Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on yourmusic.com?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-05-06, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just give me some pros and cons.

thanks
Old 04-05-06, 01:11 PM

A friend of mine told me about this site not too long ago. I thought it sounded too good to be true, though he seemed very pleased with the service. So I searched around the webpage and found this gem:

"Yourmusic.com is an operating unit of BMG Direct, Inc."

And it all made sense. It's the same company that brought you the "12 CD's for the price of 1" deal. And if you check the BMG Music Service website, they both have the same selections.
Old 04-05-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

pros
-$5.99 per disc
-free shipping
-fairly reliable
-you chose only CDs you want to go in your queue
- some great deals on multidisc sets can be found there

cons
-they send you a CD every month (at their normal 5.99 price) from your queue regardless of how many other CDs you've bought from them
-limited selection (only what the BMG music club offers)
-some discs are labeled "printed for BMG" in very tiny print under the bar code which can be a turn off to some collectors
- some 2 disc sets can be specially priced as a single disc in stores, but are $11.98 ($5.99 per disc) at yourmusic which makes such a purchase not as good of a deal as most of their stuff

All in all, I've been happy with them. I've gotten great deals on Bob Dylan CDs, Miles Davis boxsets and a bunch of great music that I wouldn't have normally taken a chance on.
Old 04-05-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
If they have what you want, it's great. You pay a little more per disk than you could get using the regular club, but I personally don't need 12 disks at a time. Many are labeled 'produced under license' instead of having a UPC code, or in addition to, but that doesn't affect the music.
A benefit to Yourmusic instead of a club is that there's no commitment. Join, set up your queue, order as many disks as you want, stay as long as you want. Cancel anytime. You can always get your account reactivated and stay one month or ten.
Old 04-05-06, 01:29 PM

I been using them for about a year now. My music queue is now running into the year 2010. But I like receiving a new disc every month. It helps me to not overspend on music and I have a whole month to absorb whatever disc I've received. Every 15th of the month they charge my bank account $6.48 like clockwork. I've yet to receive a broken disc or case. Overall I'm happy with it. They do have a limited selection but there is enough music available to make it worth it for me.
Old 04-05-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pros and cons seem to have been covered good, so I'll just add that, the twice I've used them, they've been great!

Holysmoker, why $6.48? I only pay $5.99 per cd.. do they charge tax in certain regions or something..?
Old 04-05-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I REALLY like the service. I usually pick up a few cds in addition to the monthly selection. (my total comes to 6.35 w/ tax)
Old 04-05-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by reverie
Pros and cons seem to have been covered good, so I'll just add that, the twice I've used them, they've been great!

Holysmoker, why $6.48? I only pay $5.99 per cd.. do they charge tax in certain regions or something..?
They've charged me sales tax since day one. I'm pretty satisfied with the service and I even got a FREE Entertainment Weekly sub. (1 year) as an anniversary Thank You bonus. Just last week, EW extended that sub. for 6 more months for just $1.
Old 04-05-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quit them when i lost the $4.99 price i was getting. i get a lower price per-disc just by using the regular BMG memberships.
Old 04-05-06, 04:03 PM

why $6.48?
Yeah, it's sales tax
Old 04-05-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
PRO
50+ SACD's and appx. 10 DualDisks with DVD-A for 5.99 - Most of which I would never buy/not find in a B&M