Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that DIDN'T make you cry.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought of this as I was looking through this thread. I suppose this pertains more to people who cry easily at movies.

What movies have you watched that you could tell were trying to evoke a tear-shedding experience but just failed.

The one that is easiest for me to recall is Schindler's List . You already know what scene I'm talking about I bet. It's the good-bye scene where Schindler goes off over how he could have saved more Jews if he had just sold his lapel pin (or was it a ring?) or his car. It seemed really forced and didn't moisten my eyes in the least.

Last edited by GrimTangent; 03-27-06 at 08:40 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Old 03-27-06, 07:43 PM

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
Old 03-27-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just go to the other thread, and for each poster assume that every film that they didn't list would then be posted by them here.
Old 03-27-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw Inside Man last weekend. I did not shed one tear. I did not feel guily about it either.
Old 03-27-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I was supposed to cry at the end of The Libertine, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I mean, I love Johnny Depp to the point where I'd bonk him right here, right now with the jealous hub watching, but the movie was just rubbing me so hard the wrong way that all I could think was "thank god that's over" and "I hope to god he gets an Oscar for that role because otherwise that crapfest is going to ruin an otherwise damn fine career."

I also didn't give a crap when Alexander finally died. I think Alexander would have been so much better if it was about twenty three hours shorter.
Old 03-27-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Armageddon. Seriously. People were boo-hooing all throughout the theater during the end "goodbye" scene - I couldn't believe it! The only thing I felt like crying about was the money I wasted on a ticket to see that crapfest.
Old 03-27-06, 11:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Armageddon. Seriously. People were boo-hooing all throughout the theater during the end "goodbye" scene - I couldn't believe it! The only thing I felt like crying about was the money I wasted on a ticket to see that crapfest.
I didn't mind this crapfest, but I did NOT though cry at the end of the film - jeesh, touchy folk...
Old 03-27-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mllefoo
I love Johnny Depp to the point where I'd bonk him right here, right now with the jealous hub watching
That makes two of us.

I don't cry easily so there are lots of movies that I haven't cried over. The last one I can think of is The Notebook. Not a tear from me amongst my buddies.
Old 03-28-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old Yeller & Bambi

Was I suppposed to cry? Only a few movies make me cry (Dancer in the Dark being one of the two).
Old 03-28-06, 08:14 AM

The scene in Pet Semetary when
Spoiler:
Cage gets run over by the semi-truck.
O.K. Maybe not intended to induce tears, but rather than the shock effect the director was likely going for, my friend and I busted out in complete laughter. Good times.
Old 03-28-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Titanic. Seriously. People were boo-hooing all throughout the theater during the end "goodbye" scene - I couldn't believe it! The only thing I felt like crying about was the money I wasted on a ticket to see that crapfest.
fixed.
Old 03-28-06, 09:22 AM

Schindler's List is definitely the one that sticks out. I've never cried at a movie, and even that flick didn't make me shed any tears. The only time I came really close was the aforementioned lapel pin scene.

For whatever reason, Forrest Gump still makes my eyes ALMOST water. That scene where Jenny tells him that Haley Joel Osment is his son. When Forrest asks her if he's smart or stupid, it still gets me to this day. Unlike Hanks' previous film, Philadelphia, which was a cheap, manipulative piece of crap.

And I said it 8 years ago, and I'll repeat it now. Anyone who cried at the end of Armageddon should be shot. Period. Well, except for Dwight from The Office.
Old 03-28-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

People cried at the end of Armageddon?

That's like crying at any point during The Day After Tomorrow, unless you're crying for that lost ten bucks and the two hours you'll never get back.
Old 03-28-06, 10:56 AM

Titanic
Old 03-28-06, 12:13 PM

Million Dollar Baby. I've only seen it once, and it was sad, but I didn't cry.

Also, Big Fish didn't affect me either.
Old 03-28-06, 12:13 PM

I will have to agree with Titanic and Armageddon. Neither made me cry.
Old 03-28-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
For whatever reason, Forrest Gump still makes my eyes ALMOST water. That scene where Jenny tells him that Haley Joel Osment is his son. When Forrest asks her if he's smart or stupid, it still gets me to this day.
Gets me too. As well as the scene where he is reading the note from Little Forrest at Jenny's grave site. Gets me everytime.
Old 03-28-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
For whatever reason, Forrest Gump still makes my eyes ALMOST water. That scene where Jenny tells him that Haley Joel Osment is his son. When Forrest asks her if he's smart or stupid, it still gets me to this day. Unlike Hanks' previous film, Philadelphia, which was a cheap, manipulative piece of crap.
Yeah, Forrest Gump isn't manipulative at all.
Old 03-28-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saving Private Ryan
Old 03-28-06, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yeah, Forrest Gump isn't manipulative at all.
It is, but it didn't have anything close to the opera scene in Philadelphia. One of the most shameless "give me an Oscar!" moments in film history. I guess it worked though.
Old 03-28-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another vote for Titanic. I remember thinking at the end that this is the point in the movie where I should cry, but I got nothin'.
Old 03-29-06, 04:08 AM

The Notebook.
Old 03-29-06, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Adventures in Babysitting. Didn't make me cry when that girl gave Thor her helmet. Didn't make me cry when Chris tells Keith Coogan he might have a shot if he were a little older. Four eyes girl finally gets to go home after spending a night of hell at the bus depot??...no tears
Old 03-29-06, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grave of the Fireflies

I get very emotional about movies and had heard this was a real gut wrencher but it just didn't move me at all.
Old 03-29-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Every movie listed here so far didnt make me cry either...I guess I am dead inside.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.