Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taste of Chaos 2006...my first concert!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the tour seems to be halfway over, but I didn't catch a thread on it here.

I got four free tix to the Sacramento show on Wednesday...it's my first real concert ever...I've been to small coffee house type concerts and some bigger venue Yellowcard concerts before they were on MTV, but nothing like this.

Should be fun, although I'm not a fan of the "screamo" genre, which most of the bands playing sound like. I've also never been to the Arco Arena, so I don't know at all what to expect.\

Some of the bands: Deftones, Silverstein, Atreyu, Thrice, Thursday, Story Of The Year, As I Lay Dying, Dredg, The Smashup, American Eyes, etc.

= J
Old 03-25-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have fun. If you are really young and end up going to a bazillion concerts over the years I'd suggest you hang on to your ticket stubs. It's pretty cool to have 25 year old concert stubs for nostalgia. Plus, you'll cringe one day at how much concert pricing changes over the years. Eek, I shudder to think how much worse it can get.
Old 03-25-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Well, the tour seems to be halfway over, but I didn't catch a thread on it here.

I got four free tix to the Sacramento show on Wednesday...it's my first real concert ever...I've been to small coffee house type concerts and some bigger venue Yellowcard concerts before they were on MTV, but nothing like this.

Should be fun, although I'm not a fan of the "screamo" genre, which most of the bands playing sound like. I've also never been to the Arco Arena, so I don't know at all what to expect.\

Some of the bands: Deftones, Silverstein, Atreyu, Thrice, Thursday, Story Of The Year, As I Lay Dying, Dredg, The Smashup, American Eyes, etc.

= J
I haven't heard all the bands, but I know for sure that Deftones and Thrice should stand out and give some of if not the best performances.
Old 03-25-06, 09:15 AM

dredge is an awesome band. they arent screamo and i really dont think they fit that concert at all. im not sure why they are even there.
Old 03-25-06, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Have fun. If you are really young and end up going to a bazillion concerts over the years I'd suggest you hang on to your ticket stubs. It's pretty cool to have 25 year old concert stubs for nostalgia. Plus, you'll cringe one day at how much concert pricing changes over the years. Eek, I shudder to think how much worse it can get.
Yup, I started doing this with my first show, which was No Doubt back in '96. I bought a business card holder just for this purpose. Fits perfectly. What sucks though is that the ink on the stubs tend to fade over time, so I was actually thinking of tracing the print with a pen or something for longevity.

Tarantino, since you're not a big fan of screamo, I'm not sure how much you'll like this show. But I hope you have fun man. Nothing beats the feeling of live music pulsating through your body.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Thrice again.
Old 03-25-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen Story of the Year twice. They sounded great both times. They did a cover of Enter Sandman.

One of my goals in life is to see Deftones live.
Old 03-25-06, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
One of my goals in life is to see Deftones live.
funny since ive seen them 5 times and im not really a fan of theirs...they just always happen to be at a show i go to.
Old 03-25-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whatever you do, if you aren't too much of a scremo fan, get out of the pit. since fans of this genere are a bit nuts. I was at a show on tuesday night with children of bodom, chimera and another band. As soon as chimera went on and into the song "nothing remains" all hell broke lose. being in the like the 3rd or 4th row in a club with no seats, everyone pushed forward (and then pushed back) so it was kind of hard to breath in a sense. Also during the show, i had 3 people (thankfully 2 of them were girls) land on my head via crowd surfing, so you have to really keep and eye out. But everyone went crazy during a song by children of bodom called "in your face" in which the song goes "I don't give a flying fuck, mother fucker, i don't give a flying fuck mother fucker...." during this little verse, i nearly broke my arm in the pit, because i got pushed around so much, if you happen to get into that grey area, usually the crew will try to get you out of there.
So be carefull there (and get there early if its a club show.
Old 03-26-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Children of Bodom
Chimaira:

Taste of Chaos: I thought about going, but ended up having other things planned that night. I'll agree with Rypro, if you don't like pushing, get out of the pit. We don't need anyone in there complaining about it.

Have fun. Keep your ticket as well. I've started scanning all of mine into the computer to combat any fading/warping.
Old 03-26-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have fun . I saw Thrice Live a few months back and enjoyed their set alot.
Old 03-27-06, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chino77
dredge is an awesome band. they arent screamo and i really dont think they fit that concert at all. im not sure why they are even there.
They're great in concert, too. But you're right---not a bad you'd expect to see in such a lineup.
Old 03-27-06, 04:59 PM

I went to this concert about a month ago, I didn't know most of the bands but it was a decent show. Deftones were definetly the best, and they closed out the show. Also expect to get a bunch of free stuff at the show, they give out MySpace bags full of crap. Also they give out free samples of Rockstar Energy Drink during the concert and after the concert they unload all of the rest of Rockstar. Just look for the Rockstar van for free cans of Rockstar.
Old 03-27-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
I keep mine in a photo album. Some 1970's prices: Paul McCartney and Wings(1976) $8.00. Led Zeppelin(1977) $9.99. Eric Clapton(1974) $5.00!!! I would often buy an extra ticket to keep untorn as a souvenier, still have them for these three shows. Plus, lots of shows were general admission so you could get front row at these prices. We use to show up a hours early to be in front of the line and when the doors opened everybody made a mad dash for the stage.
No computers in those days. The ticket outlet(record store/head shop) would have ALL their tickets right there in a big stack with a rubber band around it. You paid your money and they pulled your ticket(s) out of the stack and handed it to you. Cash only, no credit cards.
A couple times we had to send for tickets with a SASE and money order(Pink Floyd 1977, The Who 1979). I remember sitting in the car in the post office parking lot listening to mailing instructions on the radio and then running in and getting the MO and mailing it.
Old 03-30-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was nuts!

We started out on the floor, got to see two smaller bands and Dredg from about the third row. When As I Lay Dying got on, we retreated for a bit to the stands, because like Rypro mentioned, people were just killing each other on the floor! I don't know how people can like punching each other...*shrug*

Got some good pics, overall it was a good show...a bit too much for me though, at 5 hours long. Although if we'd have shown up later, we wouldn't have gotten to see Dredg. Also, some of the bands I was looking forward to weren't there...Thursday and Straylight Run. Story of the Year was good, As I Lay Dying put on a good show, and Atreyu was probably my favorite. The Deftones rocked the house in their hometown as well.

I think for my next concert, it'll be something a little more low key...the hardcore scene isn't for me. Good times though, a good experience. My ears are still ringing and my body is sore.

= J
Old 03-30-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good times though, a good experience. My ears are still ringing and my body is sore.
= J
Forget to suggest earplugs! I usually put a little bit of cotton in my ears. Doesn't hurt the sound and I'm sure it helps my ears a little bit.
Old 03-30-06, 04:27 PM

I went to this last week. I didn't really care for most of the bands. Pretty much went to see Deftones. I did get a bunch of crappy sampler cds and like 6 cans of Rockstar drink at the end though like the above poster mentioned.

As far as saving the tickets, I think the Ticketbastard tickets are thermal printed, not ink, so over time they will probably fade to nothing. I still save a lot of mine though, if I still have them when I get home.
Old 03-30-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
told ya, even if you are into the hardcore scene (or even just regular rock) and are at a club setting, stay out of the middle, or get up front as soon as possible.
Im going to a show tomorrow night with a big local band called "dog fashion disco" which could be consitered a mix between scremo and jazz.
Old 03-30-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
My ears are still ringing and my body is sore.

= J
"Where'd we park?"
"Huh?'
"What?'
Old 03-31-06, 12:47 AM

Forget to suggest earplugs! I usually put a little bit of cotton in my ears. Doesn't hurt the sound and I'm sure it helps my ears a little bit.
Cotton is probably not a good idea because there's a chance you can leave a piece deep in your ear canal, and that's no fun. It's better to buy a cheap box of foam earplugs from a drugstore.

Or better yet, get a pair of those $10-12 earplugs with the flanges. Those have better sound as they cut the decibel level of all frequencies about equally. They're really worth having if you see several concerts a year.
Old 04-02-06, 03:28 AM

no earplugs for me the louder the better.. part of the concert experience for me.. can't wait to see avenged sevendfold this month.. anybody else seen them live? they as good live as the cd? They are coming with coheed and cambria
Old 04-02-06, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by sergtv
no earplugs for me the louder the better.. part of the concert experience for me.. can't wait to see avenged sevendfold this month.. anybody else seen them live? they as good live as the cd? They are coming with coheed and cambria
Saw them on the Warped Tour last year. After Dropkick Murphys, they were probably the best show. On their own tour, they should definately kick ass. I'm still up in the air about seeing them myself. Coheed should be pretty cool as well.