression relief . I abhor television programming nowadays (I don't have/want cable). If I had to choose between video games and DVD's though, the games would go right in the garbage.
Old 04-07-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by matome
aggression relief .

3 years ago when I got laid off from a gig I know that coming home and killing aliens on HALO probably kept me from going back to the job and Killing my old boss and a few other fuckers who pissed me off.

I'm kinda serious....
Old 04-07-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mental note.. Don't kill / beat Giantrobo in ANY games..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.