Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elm Street Prequel to be directed by Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer Director

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Elm Street Prequel to be directed by Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer Director

Old 04-04-06, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John McNaughton (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer) has been signed to direct the upcoming Elm Street Prequel-Sequel.

This movie is set to be different in tone from the Elm Street sequels and Freddy vs. Jason.

With McNaughton's style, this movie could be gritty. Don't know how that would go over with a mainstream audience who is used to cornball Freddy.

This movie will likely be a prequel-sequel taking place before the first Elm Steet. Meaning it will show the events of the past, but burned Freddy will still be in it. A prequel to Elm Street 1 basically.

I can't imagine New Line dropping burned Freddy altogther.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/in...mplate=newsfull

http://fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5873
Old 04-04-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope this goes through. I'd love to see it.
Old 04-04-06, 02:26 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This would offer great potential to re-launch the entire franchise anew (a la BATMAN BEGINS) and do it right this time (as spoken by someone who appreciates none of the ELM ST. movies, but appreciates them gem of a good idea behind them).
Old 04-04-06, 02:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
yeah, no matter what tone i would see it in a heartbeat.
Old 04-04-06, 02:30 PM
Cool New Member

oh, no... another one Freddy Versus someone.... not good
Old 04-04-06, 02:31 PM
Cool New Member

if someone there in Hollywood dont know how to spend money... plz, transfer them to ordinary ppl like me)
Old 04-04-06, 04:42 PM

Ok.

Is "stuntman" a dupe account of someone here?

Nothing to do with this thread really, but every single new post makes little sense I have read from this person.
Old 04-04-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
We've already seen a Freddy prequel didn't we?

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare had Freddy's origins, with Alice Cooper playing his dad.
Old 04-04-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those were brief moments.

This is the WHOLE story.

And no, I doubt that they wouldn't have FREDDY in this. He'll probably appear in the last minutes.
Old 04-04-06, 06:20 PM

I agree.

Burned Freddy can still be a part of the film without it disregarding anything.

For instance, he was obviously already alive (or dead) and burned in Elm Street 1. We don't know how long he existed in his burned from before Elm Street 1. So, it's likely he came across several other people in his burned form before he ever met Nancy or her friends.

On a side not. Even if Freddy's Dead was ignored, it wouldn't mean much to me personally.

That movie re-wrote the series incorporating ideas that never really were meant to exist. Craven has stated that Freddy was never married and never had children. None of the original novels ever mentioned such and one did discuss certain events in his human life. Nothing before 1991 ever mentioned anything from Freddy's Dead storyline.

The dream demon thing with the talking heads was one of the dumbest things done with the series.

Freddy's Nightmares (a terrible show) also made no mention to any family whatsoever.

So, that leads me to the conclusion that the writer had no idea where to take Freddy. So, he or she had to incorporate these melodramatic bits to give the dead on arrival script some substance. It didn't work.

Peter Jackson wrote a script for Elm Street 6. It was way out there. It bordered on complete camp at it's highest level. But, it still would have been better to go with that script. The script was so ridiculous that it could have been fun. It also followed the original series more closely.

Not that Freddy should have ever been dumbed down so much. But, if your going to dumb him down, they could have chosen the better idea.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 04-04-06 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-04-06, 07:32 PM

Im all for a prequal but Robert Englund isnt the most reliable source so lets hope this goes through.
Old 04-04-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think it would be really cool if Mcnaughton would basically make the movie like Henry. What I mean by that is, it just be a straight serial killer/child molester story, no sci-fi or horror elements, very realistic. It plays out as realistically as possible, then have the parents strike back and burn him at the end. I think that would make a very good film and would add more horror to the other ones, to see how horrible his life was before he met Nancy.

Again, this is just my opinion and I'm not a real big fan of the series in the first place although I have to admit the first one is pretty good.
Old 04-04-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Say it with me now: "NO MORE SHITTY PREQUELS!!"
Old 04-05-06, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I'm giving a tentative to this idea. I'd like to know much more about it before saying I'd see it.