Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help replacing L/R speakers

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-31-06, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I tried doing a search for some good left and right speakers and it really did not come up with much. I currently have some Polk Audio R30's as my left/right speakers and I would like to move them to my surround speakers.

Can someone recommend some good tower L/R speakers? I absolute max budget is $500 including shipping, but I am really looking to spend much less than that.

I respect the opinions on this forum, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 03-31-06, 10:07 AM

My suggestion is to check around for used speakers from Polk, Boston Acoustics, and Klipsch on various websites. You get a lot more for your dollar, especially from high end manufacturers. The people who own them tend to take great care of them as well. Contact me at [email protected] for some website suggestions.
Old 03-31-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get something from Polk that matches your current speakers. The sound will be better once set up properly.
Old 03-31-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure how good they are, but $200 for both is not bad.....$30ish shipping

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...uct_Id=2693896
Old 03-31-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is probably only the second or third time, but I think I'm going to have to disagree with Spiky on this one. If you can go as high as $500, you can do much better with brands other than Polk. Paradigm, B&W, etc, esp if you are willing to buy used. I've never been a fan of Polk speakers, but that is, of course, just my opinion.

Do you listen to more music or HT? Is bass really important to you? What receiver are you using?
Old 03-31-06, 01:24 PM
Suspended

Home Theatre 45% gaming 45% music 10%

I am using a Panasonic digital 6.1 receiver. Not the greatest and I plan on upgrading it this year.

I am willing to buy used to save some $$.

I understand the idea of staying with Polk, especially since the R30's will become my surrounds.

Any other speaker ideas would be greatly appreciated.

(Hopefully my $500 budget will increase when I get back from Vegas.)
Old 03-31-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Get something from Polk that matches your current speakers. The sound will be better once set up properly.
I'd agree with this... Since the surrounds are Polks I'd stick with Polk for fronts and center. This will give the best timbre matching (google "timbre matching"). If you get speakers with different sound characteristics, it will stick out like a sore thumb. This is especially important for fronts and centers, but I'd still want timbre matched surrounds, too.
Old 03-31-06, 02:17 PM
Suspended

to comment on the R50's that DJ mentioned. Sometimes those do go on sale at Fry's and I have seen them as low as $70 a piece. After those, the price on the other polk models seems to go up to the $300-$400 a speaker.