Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

3 Extremes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
3 Extremes

First: I did a search using both three & 3 and couldn't find anything so by all means, let me know.

I had no urge to see this flick at first because I kinda thought it was just going to be another gross out flick and while it was to a certain extent.....It was also just a damn good 3 films to watch.

Dumplings the first and weiderst of the bunch was pretty good, this was the nastiest of all 3 and the sound effects alone made me sick to my stomach. The bad was how much this piece was cut down for the film, there is actually a second disc dedicated to this film to show the full feature and it's MUCH better than the cut that made the film (and maked a hell of a lot more sense).

Cut prob. the slickest of the 3 in terms of directing and design. A crazy ass extra used in films captures a director who he thinks is "too nice" and tortures his wife while he explains his crazy ass ways and cries like a little bitch because he is not capable of becoming a man and dealing with the hand he was dealt in life. Good film, damn good.......although the ending didn't make much sense.

Box This is where I thought I'd be puking everywhere because it's Miike's shot but instead it was actually just a really creepy piece on human emotion with a touch of the supernatural - very tame from Miike but also pretty cool......but the end didn't make much sense.

I really dug this collection of films and it kept me interested all the way through. I might end up buying this because I can definitely see myself wanting to watch it again.

Asian horror fans like myself will not be let down.
Old 03-26-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
There was a discussion about it (a few) over at the international forum, don't think there's been one in the movie forum though.

I agree for the most part. Box's ending can be taken in a few ways, but largely I just saw that closing bit to be
Spoiler:
symbolic of the burden she bears
but it's anyones guess. Cut was typical Chan-wook Park, goofy and gory in equal doses to make a coherant pic. Dumplings, well, I like the short version's ending a tad better, though the last bit (the last 5 minutes sum up the last 45 minutes of the movie) was definitely chopped up a bit too much to really be coherant unless you had already seen the full movie.

Overall though, I agree, nice trilogy of moody asian horror. And some of the best looking horror movies as well.

Oh, and the sound during Box is great.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-26-06 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-26-06, 05:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aren't they putting out a sequal? i think i saw it on amazon up for pre order. I loved 3 extremes.
Old 03-26-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The Sequel, Three Extremes Vol 2, is actually the original Three that came out in 2002.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324242/

So in all fairness, it is the prequel. But with anthology movies like this, it doesn't really matter so much.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-26-06 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-26-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really loved this anthology. The best since Creepshow 2.