Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Considering selling my Denon 4802 for separates

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking about selling off my Denon 4802 receiver to go the separates route but am wondering if I really should. My dream would be a McIntosh system, there are some deals on older Preamps to be had. Can they outperform the Denon for Dolby Digital and DTS? Some separates I am considering are Proceed AVP, Mcintosh control centers from 2002, Parasound Halo. My speakers are Boston Acoustics VRM-90's ($2700/pr). Maybe I should put the money on better speakers? Recommendations?
Old 03-28-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speakers are the most important factor in sound quality. And only you can decide if yours are good enough. Those should be pretty decent, I've always liked BA, although I don't think I've heard those. You might like Martin Logans, Legacy Audio, B&W. Any of these should bring tears of joy to your eyes.

Amps are next most important, but these days there really is a tiny amount of difference between a good $2000 amp and a better $10000 amp. (not comparing receivers in this) These are also a great used buy. Amps don't get too damaged, esp not the ones you are considering, since most buyers are careful users. Used is a great way to get what you want at a great price.

Same goes for preamps (about used), but new codecs and connectors are an issue right now. And I don't think the pre has as much impact on sound quality as the speakers or amp. I'd probably keep the 4802 (at least as a preamp) until HDMI, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, etc. are all more available, which should be soon. I got my receiver 3.5 years ago at the beginning of the last wave of codec upgrades. It's been a good buy, and only BD/HD-DVD is making it feel obsolete.
Old 03-28-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been thinking about adding an amp as well and used is what everyone recommends since they are very durable and don't get outdated. I really like the McIntosh amps, but will have to find something good in my budget. Will probably keep my current Onkyo as a preamp though it is 5-6 years old now and will need to get replaced if I want to support all the new stuff coming with HD.
Old 03-28-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By all means upgrade to separates! I agree with Spiky that the amps make a big difference, but don't underestimate the importance of a good processor. I used an outboard amp with a Pioneer Elite receiver and its DD/DTS performance is awful compared to my current processor (Krell Showcase). I would upgrade to an amp right now and either spend the money on a processor that can be upgraded to the new hi-res DVD formats or keep the Denon for the time being. Definitely buy the amp used. Used amps offer excellent value and, better yet, you won't lose any of your investment if you resell it down the line. I paid $650 for a used Adcom 2-ch amp and sold it six months later for $650.

I would take the Proceed AVP off the list - it has zero chance of being upgraded and, IMO, doesn't sound that great. I bought a Krell Showcase and love it. It isn't going to be upgradable to HDMI, but I will use the 7.1 inputs for hi-res DD/DTS until the format wars settle down.

Last edited by BobDole42; 03-28-06 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-30-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Overall, I don't have a problem with Mac, but I do think they are overpriced. But an arguement could be made that many of the higher end brands are. Just don't think if I wanted to spend that kind of money I would get a Mac (tho agree it is a personal preference thing). And Mac certainly has the name recoginition...

I also like B&W speakers and would also suggest KEF.
Old 03-30-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is your budget for the upgrade? I tend to agree with Sdallnct, I find McIntosh to be a bit overpriced. On the higher end of your budget, I'd look at Krell and Bryston. On the lower end, Anthem and Rotel.
Old 03-30-06, 02:51 PM

Take a step back

There are a few things you need to step back and consider before you decide what to do. First is what do you use your system for, music? movies? both? How loud do you listen? What is the size of your room? Do you have an active sub or does your receiver have to power the sub as well. Do you even have a sub?

Your speakers are really easy to drive. At 8 ohms and a sesitivity rating of 90, you really don't need a lot of power to drive them. For example, if your room is moderatly sized, you listen to both music and movies, at or below reference level, and you have an active sub. You "may" not hear any difference at all by adding an amp.

On the other hand if your room is large, you listen to music and movies at or above reference levels often and don't have an active sub, you probably would hear a difference.

It depends on what you have and how you use it.

If you feel the need to upgrade, start with an amp, as has been suggested. Use your Denon as a pre/pro and see if you can hear any improvement.

I use a Denon 3806 as a pre/pro and a Sherbourn 5/5210 5 channel amp to power my front three speakers and side surrounds. I have a large room, an active sub and listen to source material above reference level often and do I hear a difference between the external power amp and the Denon amps? I'll say yes, but it could be all in my head!!

Anyhow, you need to look at your total setup, how you use it, what you are trying to accomplish before you rush out to simply buy an amp.

By the way, depending on how your room is setup you "may" get a much more significant upgrade in your sound by adding room treatments.

All just my opinion.
Old 03-30-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I would not do it as I feel that any improvement would be marginal and subjective. Seperates are more flexible and may offer some new capability but your receiver is an excellent product.