Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there movies that you own the Unrated AND Rated versions?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, with studios going "Unrated" version crazy, I started wondering...does anyone here have both versions of a movie, if they happen to really love it?

I ask this because sometimes the 'Unrated' version isn't as good as the theatrical cut (40 Year Old Virgin, hello).

I'm thinking about buying the theatrical cut of Dawn of the Dead '04, even though I have the unrated cut (which is the directors cut, and I like it). The theatrical cut has some extra special features on it too, I believe. But I did like the way the theatrical cut flowed, so I figured why not have both.

Anyway, anyone?
Old 04-05-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only own so far,

Jason Goes To Hell and Dressed To Kill(both dvds contain the R & Unrated versions,which is the best way of releasing them!).

And in terms of two separate releases. I own Dances With Wolves theatrical(superior version!) and the bloated dull ruins everything extrended 4 hour version.

I usually only pick up one version of a film. But in the case of Dances,MGM only made the extended version available in widescreen and I ended up hating it. So I had to track down the first Image Entertainment dvd release of the film in its theatrical form in widescreen. It's a far better version of the film in my opinion.

When it comes to censorship. There are some films I have debated whether to get both versions or not for studying/comparison sake. But either the R version was released in pan & scan only..or I just don't have the money to buy two versions of a film. I decided to not bother.
Old 04-05-06, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Grudge (Theatrical & Director's) - I couldn't tell the difference
Saw (Theatrical & Director's) - I couldn't tell the difference
Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (T-Cut & Unrated on the same disc; the unrated is the only one worth watching)
Old 04-05-06, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have both versions of Dumb and Dumber because it is one of my favorite movies and I grew up watching the normal version. But I picked up the unrated just to have extras and to see the added footage.
Not sure if Donnie Darko or Brotherhood of the Wolf count but I own both versions(normal and director's cut) of each.
Usualy it always seems whatever version I've seen first is the one I perfer, if I even notice a differnce at all.
Old 04-05-06, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If we're including "extended" versions (in addition to "unrated"), well then I own a few. I own both the theatrical cut and director's cut of Donnie Darko (despite both versions being rated). I prefer the theatrical cut of the film as the director's cut, in my opinions, ruins what is a great film. I also happen to own the theatrical and special version of Battle Royale. I prefer the theatrical cut, but I do enjoy the extra grue and gore of the special version. Too bad the extra footage makes the film crawl. The only other film I own two seperate releases of would be Volcano High. I own the region-free "international" version (which clocks in at 100 minutes) and the Korean "theatrical" version (which clocks in near 120 minutes). I prefer the longer cut in that case as it makes more sense (which isn't much more than the edited cut).

However, I can say I also own the theatrical and extended editions of these following movies despite being on the same disc and/or the same set:
- The Abyss
- Alien
- Aliens
- Alien 3
- Alien: Resurrection
- Almost Famous
- Brazil
- Clerks
- Dawn of the Dead (original)
- Halloween
- Mallrats
- Memento
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Sin City
- Terminator 2
- There's Something About Mary

And that's just to name a few.

Also, I own American Wedding and Jason Goes To Hell, with both releases including the rated and unrated cuts on the same disc.
Old 04-05-06, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
American Psycho is the only one I can think of. Of course, that's because they are on the same disc.
Old 04-05-06, 02:14 AM

Only ones I can think of that I own are Saw and Gladiator. Kept 'em both for extra features, although it now seems kinda silly.....
Old 04-05-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mostly unrated.
Old 04-05-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a ton of double dips where I keep both versions due to exclusive extras on each verison, but the only rated / unrated double dip I can think of at the moment is Dodgeball.

Oh yeah, and Mallrats.

Can't remember offhand... is the 3-disc Hellboy an unrated edition?
Old 04-05-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't believe the Extended Editions of The Lord of the Rings are rated. Those are the only movies I own both versions.
Old 04-05-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gladiator, LOTR series and Alien series are the ones I can think of right off the bat.
Old 04-05-06, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mndtrp
American Psycho is the only one I can think of. Of course, that's because they are on the same disc.
Uhhh...no it's not. There's only the unrated or rated editions. There's never been both on the same disc.
Old 04-05-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I generally buy the UNRATED....why is 40 year old virgin better?

Also, LEGEND has both cuts in the set. I only watched one of them though....
Old 04-05-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Alien vs. Predator
Dumb & Dumber
Daredevil
Gladiator
A Knight's Tale
Underworld
xXx
Old 04-05-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I generally buy the UNRATED....why is 40 year old virgin better?
Because the unrated version turns it into the Slowest Plodding Film of All Time.
Old 04-05-06, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Because the unrated version turns it into the Slowest Plodding Film of All Time.
You know what? I thought the theatrical version was a bit long when I saw it but I recently watched the unrated version and loved it. Didn't seem long at all.
Old 04-05-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Daredevil and Underworld...
Old 04-05-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Frighteners is the only one i can think of that I have that was two different releases. I also have the limited edition of Army of Darkness that has both rated and unrated, or theatrical and uncut as they put it.
I would have both of Saw but thanks to dvdtalk i knew there was going to be an unrated disc out so i held off buying the original release.
Old 04-05-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Only have rated & unrated/NC-17 versions of movies if they both come on the same disc.
Will not double dip for this.
If I like a movie & I find out it has been trimmed for theatrical release
(Only if it is against the director's wishes because not all unrated dvd's are done to preserve a film-maker's vision. Can you say marketing scheme!),
I will wait to see if an unrated version is released later on down the road.

I have:

Storytelling
Crash (Cronenberg)
Old 04-05-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
The Grudge (Theatrical & Director's) - I couldn't tell the difference
Saw (Theatrical & Director's) - I couldn't tell the difference
Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (T-Cut & Unrated on the same disc; the unrated is the only one worth watching)
There is actually a big difference of additions/differences between the cut PG-13 version and original(R rated)unrated version of The Grudge.

The US version was cut by ca. 7 minutes for a more commercial PG-13 rating. For the DVD release the uncut version was released as an "Unrated Extended Director's Cut". The following scenes were reinstated:
1. After Peter Kirk's death we focus on his dead face and the eyeball on the pavement has slightly popped out looking like a white gum drop.
2. The old senile lady is messing with tape and her fingers are covered in blood when she meets Yoko (caretaker).
3. Later Karen shows up and sees the bandaged fingers as well. It's a new plot point showing that she was the one who locked Toshio in the closet.
4. During the Open House the sister hears things and finds a cat figurine in Toshio's closet as well as remnants of his drawings.
5. During the American couples first night in the house the wife hears the clatter of what she believes to be the mother but it is really Toshio.
6. Doug is shown working and studying before a recently discharge Karen shows up at his work.
7. Alex meeting Yoko jawless in the hallway is extended and she even stretches back quite a bit to show down her throat quite a lot.
8. The Peter Kirk scene where he shows up at the house and finds Kayako's body is longer. She falls out of the closet and we stay on her for quite a while. She seems to follow him throughout the room. Her neck is making crunching noises.
9. The thumping that you hear from the hanging body in the next room reveals that Toshio is pushing his fathers feet into the wall.
10. The father killing his family scene is extended. He grabs Ayako and semi strips her and grabs her by the throat and in his rage twists her head to an almost 360° and it splinters and cracks as she spits blood. The 'aaaaaaaacckkkk' sound is from her dying as her throat is distended. Toshio views the entire thing. This reveals why he is always bug eyed when on the stairwell looking down because this is where he was sitting.
11. As Karen is saving her comatose hubby we see more of the family death. It looks as if he cuts the cats throat in the tub and then he slams it's carcass against the tub walls. We then actually see Toshio being drowned. He even has a moment where he looks at his father before he dunks him in. Then there are jump cuts of where the father placed their corpses. These spots end up being where they congregate. Toshio is dead in his closet along with his mother in the attic.
12. In the US version Karen yells at Doug 'not to look at her'. In this version the dialogue isn't there.
13. In the aftermath of the fire we see a POV from Karen in the ambulance as well as firefighters performing their jobs on the house.

I did notice these differences when I viewed the film. Especially the flashback of the families murder at the finale. Itis cut almost 100% abruptly out in the PG-13 version and is very intense and disturbing in the uncut version.

And thanks to your post,I just remembered I own both versions of The Grudge since I bought the PG-13 version when it first came out,then the uncut version later on. I don't know if I will sell the PG-13 version or not,but it's doubtful I will watch that version again. But the cast commentary and trailer included on the release is reason for me to keep it at the moment.

I also own Leatherface:TCM 3 since both versions are on the release.

And I briefly owned both versions of SAW. But decided to sell the R rated version. But I kind of wish I didn't,since I enjoyed the trailers and tv spots on the release. As for the differences in the film,it's minor in terms of additions. But the color scheme is at it's original grim dark state with various color schemes to enhance the mood. And the audio mix is louder and more intense with nasty sound effects and such that were toned down or deleted in the R rated audio.
Old 04-06-06, 09:34 AM
Suspended

I have both versions of Anchorman. For one, each disc has different commentaries. Two... there's one addition in the unrated cut I really enjoy but the other changes I didn't care for and prefer the Theatrical Cut overall.
Old 04-06-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anchorman
Daredevil
Jason Goes to Hell
Old 04-06-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Alien "Quad"-rilogy (don't know if those count)
Daredevil
Dodgeball
Donnie Darko
Gladiator
A Knight's Tale
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Old 04-06-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
However, I can say I also own the theatrical and extended editions of these following movies despite being on the same disc and/or the same set:
- Brazil
Where did you get the theatrical cut of 'Brazil'? While I obviously prefer the director's cut, there's a completist part of me that wants to have a copy of the theatrical version of the face lift scene. But I didn't think the theatrical cut of 'Brazil' was available anywhere (since it was only released in this country and hasn't been released on DVD here).
Old 04-06-06, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Club Dread is the only one I own. Even though I usually sell the original release before double dipping, I kept both DVDs because I spent about $20 total on them. I prefer the theatrical cut on the original release, but the unrated DVD has all the extras. I just treat it like a 2 disc special edition.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.