Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why bigger Sony not as vibrant as my smaller Sony?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a smaller Sony Vega in the bedroom. picture nice and bright specially the whites. In my living room in have a Sony 36 inch high def ready tv. Both sets have a seperate Directtv receiver. The bigger 36 inch set doesnt have that vibrant pic as my smaller tv. The whites have a tan/ brown color to it. How come? I tried adjusting it with Avia. I might have to go in the Service mode to adjust something. I dont know what though. Also i could try to get a similar picture, but that mean i have to turn the contrast to max. which is not a good thing. Any help/ advice?
Old 04-02-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my experience, HD sets don't do as well with non-HD sources as older, analog sets. The HD set will reveal the flaws in the source, while the analog set will be more forgiving. Kinda like shooting an actress in soft focus to make her appear better looking (bad analogy, but you get the point). The 13 inch Toshiba tv in my kitchen looks better with non-HD programming than my 50 inch HD DLP. But my 26 inch LCD pwns them both.

Definitely play around with Avia and your settings, but the bottom line is that non-HD sources will never look as good on a big set as on a small analog set.
Old 04-02-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check the color temp. If the whites are more yellow on one and bright white on the other it could be that the temps are set differently on each.
Old 04-03-06, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Do not confuse "vibrant" with accurate color reproduction. I think if you take Bob's advice and use a calibration disc, you'll find that accurate color reproduction is darker and less "blooming" than you are used to.
Old 04-03-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, vibrant maybe the wrong word. Colors are fine, Blacks are nice and dark. Contrast is turned up just before blooming starts. Still the whites specally in sky shots or credits are not as white/bright as my small sony analog in the bedroom. On my big sony, i do get the nice bright whites if i watch an HDTV source. I know how to access the service menu but need some help to pick the right selection to change.
Old 04-04-06, 10:20 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by ILikeDVD
I have a smaller Sony Vega in the bedroom. picture nice and bright specially the whites. In my living room in have a Sony 36 inch high def ready tv. Both sets have a seperate Directtv receiver. The bigger 36 inch set doesnt have that vibrant pic as my smaller tv. The whites have a tan/ brown color to it. How come? I tried adjusting it with Avia. I might have to go in the Service mode to adjust something. I dont know what though. Also i could try to get a similar picture, but that mean i have to turn the contrast to max. which is not a good thing. Any help/ advice?
Which Sony 36" model do you own? I've had the the 36HS420 for over 2 years and I love it. Upon purchasing I adjusted the 'red-push' in the service menu, adjusted settings with AVIA, etc ... so HDTV and DVD looks phenomenal.

That said, my Charter Digital 1-80 (analog) channels look pitiful, esp local ABC, CBS, etc ... and 100 and up (digital) look average at best.

PM me if you need any further info ... I'm pretty sure have all of my settings documented.