Bones a go for season 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bones a go for season 2

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-bo...p-tv-headlines

FOX Rattles Them 'Bones' for a Second Season

LOS ANGELES -- "We're pretty damn happy," says executive producer Hart Hanson, who has just learned that FOX has renewed his freshman crime drama "Bones" for a second season. "I had long ago given up the hope of getting an early pickup. I knew we were performing quite well, and we seemed to have a really solid audience that they couldn't shake."

"Bones" stars David Boreanaz ("Angel," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") as FBI Agent Seeley Booth, who is unofficially partnered with forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan (Emily Deschanel) and, by extension, with her scientific cohorts (TJ Thyne, Michaela Conlin, Eric Millegan, Jonathan Adams) at the fictional Jeffersonian Institute, whom he calls "squints."

After a rough launch on Tuesday at 8 p.m. ET against a not-dissimilar show, CBS' military crime procedural "NCIS" -- which has garnered huge audience numbers in its third season -- "Bones" moved around when "American Idol" premiered in January, eventually landing on Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET.

"We kept laughing that we could not catch a break, ever, on this show," Hanson says. "We were up against 'NCIS,' then 'Survivor' and 'Lost.' Good Lord. Barry Josephson, my partner, is a very, very optimistic man. I guess he turned out to be right. I was not nearly so sanguine.

"But our loyal audience just keeps tuning in. I guess FOX was heartened enough by that to pick it up. That's my guess."

Asked what he thinks he's done right, Hanson says, "Obviously, the key to this show is the chemistry between David and Emily. We covered a lot of tones, and the audience stayed with us. We had lots of different ways of plotting our stories, and the audience stuck with us.

"The thing that was always the same, withstood the test of time, was David and Emily at the core, and then the squints around them."

While Boreanaz has consistently played Booth with good humor and gusto, Deschanel's Brennan started out the season as distant and a bit chilly, but Hanson says that's been changing.

"Emily has to learn," he says. "She's very intelligent, so she learns. She has to let some of her own charm come out -- Brennan's charm and Emily's massive amounts of charm.

"Emily's an immensely charming, cheerful, happy, connected human being, then all of a sudden she turns into Brennan, and it's quite a change. Of all the actors, it's the biggest change from who she is."

Hanson, though, has no plans to alter Boreanaz's approach. "I'm starting to think, 'Oh, my God, he's James Garner.' That man loves to work, and the more he works, the better he gets, and he just gets it. He's a big star. Love him.

"As we go toward the end of the season, he's in a lot of scenes. He's working very hard. He's a bear for punishment, that guy, such a pro."

One advantage of an early pickup is that it comes before the season-finale episode has been shot, or even written.

"I'm writing it as we speak," Hanson says. "I took my hands off the keyboard. Let me just say that we'll be looking at a little bit of what happened to Brennan's parents. I don't want to tell you anything else, because now we get to do a cliffhanger."

For those who missed it, Brennan's parents vanished when she was 15, sending her into the foster-care system.

"I'll tell you that we'll find out at least half the story of what happened to Brennan's parents," Hanson says.

While he's not planning to send thank-you flowers to FOX programming chief Peter Ligouri, Hanson quips, "We're going to send him money and vehicles."
Old 03-25-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't say it's a surprise to find out what a hard working dude Boreanaz is, he did, after all, star as "Angel" which wasn't an easy grind for 5 years on its own terms after being spun off from "Buffy". Good for him.
Old 03-25-06, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watch it because of Emily Deschanel. Overall its a pretty good show. Good lead into House.
Old 03-25-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe in the fall (Bones was the lead-in for House), but with American Idol on in the winter, Bones has had to bounce around, but is now settled as the lead-in to the AI results show on Wednesdays.
Old 03-25-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fantastic news!

For me, TV just wouldn't be the same without Boreanaz. Glad to know this great show is here to stay - on FOX, no less!
Old 03-25-06, 11:34 AM

Great news. I think this got off to a mediocre start, but quickly got its ducks in a row and now is a really good show. I'll be tuning in for season 2 for sure.
Old 03-25-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I really enjoy the show so this is great news for me.
Old 03-25-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started watching it because of Emily, but I stayed because of David Boreanaz. I was never a Buffy/Angel fan so he was totally new to me, but I really enjoy his character.
Old 03-25-06, 04:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I miss Buffy and Angel, espicially Angel good times that show.
Old 03-25-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Happy to hear about this. I've been enjoying the show. It's not one of my favorites or anything. But what's weird is that when I see this on my DVR, I usually don't watch it for a few days, it just doesn't interest me. But then when I actually go to watch it, I always am entertained by it and enjoy it.
Old 03-25-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just don't understand all the critical acclaim this show receives. i have tried to watch it a few times when it began, and then I watched another few episodes midseason and I only find the show mediocre at best.

It is odd with all the good shows that have come and go on Fox that this one seems to have stuck.
Old 03-25-06, 10:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by themovieguru
I miss Buffy and Angel, espicially Angel good times that show.
Me too, I've not been able to get into a show as much as I got into Buffy/Angel
Old 03-25-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Squints amuse me at times.
Old 03-25-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
The Squints amuse me at times.
I was just going to say the same thing. I like the supporting characters more than Bones and Booth.
Old 03-26-06, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I just don't understand all the critical acclaim this show receives. i have tried to watch it a few times when it began, and then I watched another few episodes midseason and I only find the show mediocre at best.

It is odd with all the good shows that have come and go on Fox that this one seems to have stuck.
couldn't agree more....i think the show is closer to sucking than in any way good. Daschenel is terrible.

and this from someone who's read every Brennan novel....

Last edited by HistoryProf; 03-26-06 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-26-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
When the show first started I was very critical of it, especially the main actor, but I have to admit that the show has grown on me. I like the interactions between the characters, and even Brennan isn't so bad.
Old 03-26-06, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by brizz
and this from someone who's read every Brennan novel....

Reichs herself doesn't have a problem with it.
Old 03-26-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the problem with the show at the beginning is that the characters were broadly drawn stock types, the kind that made it easy to sell to a network (Brennan's clueless to pop culture, there's an oversexed lab hottie, a conspiracy theorist to clash with the FBI agent and an imature dufus).

But as the series has progressed, the actors have started to settle into their roles, and the producers and writers seem to be softening the rough edges. The last couple of episodes, Brennan has lightened up considerably.

I would be happier if they would get rid of their one crutch: that 3-D holographic light table used by Angela. She's an artist. Let her do her thing. It would make her character more personal, I think.
Old 03-26-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The last 7-8 episodes have been much more interesting than the standard procedural out on TV nowaday, and the Squint Squad truly brings the funny more often than not. I think they have found their stride.

Angela looks a bit odd because I don't think I've ever seen her forehead exposed because her hairstyle is always covering it, so it makes it look like her top skull portion looks smaller than the rest of her head.
Old 03-26-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dgmayor
I started watching it because of Emily, but I stayed because of David Boreanaz. I was never a Buffy/Angel fan so he was totally new to me, but I really enjoy his character.
See, I'm opposite. I started watching it because of David Boreanaz and gave up on the show because of Emily Deschanel. Her extremely square jaw and raspy manly voice grated on me to no end. I didn't think the show was bad, it was just her... I may give it a second chance, especially if it's around for a while, but Emily isn't even in the same league as her much more interesting and less square jawed sister Zooey.

MATT
Old 03-27-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got no problems with the show, and think it's definitely gotten better as it's progressed. I'm happy to see it coming back for another season.

What I do find sort of funny, though, is that back at the begining of the new TV season last fall, we were all voting on what new shows we liked (and didn't) and which ones we thought were going to survive. Seemed like a lot folks wrote Bones off after the first few episodes, however, its' been one of the very few new shows that's actually managed to survive - and it's on FOX of all things.
Old 03-27-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i thought this was doing bad..... but guess not... good news for David
Old 03-27-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdc3000
See, I'm opposite. I started watching it because of David Boreanaz and gave up on the show because of Emily Deschanel. Her extremely square jaw and raspy manly voice grated on me to no end. I didn't think the show was bad, it was just her... I may give it a second chance, especially if it's around for a while, but Emily isn't even in the same league as her much more interesting and less square jawed sister Zooey.

MATT
I would definitely agree that I like Zoey better. Just about every time I watch this show, I try to think about what it would be like if she had the role and not Emily.
Old 03-29-06, 11:42 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I agree. The characters and interactions on the show are far more interesting than "what body are we putting together this week" storylines. The characters are settling into their roles better and finding their grooves. Too bad FOX doesn't let more shows find their groove before they give up on them! But good news for Bones.
Old 03-29-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Zoey would have been right for this role. Emily strikes a better balance between her clinical side, and every now-n-then her ass-kicking fun side.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.