Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a nice HDTV 50+inches

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-04-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there, can anyone give me a suggestion for a nice HDTV that is at least 50". Its for my father in law, he want's kind of a Wow factor TV.

It should be under 3000 and work well with SDTV as well, as he watches more TV than movies.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-04-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does he want a flat panel (plasma or LCD) or is a slightly deeper cabinet ok? For wow factor, picture-wise, the Sony SXRD sets are excellent. 50 inches should be right around 3000.

If he doesn't need the newest and best, there are plently of excellent 50 inch DLP sets available for around or under 2000. I prefer the Samsung sets, but Mits are nice too.
Old 04-04-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobDole42
Does he want a flat panel (plasma or LCD) or is a slightly deeper cabinet ok? For wow factor, picture-wise, the Sony SXRD sets are excellent. 50 inches should be right around 3000.

If he doesn't need the newest and best, there are plently of excellent 50 inch DLP sets available for around or under 2000. I prefer the Samsung sets, but Mits are nice too.

Thanks for the tips. He would want flat, but it wouldn't need to be the thinnest thing out there. And I don't think he really needs the newest and best, if it is really not that much better. Does that extra 1000 really add a lot of quality? He is going from a regular 36inch tv, so this will be an upgrade in picture quality in general. He is not a videophile.
Old 04-04-06, 12:26 PM

If cost is no expense go with a 46-50" panasonic plasma....picture is by far the best.

I have a 53" Toshiba DLP (HM95 model) that I got for under 1900 bucks. I love the picture and it looks great on the integrated stand that was made for it.
Old 04-04-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK and couldn't be happier. This model is basicially a monitor (no speaker/stands) and has slots in the back to customize how many hdmis or whatever. There are a few commercial models that come with speakers/stand/built in tuners, but they are a bit more. The best part is that you can get the TH-50PHD8Uk from costco and their return policy allows for return any time for any reason (even if it's several years down the road).
Old 04-04-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, Im going to head to BestBuy later and check things out. Unfortunately, there are no Costco's or Circuit Cities up here, so BB is my only real choice. Hopefully the Panasonics are within the price range.
Old 04-04-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
Thanks, Im going to head to BestBuy later and check things out. Unfortunately, there are no Costco's or Circuit Cities up here, so BB is my only real choice. Hopefully the Panasonics are within the price range.

the newest models aren't out yet, so the one's you'll see with be the 8th gen models. They are great tvs, but I'd bet the price will drop when the 9ths come out later this spring/summer. Keep that in mind.
Old 04-04-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
the newest models aren't out yet, so the one's you'll see with be the 8th gen models. They are great tvs, but I'd bet the price will drop when the 9ths come out later this spring/summer. Keep that in mind.

Thanks for the heads up, its actually an anniversary present from my mother in law to the father in law, so we won't be able to wait that long, but hopefully we can find something good.