Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Desperate Housewives 4/2/06

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Desperate Housewives 4/2/06

An okay episode with lots of subplots brewing.

I did LOL when Susan got tossed over the bed by Carl in order to hide her from Eddie, didn't Susan just have some delicate surgery a few episodes ago?

Bree's bender is getting stale, and what are the odds of her "sponsor" being also a sex addict. The 2nd sponsor was truly a scary option for her AA recovery process.

Carlos and Gabby's hunt for a baby proves to be fruitful, but with some extra future baggage should the baby's father come a-knocking.

Felicia brings Eddie's little party to a screeching halt with that really personal gift, Martha's dentures, and calling out Paul as her murderer in front of all the attendees. Felicia's got brass ones.
Old 04-02-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Wow, not much in here two hours after the episode aired - has interest in this show declined that much?

I thought it was a decent episode. Gotten say I really like Carl a lot whenever he's on the show - when he threw Susan over the bed was the funniest thing in the episode. And Gabby's total lack-of-a-clue in regards to babies was pretty funny too, the show will probably get plenty o' mileage out of that for the rest of the season.
Old 04-02-06, 11:25 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gave up on the show. This season has just flat sucked.
Old 04-02-06, 11:37 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Wow, not much in here two hours after the episode aired - has interest in this show declined that much?
Yeah, this probably won't get a second page.

ok episode. Again the Solis's were the only reason to pay attention
Old 04-03-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked seeing the look on Lynette's face as she got Andrew's number. I thought he was smarter than that.

Yay, no Applewhites again this week.
Old 04-03-06, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Applewhite-less episodes always seem to be the better ones.

Not only the look on Lynette's face, but the look on Andrew's!
Old 04-03-06, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This episode did not engage me at all. I kept looking for other things to do.

The Carlos, Gabby and the baby were about the best parts.

*YAWN*
Old 04-03-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've switched to watching the Sopranos. I popped in here to see what I have missed. I agree with what some people have said. The second season is not as good as the first season.
Old 04-03-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Couple laughs, couple questions. Still riding with it for now.

I didn't get why Susan allowed herself to be Edie's "slave." Did Edie threaten to tell someone about her and Carl's arrangement? And if so, what would it matter now after the procedure? Seems like Susan shoulda said "sorry for the deception (if that) but stuff happens. Talk to carl if ya got a prob with it."
Old 04-03-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BassDude
I didn't get why Susan allowed herself to be Edie's "slave."
Susan committed insurance fraud. That would be a felony. My guess is that fear of jail would be her reasoning.
Old 04-03-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ayre
Susan committed insurance fraud. That would be a felony. My guess is that fear of jail would be her reasoning.
She is legally married and using her husband's insurance. Not sure if that is fraud. (Unless they prosecute intent.)

And the spiteful Dr. is the one I'd be worried about if it IS a crime, as he has already shown he's a petty "I'll show YOU" lil punk of a guy.
Old 04-03-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is still the threat of the insurance coming after Susan for the operation they covered while she was under Carl's insurance policy.
Old 04-03-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
There is still the threat of the insurance coming after Susan for the operation they covered while she was under Carl's insurance policy.
I know it's easy to come off as a smart-ass when ya post on these boards, so I hope I don't sound like one by keeping this going, but I honestly don't get it.

They were legally married. And he added her on his insurance. Nothing to dispute IMHO. No fraud committed. If they had "faked" the wedding, then I could see it, but my understanding was that it was a completely legal marriage. (For all the wrong reasons of course, but ya can't prosecute someone's reason for getting married.)

I think it was more that Susan felt bad for doing that to Edie, and if that's the case, it didn't work for me. (Based on their character's history.)

It's very possible I am missing something, so...I'll let it go if I am.
Old 04-03-06, 01:59 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it just me, but I find Bree so hot
Old 04-03-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BassDude
It's very possible I am missing something, so...I'll let it go if I am.
I work for a health insurance company and we were discussing it this morning. As long as she's legally married and added to the husband's coverage within 30 days of the marriage: there isn't a lot we could do. It's not considered pre-existing either, again, as long as she's added to the policy within 30 days of the marriage.

Typically, a major surgery like this would require pre-approval through the insurance company workflow and the claim can be denied if it isn't. They might get her there.
Old 04-03-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was a decent episode. Gotten say I really like Carl a lot whenever he's on the show - when he threw Susan over the bed was the funniest thing in the episode. And Gabby's total lack-of-a-clue in regards to babies was pretty funny too, the show will probably get plenty o' mileage out of that for the rest of the season.
Yes, I just get updates from friends but this show is not very good anymore.
Old 04-03-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Well, I guess I'll take a slightly opposing view on this ep. I actually really liked it; I thought it was one of the better eps of the season. There was a lot of good stuff in this one. I really like how a lot of the dangling plots are finally starting to meet and get out in the open.

Lynette and Gaby now know exactly what Andrew has been up to now. The sham marriage has been revealed; Carl's feelings are finally exposed, resulting in the funniest scene of the night -- Susan getting thrown from the bed. Gabby and Carlos finally get the baby, but with some hitches. Bree's alcoholism subplot is maybe moving on to one about recovery and possible romance. But Felicia stole the show with that one party scene. Calling out Paul was a very bold move. Gotta love her.
Old 04-03-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone here curious, or at least have an issue with Gabby and Carlos wanting a Caucasian baby? At the very least, finding an Hispanic surrogate mother, or even buying one would have been much simpler (not to mention, they would have given a better life to a child of their own race). I fully expect to be slammed for this, but I think it's a valid question.
Old 04-03-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike7162
Anyone here curious, or at least have an issue with Gabby and Carlos wanting a Caucasian baby? At the very least, finding an Hispanic surrogate mother, or even buying one would have been much simpler (not to mention, they would have given a better life to a child of their own race). I fully expect to be slammed for this, but I think it's a valid question.
I had wondered that too. I know of many Caucasian couples who have adopted babies from Latin America. I would think a couple like Gaby and Carlos would be at the top of a list for such an adoption, as usually they prefer to place babies within their own race.
Old 04-03-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My best friend and his wife (both caucasians) just adopted a male child from a Central America country.
Old 04-03-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by mike7162
IIRC (and it's possible I didn't since I find myself paying less and less attention to this show), but wasn't the whole thing less about race and more about looks...as in "the surrogate is hot"?
Old 04-03-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Yay, no Applewhites again this week.
I missed the previous two weeks before this episode, and you know, it never occurred to me they were not on this episode until I read this post. Seriously, I forgot they were even on the series. They could have packed up and moved away for all I knew and I would have cared absolutely not at all. They are the most worthless part of the second season, that is for sure, made all the more evident that if you take them out of the series at any point, they would not be missed (much or at all).
Old 04-03-06, 05:35 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I had wondered that too. I know of many Caucasian couples who have adopted babies from Latin America. I would think a couple like Gaby and Carlos would be at the top of a list for such an adoption, as usually they prefer to place babies within their own race.
They tried to go the "reputable adoption agency" route but got kicked out because of Carlos's prison record and because Gabby slept with the son of one of the caseworkers. I suppose that's the only adoption agency in Springfield or Sunnydale or wherever the hell Wisteria Lane is supposed to be, so the only alternative is the shady buy-a-baby option.
Old 04-03-06, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
They tried to go the "reputable adoption agency" route but got kicked out because of Carlos's prison record and because Gabby slept with the son of one of the caseworkers. I suppose that's the only adoption agency in Springfield or Sunnydale or wherever the hell Wisteria Lane is supposed to be, so the only alternative is the shady buy-a-baby option.
It's in Fairview.

And while that may not be the only agency around, the gardener's mother made it clear she was going to make sure that the Solises couldn't get a baby at any reputable agency anywhere nearby.

As far as the Applewhites go, I'm of the opinion that the plotline wouldn't have been so bad if it had been paced better. When they introduced the family at the end of the first season, they pretty much beat you over the head with the fact that they had some dirty little secret, and then they revealed that they had somebody chained in their basement in the beginning of this season (IIRC, it was the first or second episode), leaving absolutely no time to establish them as a character beyond their main plotline. They'd be a lot more tolerable if they were introduced, had a chance to befriend the other characters, then get into their little family crisis.
Old 04-03-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I definitely agree with that, xVladx. I don't even have a problem with them revealing the dirty secret so soon, as long as they would have integrated them better with the rest of the cast. Although many viewers might enjoy it, it doesn't do the Applewhite plotline any favors to have so many eps where they aren't seen. But we'll see where it goes ...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.