Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who on Sci Fi : "Aliens of London" 03/31/06 [2011 UPDATE: Brigadier, RIP]

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who on Sci Fi : "Aliens of London" 03/31/06 [2011 UPDATE: Brigadier, RIP]

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-06, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This Friday Night at 9pm on Sci Fi it's Doctor Who

The Year : 2006
The Place : London, England
The Problem : A crashed spaceship in the middle of the city!

Starring Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose

Old 03-30-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Doctor Who" Second Series Begins
Posted: Thursday March 30th, 2006 11:34pm
Source: The BBC
Author: Garth Franklin

The new series of Doctor Who was officially launched at a press gathering in Cardiff on Tuesday, where it was announced the eagerly-awaited second series will bow over the Easter weekend on Saturday 15th April in the UK reports The BBC.

A three-minute reel of clips showcased the rest of the series - "The highlights included
Spoiler:
squid-like aliens The Ood, shiny, unison-marching Cybermen, huge airships hovering above London, an astonishing CGI werewolf and Rose and returning classic series companion Sarah-Jane Smith engaged in an amusingly bitchy stand-off".

Actor David Tennant confirmed that "We did go to a quarry which is a Doctor Who cliché but it's doubling for a cave actually so it's not strictly speaking, the usual Doctor Who quarry". He also confirmed the finale "Doomsday" will be a cliffhanger, whilst 'The Satan Pit' two-parter finally takes the pair to a different planet - "Basically they find a 'darkness' which doesn't seem to have an explanation and even The Doctor is stumped by what is under the planet".

Its also confirmed that Rose's boyfriend Mickey joins the TARDIS crew this year. Billie Piper says "At first I think Rose isn't that keen on the idea as she likes to keep her life separate. She wants The Doctor to herself because she's selfish like that. But Mickey this year really kind of comes into his own... He saves the day". Tennant added "He does but it's the Doctor who decides to let him on board as Rose is far from keen".

Finally, Camille Coduri AKA Rose's Mum Jackie, revealed she takes her first trip in the TARDIS in a forthcoming episode.
Old 03-30-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet, Series 2 is only a couple weeks away.
Old 03-30-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Sweet, Series 2 is only a couple weeks away.
My thoughts Exactly.

Someone from the UK sent me this:

There's an extra treat lined up for viewers of Doctor Who this year. In addition to the 13 brand new TV episodes due to hit screens next month, viewers will be able to download 13 60-second mini episodes (or TARDISODES) either to their mobile phones or via broadband.

Created by the team behind the BAFTA Cymru-nominated Attack of the Graske adventure, the TARDISODES will be additions to the main storyline, featuring back-stories about the characters and adventures coming up in the next episode.

Each one will be available to watch on Saturday nights after the previous week's episode goes out - and the BBC's Doctor Who website is the place to come to get your weekly fix.

You'll be able to subscribe to the TARDISODES from the April 1 by texting TARDIS to 81010.
Old 03-31-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump for tonight.

Will BBC Series 2 have the Confidential companion episodes again this year?
Old 03-31-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew
Bump for tonight.

Will BBC Series 2 have the Confidential companion episodes again this year?
I don't know, but I'd guess so- they need something to put on BBC3.
Old 03-31-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

who's watching tonight?
Old 03-31-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I watched it. The beginning seemed to be okay with Rose getting back with her Mum and Mickey, but towards the end, I thought it was all went downhill due to the blatant use of the cheesy special effects and general weirdness.

Pretty sure that this was my last episode. I really did try to like this show.
Old 03-31-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
I watched it. The beginning seemed to be okay with Rose getting back with her Mum and Mickey, but towards the end, I thought it was all went downhill due to the blatant use of the cheesy special effects and general weirdness.

This is not show to watch if you watch sci fi just for Special effects.
What you wil miss...
Old 04-01-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
After next week's episode (World War Three), the show shoots straight into the atmosphere.

It gets really good.
Old 04-01-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the basic silliness, seemed a little like old times. Some original episodes were also very silly. I also enjoy this Doctor really interacting with his companion. He was never this "connected" before.

I really wish that the Brigadier could have made a cameo appearance. (Is he still alive?) Would have been a nice continuity touch.

Looking forward to the conclusion.
Old 04-01-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad you quit on this one, because this two-parter is the low point of the season.
Old 04-01-06, 11:26 AM
Banned

My only experience with Dr. Who is the 1965, Peter Cushing film 'Dr. Who and the Daleks', which I've seen several times going back to when I was a kid.

So, I don't have knowledge of what the 'time war' that keeps being mentioned was all about, or exactly who Dr. Who is. I suppose I could Google it and find all of the information.

However, for now, it's enough to know that he has a long past and has been involved in many incredible adventures. I'm just enjoying the ride. The series is a lot of fun!
Old 04-01-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
This is not show to watch if you watch sci fi just for Special effects.
What you wil miss...
Not sure what you mean. I was saying that the lame special effects and general weirdness (i.e. the farting people) is turning me off from the show and making it hard for me to take it seriously. And as I said in the past, I do like the main characters but some of the storylines just seem so lame.

But if you guys think it gets better after this, then I guess I'll skip part II and try give it one more shot with the episode that comes after it.
Old 04-01-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
So, I don't have knowledge of what the 'time war' that keeps being mentioned was all about, or exactly who Dr. Who is. I suppose I could Google it and find all of the information.
Before this series, I wasn't all that familiar with Doctor Who except for the 96 tv movie. However, unless I'm mistaken, the Time War has never been depicted in any of the episodes from the old series. It's a concept that has been introduced for this new series and maybe more information about what exactly happened will be revealed in future episodes.
Old 04-01-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ItsGreekToMe
My only experience with Dr. Who is the 1965, Peter Cushing film 'Dr. Who and the Daleks', which I've seen several times going back to when I was a kid.

However, for now, it's enough to know that he has a long past and has been involved in many incredible adventures. I'm just enjoying the ride. The series is a lot of fun!
For you people new to the show.. the two Peter Cushing Dalek movies are NOT a part of the offical Doctor Who history, they are loose big screen remakes of the first two Dalek stories with the first Doctor William Hartnell. They took alot of liberty with the plot... for example in the TV series "The Doctor" is a time lord alien who stole a time machine from his home planet... in the Peter Cushing movies he's a scientist from earth who invented his own time machine and his name was actualy Dr. Who. They are fun movies on thier own, but not really "offical".

As far as the Time War, it not something from the old TV series, it was made up for the new series and you learn more and more about what happened in the Time War as the episodes go on.

Great to see so many new fans being turned onto the series! As a long time fan, I'm really happy.
Old 04-01-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 352 Likes on 229 Posts
Not sure what you mean. I was saying that the lame special effects and general weirdness (i.e. the farting people) is turning me off from the show and making it hard for me to take it seriously. And as I said in the past, I do like the main characters but some of the storylines just seem so lame.

But if you guys think it gets better after this, then I guess I'll skip part II and try give it one more shot with the episode that comes after it.
So how do you feel about aliens farting helium?
Old 04-01-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dalek is very good. This is where the series gets a bit Darker which is a good thing.
Old 04-02-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Dalek is very good. This is where the series gets a bit Darker which is a good thing.

And two episodes after that is The Empty Child which I think is one of the season's BEST stories.
Old 04-02-06, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know why fans don't like this episode, I think it's great fun. One of my favorites. I guess if you like "serious" sci fi where people are whispering in the dark with shaking cameras and the aliens look like humans then Doctor Who isn't for you. Personaly, I like a sci fi show thats fun and doesn't take itself too seriously. I think Doctor Who appeals more to the Buffy and Farscape fans more than the Battlestar (new series) and Trek fans.
Old 04-02-06, 02:02 PM

There's more than enough room in SF for serious empire-building shows (Star Trek), examination of self (Babylon 5), chase plots (Farscape) and down and dirty survival (Galactica). The slightly goofy and always fun of Doctor Who belongs as well.

While I've watched a bunch of older episodes and liked them, I never got into the habit, but this show - almost starting from zero with enough for fans old and new - is very good, more accessible, and easier to find as opposed to hunting around for a PBS station.
Old 04-02-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i really liked tonights episode best one yet!
Old 04-02-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Was ok, but Im sticking with this through hell and high water.
Old 04-03-06, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody see the new S2 trailer?

Sweet.
Old 04-03-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Goofy and wonderful - still great fun. Loved the "alien" pig!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.