Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

First Criterion, Now Disney at Amazon

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just checking some prices at Amazon and it appears that they are now charging full list price for Disney titles. First Criterion and now Disney, I wonder which studio will be next. This totally sucks ass because I have a ton of Amazon gift certificates.
Old 03-25-06, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I was just checking some prices at Amazon and it appears that they are now charging full list price for Disney titles. First Criterion and now Disney, I wonder which studio will be next. This totally sucks ass because I have a ton of Amazon gift certificates.

Amazon.com has now discounts on Criterions. The disney thing is most likely a glitch. Amazon can't afford losing all clients who purchase dinsey films.
Old 03-25-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dx23
Amazon.com has now discounts on Criterions. The disney thing is most likely a glitch. Amazon can't afford losing all clients who purchase dinsey films.
Thanks for the heads-up on the Criterions. I certainly hope that you're right because it would really hurt to lose a discount on Disney(especially since I cannot get Disney through Columbia House).
Old 03-27-06, 01:51 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noboy pays MSRP for DVDs, especially online and Amazon got to know that. It must be a glitch or something temporarily.
Old 03-27-06, 07:27 PM

I think they may be doing some kind of MSRP rotation on purpose.
Old 03-27-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the heads-up on the Criterions. I certainly hope that you're right because it would really hurt to lose a discount on Disney(especially since I cannot get Disney through Columbia House).
What about the Disney DVD club?
Old 03-28-06, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by starecase
I think they may be doing some kind of MSRP rotation on purpose.
I agree. This might be some sort of test to see if people will purchase discs at the MSRP. Amazon did this a few years ago when they were selling select films at MSRP, but not charging for shipping--they claimed the shipping charge was built into the price. They advertised as a deal for customers, but the prices were higher than when Amazon was offering their discount and you had to pay shipping. They stopped it eventually.
Old 04-01-06, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I think they're seeing how their customers will react.
Old 04-03-06, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course they are. See how much they can stick it to you without you complaining. Kind of like the big oil companies.....just remember Amazon, unlike big oil we actually have choices as to where we buy....
Old 04-03-06, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by dablueguy
Of course they are. See how much they can stick it to you without you complaining. Kind of like the big oil companies.....just remember Amazon, unlike big oil we actually have choices as to where we buy....
The problem is: How many people know that? I know many people who will only shop at Amazon. They don't price compare, and they don't know that they can go elsewhere. When I try to get them to price compare, they're reluctant because they are afraid to try another online company.

I can't point fingers because I just found out about Amazon's price drop policy, and I've been shopping there from almost the beginning.
Old 04-03-06, 01:28 PM

I actually got an email from Amazon last Friday saying they were increasing the price of 2 DVDs on an order I had already placed from $19.96 to $29.99 (each).

It took roughly 20 minutes on the phone to get the 2 titles restored to their original prices.

Last edited by lordvdr; 04-03-06 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordvdr
I actually got an email from Amazon last Friday saying they were increasing the price of 2 DVDs on an order I had already placed from $19.96 to $29.99 (each).

It took roughly 20 minutes on the phone to get the 2 titles restored to their original prices.
Amazon has truly lost its mind if they are going to try to adjust prices higher on locked in orders. If they continue these practices, I will definitely drop them from my list of e-tailers after I burn through my gift certificates.
Old 04-04-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cmleidi
The problem is: How many people know that? I know many people who will only shop at Amazon. They don't price compare, and they don't know that they can go elsewhere. When I try to get them to price compare, they're reluctant because they are afraid to try another online company.

I can't point fingers because I just found out about Amazon's price drop policy, and I've been shopping there from almost the beginning.

I think that enough do know. The rest will hopefully just see the outrageous prices and increases in pre-orders and say forget it.
Old 04-04-06, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by dablueguy
I think that enough do know. The rest will hopefully just see the outrageous prices and increases in pre-orders and say forget it.
Last time I checked, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE was #49 and Amazon was selling it at MSRP.
Old 04-07-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just went to compare prices for the upcoming Shopgirl DVD and sure enough it comes up as $29.99 . Are they fucking kidding?
Old 04-07-06, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by matome
I just went to compare prices for the upcoming Shopgirl DVD and sure enough it comes up as $29.99 . Are they fucking kidding?
Why should they change it? Enough people are purchasing the discs at the MSRP. The in-store price for many discs beats a lot of Amazon's prices. When Borders is cheaper, something is very wrong.
Old 04-07-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, they now have a sale on Pixar movies-a whopping 20% off of list($24 per movie). They actually have the stones to label it a Big Sale.
Old 04-08-06, 04:11 AM

This is disturbing to say the least.

There was almost nothing bad I could say about Amazon before. That's how pleased I was with their system.

But to have them charging $30 for Narnia 1-disc on release week scares me.
Old 04-08-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Little Mermaid: Platinum Edition is now on sale for 30% off ($20.99).

Also, The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (both editions) was not MSRP before release date.

Hopefully, this little trial will end soon.
Old 04-10-06, 11:28 AM

Their pricing across the board is out of control. The Glamour Collection sets have changed prices six times since Thursday. I managed to pick them up when they were selling at 50% off MSRP although the MSRP listed was $29.98 not the $26.98 that's listed now.
Old 04-10-06, 06:43 PM

Yes, a disturbing trend. I noticed the Disney MSRP pricing and was going to post here but then found this thread. I sent Amazon some feedback on one of them telling them they will lose a lot of sales if they try to price these at MSRP.

EDIT: changed Disney to Amazon.

Last edited by hondo21; 04-18-06 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-20-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by hondo21
Yes, a disturbing trend. I noticed the Disney MSRP pricing and was going to post here but then found this thread. I sent Amazon some feedback on one of them telling them they will lose a lot of sales if they try to price these at MSRP.

EDIT: changed Disney to Amazon.
Did you ever get a response from Amazon? This situation is quite frustrating, to say the least.
Old 05-21-06, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Did you ever get a response from Amazon? This situation is quite frustrating, to say the least.
I received a canned response saying that their pricing is different for all range of products and I could purchase these products elsewhere if I was not satisfied. People are still buying discs at full price. I believe this is a test case and that Amazon will eventually sell most of their stuff at MSRP. Why wouldn't Amazon sell items at the MSRP if their customers aren't smart enough to go elsewhere?
Old 05-21-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Thing about this is, there are only so many Criterion movies, with Disney you also include Touchstone movie as well. I noticed the recent Enemy of the State, Con Air, etc releases are $19.99 where you can get 'em for $13 in store.
Old 05-21-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I stated earlier, i ordered Little mermaid PE at $20.99 before going to $29.99 (MSRP). I received a email from Amazon stating that they had lowered the price to $19.96 and had adjusted my ordered according. I have checked 3-4 times a week since that email and I have never seen $19.96 actually listed on their site at $29.99 (MSRP).

They really must being profiling customer in something strange way.

Last edited by Just Lurking; 05-22-06 at 07:44 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.