Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount Dvd coming to Canada!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-20-06, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.deepdiscountdvd.ca
Old 03-20-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow. That’ll be nice for the Canadians

I wonder if they're going to ship everything from the US, or if they're literally going to have a presence in Canada...would be nice for the stuff that get's released in Canada only for Americans to buy ..Wonder if there will be free shipping to Canadian folks, also the hated dual sided covers/dual language...many questions...none which really apply to me as I’m not in Canada..
Old 03-20-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*wets his pants in excitement*

Wow. That will be fantastic. I would love to get more details (when will it be online, the info pilot mentioned above, etc etc)
Old 03-20-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Sounds interesting. I really hope the DVD's are the US versions, as I hate bilingual covers. Other concerns would be if the prices correspond to the US prices plus exchange (plus some small incidental costs), unlike amazon.com vs amazon.ca where there can be a huge difference for no apparent reason.

I would guess that it's very likely we'll be paying both taxes now, so that will have an effect as well. If, however, there is free shipping, that could still make it worthwhile. I also hope they wouldn't stop taking Canadian orders at the .com site, just in case.

Meh, too many unknowns. I guess we'll just wait and see!
Old 03-20-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by andicus
I would guess that it's very likely we'll be paying both taxes now, so that will have an effect as well. If, however, there is free shipping, that could still make it worthwhile. I also hope they wouldn't stop taking Canadian orders at the .com site, just in case.

Meh, too many unknowns. I guess we'll just wait and see!
I think the taxes charged will depend on what province they are set up in, and where you are in reference to their location. (ie: if they set up in Ontario, and you're in Ontario - then you'll get nailed the PST and GST. If they are set up in Ontario, and you're in Manitoba - you'll only get nailed on the GST)
Old 03-23-06, 09:22 AM
DeepDiscount.com

DVDTalkers,

I'm pleased to announce that our Canadian web site, DeepDiscountDVD.ca has launched!

We carry the full line of DVDs available in the Canadian retail market and all orders shipped within Canada receive FREE SHIPPING and our LOWEST TOTAL PRICE GUARANTEE!

All orders ship from our fulfillment center in Brampton, Ontario Canada.

We're very excited about our new site and hope to offer our international customers some great promotions throughout the year. Unfortunately, we are unable to ship into the United States from Canada, so please continue to visit us at DeepDiscountDVD.com for all of your other DVD needs.

Thanks again for your support and we look forward to serving you in Canada!

Dave Barker

DeepDiscountDVD.com
DeepDiscountDVD.ca
Old 03-23-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very nice.

Unfortunatley, I am finding it still cheaper to order from the US site, even when you include shipping and customs.

For example:

Planet of the apes head

DDD US Price - $125.95. Shipping = $5.95. Total US price $131.90. = $154.18 CDN.

DDD CA Price - $169.95

Even with the customs $5 handling fee, it's still $10 cheaper to order from the US site.

Last edited by Damed; 03-23-06 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-23-06, 10:11 AM
DeepDiscount.com

Damed,

On that particular title we are aggressively price matching U.S. competition so in cases like this or other price matches or special promotions you may find that we're cheaper in the U.S. The reverse will apply also, as we price match Canadian etailers you'll see significant savings in Canada. However, on DVDs priced with our everyday pricing you'll find it cheaper to order at DeepDiscountDVD.ca.

For instance:

Lord of War, SE:

DDD US PRICE - $19.19. Shipping $5.95 Total U.S. Price $25.14 = $29.17 CDN

DDD CA Price $24.92 CDN or $21.50 U.S.

This also does not include any customs charges.

I hope that this answers your concern.

Dave
Old 03-23-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks Dave, I'm sure it will balance out

Very glad to see a canadian site!
Old 03-23-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad to see the site as well, but what I pointed out in my earlier post is unfortunately the case (I.e. more than just exchange). As an example:

Do the Right Thing CC:

Canadian:
Why Pay $ 66.99?
Our Price:
$ 49.41

U.S.:
Why Pay $39.95?
Our Price:
$28.79

Almost 50% higher price when exchange is only around 17%? Checking a few more titles, it certainly appears that there are no deals on Criterion DVD's.

I understand your point, Dave, but the people that already buy from the U.S. site and ship to Canada will just continue to do so if they can't save money by ordering from the Canadian site. I can obviously only speak for myself, but my interest in the Canadian site is in having a great selection at great prices, just like the U.S. site, but without the aggravation of border issues/charges and shipping charges. Sure, we'll pay tax in the province in which the business is located, just as (presumably) U.S. citizens pay tax in those states which you have a business presence.

To do a fair comparison of the amount charged for a product you shouldn't be including the $5 handling fee, as it only applies to items shipped across the border. Nor should the shipping charge be considered, as the shipping is supposed to be free within the respective countries. In other words, just compare the 'selling' price of the DVD. At that point, I could understand there being an approximately 17-20% difference due to exchange. Beyond that, what justifies the large gap in prices, and why would anyone in Canada buy there? In the example above, it would be reasonable to see a price in Canada of about $35, rather than the $49.41 listed.

I guess all my blathering on above is just to say that it shouldn't 'balance out' to what it would cost us with shipping and border fees. It should balance out that it costs the same to start with.
Old 03-23-06, 05:20 PM
DeepDiscount.com

Andicus,

I appreciate your thoughts. However, the studios set list prices, not the retailer, so we have no choice when it comes to SRP. In the case that you pointed out above, the studio chose to have a much higher list price in Canada than in the U.S. and I can't speak to their motives.

I know that this doesn't completly answer your question but I hope that it helps.
Old 03-23-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dave, I guess maybe that answers my other question then. I was hoping that the orders in Canada were still the U.S. versions, but if they're being bought from Canadian distributors, then I suppose there's not a lot that can be done. I was thinking that you might bring in your shipments from the U.S. and then distribute them within Canada, something like amazon.com appears to do with a lot of their products.

Just to clarify, it's not the SRP that concerns me, but the selling price.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-06, 09:05 PM

Biggest problem facing Canadian etailers is the exchange rate which remains at a 14-year high. With such a strong Canadian dollar, etailers in the USA are simply more attractive, especially with their deep discounts. Why I'm buying at Amazon.com lately...

If I even save just the 15% in sales tax, then I am happy... (for example, Midnight Cowboy is $38.99 at Future Shop and with tax it's $44.83 - Amazon is $21.99 - so say the exchange rate is 20% that's $26.39 - say $3 to ship as I usually order 10 DVDs at a time - that's another $3.60 so roughly the total is $29.99 - $30!! and I have yet to get taxed using Amazon. So that's almost $15 savings on one DVD. Multiply that by 10 DVDs and you see why. When the Canadian dollars sinks down to around 75 cents or so, then I'll be more selective of how many DVDs I import. The sales tax we pay in Ontario - GST and PST - really adds up. Depressing

Another example: King Kong - $14.96 at Amazon.com and $22.86 at Deep Discount DVD.ca - that's roughly $18 at Amazon - $5 savings alone - with the sales tax added that's over $8 cheaper - of course that's not including shipping. But I can't speak for everyone as I don't order one DVD at a time. Besides at least King Kong will be Frenchified free. That's worth $8 alone IMO.

SRP on DVDs are irrelevant as when was the last time you paid SRP for a DVD? DVDs are sold practically below, at or just above cost. It's just a low margin product. So de-valued which is unfortunate.

Christian

Last edited by ChristianB; 03-23-06 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-24-06, 02:57 AM
Suspended

I've noticed there are a few titles on DDD Canada actually cheaper, such as the Children of the Corn movies. If DDD Canada does a 20% off sale, I will definitely order over the US site's sale simply because of faster shipping and it'd all probably balance out quite nicely. But, generally, these are the cheapest prices in Canada you can find, so unless you're hardcore into DVDs (and trying not to go bankrupt buying 'em), you probably will find it quite attractive. It certainly beats what I paid for all my DVDs in Canada before I started buying from DDD!

In certain instances, I will probably use DDD Canada compared to the US site, but not especially often. But, if DVDs just simply cost more from the supplier in Canada, what can you do? Either way, DDD will be getting my business.
Old 03-25-06, 04:40 AM
Suspended

Wow, I'm impressed, I placed an order at 5 am yesterday and it shipped the same day! Nice work!
Old 03-31-06, 04:02 PM
DeepDiscount.com

Coupon

We have a 10% coupon running now at DeepDiscountDVD.ca until April 9th!

Enter the code SAVE at checkout.

One coupon per person.

Enjoy!

Dave
Old 04-13-06, 01:43 AM
Moi

Happy to see DDD.ca come to Canada! Always nice to have another option. In comparing fitness DVD's, prices still seem cheaper at cdplus.com (especially with their ongoing $1 off each item coupon JUN13099)... so here's hoping prices come down in the future. On the bright side I do see a few items available at ddd.ca that aren't found at cdplus.com.
Old 04-14-06, 09:45 AM
DeepDiscount.com

Moi,

I am checking into the our pricing on the exercise titles right now.

Two things to remember about DeepDiscountDVD.ca:

1. GUARANTEED LOWEST TOTAL PRICE

DeepDiscountDVD.ca guarantees offering the lowest total price on any individual, in stock, DVD of any other online retailer of DVDs. Due to fluctuations in exchange rates DeepDiscountDVD.ca will not price match non-Canadian etailers.

2. PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE
If you find an individual DVD offered from any other online retailer at a lower total price than offered at DeepDiscountDVD.ca we will match the lower advertised price.
To receive the lowest total price guarantee, simply email the URL linking to the product information page showing the lower total price of an individual DVD (including shipping & handling charges) to [email protected] and we will match the price. Please put PRICE MATCH in the subject line.

Please post if you have any questions regarding the policies. I will be glad to help you!
Old 06-11-06, 05:59 PM

no 20% sale over at ddd.ca?
Old 06-12-06, 09:08 AM
DeepDiscount.com

At this time, the 20% sale is not available on the Canada site.

We are hoping to have a similar promotion in the future so make sure to check out www.DeepDiscountDVD.ca frequently!
Old 06-12-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeepDiscountDVD
At this time, the 20% sale is not available on the Canada site.

We are hoping to have a similar promotion in the future so make sure to check out www.DeepDiscountDVD.ca frequently!
Please see my post (Post #192) in the DDD thread regarding Canadian shipping from DDD.com and UPS.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=468385&page=5

It's important that DDD not 'upgrade' Canadian customers to UPS shipping as they charge a ridiculous brokerage fee. It will mean many refused deliveries.
Old 06-12-06, 09:39 AM
Moi

Thanks, Andicus, I stay away from ordering from the US for the most part altogether anyway, this just confirms for me another reason why I'm glad I don't. It's unfortunate we get stuck with those border charges and to have then added on as a surprise sucks even more. I hope your order works out for you in the end! But just be careful, even if it arrives without duty charges, doesn't mean you won't get a letter from UPS down the road asking for payment. That happened to my husband once... I think it was from Fedex.

DDD, I look forward to seeing the 20% discount for Canadians, but unfortunately so far the Canadian website doesn't have the DVD's I want even though they are on the US site for a good price, but I still won't order from the US anyway.
Old 06-13-06, 03:15 PM
DeepDiscount.com

Andicus,

I have forwarded your message on to our Customer Service department and they are checking into it.

I appreciate you letting us know that there is a problem with the shipping on Canadian orders!

Pam