Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I finally saw Network..it was a dark comedy/satire right?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched Network for the first time the other night. I had little knowledge of it beforehand. I know it won a bunch of Oscars and critics really liked it, so I figured it was gonna be a straight drama. But it wasn't. It was suprisingly funny and the ending was ridiculous. So, this was all supposed to be darkly humorous, correct?
Old 03-24-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I just read an article about this film in the April/May 06 issue of GIANT (I got a free subsription), and it mentioned that the film was considered so outlandish at the time of its release that it was up nominated for "Best Science Fiction Film of 1977" by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror.

It's an interesting satire, in that its one of the few satires made that instead of becoming dated with age has actually become seemingly more and more relevant.