Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"24" Am I the only one who doesn't like this show?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-18-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I've tried...and tried...but I don't get the big fascination with 24! The acting is lame, and the script is too. I'm a big fan of the action packed genre, but am I the ONLY one who doesn't LOVE this show?

And btw, there probably will be some hate for me from my family! They think this is the ultimate show ever! We can't be together for holidays anymore cuz I think this show is LAME!
Old 03-18-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes
Old 03-18-06, 12:30 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
I think I saw an episode from the first season, but then decided that I'd need to wait to get the DVDs and watch them straight through.

Still haven't.

But I'd like to.
Old 03-18-06, 12:31 PM

What season did you try to watch? The show has to be watched in order to really enjoy it. Plus it was only really good for the first two seasons. After that it became a crap show that was dumbed down for the general public.
Old 03-18-06, 12:33 PM

Last season, and one episode this season. I guess I just didn't like the characters, and although I'm sure Jack Bauer is the freakin man...the rest of them make me laugh. I am a huge fan of ALIAS, and I don't see any comparison! I guess I do need to see it from the beginning, but I can't get myself geared up to do it!
Old 03-18-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
So now we can't come over for holiday dinners? You should have told me first instead of me finding out on the internet.
Old 03-18-06, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Overall I think it's been a good show but this season has been pretty weak so far. Hopefully it'll be the last season too since the whole "24/real time" thing is wearing a bit thin IMHO and there's only so many times Jack can save the Pres/city/country/whatever before that gets old too.
Spoiler:
not to mention they've about killed off all the good supporting characters
Old 03-18-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
This is not the last season. Howard Gordon, the shows Executive Producer, is already planning Season 6. They are also planning to shoot some of it outside of Los Angeles. Also, Joel Surnow said in an interview that they are planning a 24 feature film to be shot outside the United States. They hopefully plan to get it into theaters for Summer 2007. Thus, for all the 24 haters, this isn't the last you will see of Jack Bauer.
Old 03-18-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Okay, I've tried...and tried...but I don't get the big fascination with 24! The acting is lame, and the script is too. I'm a big fan of the action packed genre, but am I the ONLY one who doesn't LOVE this show?

And btw, there probably will be some hate for me from my family! They think this is the ultimate show ever! We can't be together for holidays anymore cuz I think this show is LAME!
Also, there are plenty of predictable procedural dramas on television for you to watch if you can't get into 24. I don't watch 24 for plausibility and thank goodness it's not a procedural show. I don't think about stupid questions like why doesn't Jack eat, use the bathroom, or sleep? And I think it's funny how so many people keep asking the same question again and again "Is this the last season of 24?" or "When will Jack die?" I just want to relax and enjoy 1 hour of thrilling entertainment that will keep me on the edge of my seat every Monday night.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-18-06 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-18-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

There are a lot of weak qualities to the show, and I know many that don't like it. That said, it is a show you have to start watching from episode 1 from any given season. If you try to jump in midway through an episode or just choose a random episode, it comes across as fairly weak due to the fact that there is a lot of weak acting/dialogue splattered throughout. Taken as a whole, however, and it's a damn entertaining and exciting show.

And if you and your family are conflicting over a TV show, you should try and get on Dr. Phil and milk it for your 15 minutes.
Old 03-18-06, 01:48 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Personally I don't watch a whole lot of TV. In fact the first season of '24' is the only season that I watched on TV, I have opted to watch the rest of them on DVD due to work/family commitments.

I find it a lot easier this way and the show in my eyes is pretty much flawless. It's great entertainment and always has me on the edge of my seat. Thankfully I don't have to wait a week before the next fix and I'm glad for that.

Good news on there been another season and a possible feature film.
Old 03-18-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

True, you have to start watching it from Season 1, episode 1 to get to know Jack Bauer when you are introduced to his wife and daughter and when he was director of CTU. Jumping into the show midway into a season, episode or at the start of the 2nd-4th season won't do you any justice. Also what many people just don't seem to get is the show is a tragedy. Jack Bauer has lost so many people he's cared about over the years from the murder of his wife Teri to the death of many of his CTU colleagues and friends. That's why many 24 fans have grown to care for his character.
Old 03-18-06, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Also, there are plenty of predictable procedural dramas on television for you to watch if you can't get into 24. I don't watch 24 for plausibility and thank goodness it's not a procedural show. I don't think about stupid questions like why doesn't Jack eat, use the bathroom, or sleep? And I think it's funny how so many people keep asking the same question again and again "Is this the last season of 24?" or "When will Jack die?" I just want to relax and enjoy 1 hour of thrilling entertainment that will keep me on the edge of my seat every Monday night.
It's not that I need a predictable "safe" show to watch. I am a HUGE fan of ALIAS, and that is in the same vein as 24. That show is not feasible if you break it down or try to analyze it. So that is not the reason I dont like 24.

I think it is more that I didnt start from the beginning. One threader said that if you dont you might find some of the weaker acting and characters, and that is probably what happened. It's just that since I have caught some of the weaker episodes, I cant get motivated to watch the DVD's.

And BTW, the rift with my family is not serious! They are avid 24 fans, and cant get why I dont like it.
Old 03-18-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with you magiccmom. I tried watching both the first and second seasons and gave up on them halfway through. They start out fairly good, but just get too ridiculous after a while in plot and have characters that are too annoying to even watch anymore. So after those 2 failed attempts I haven't bothered trying to get into the later seasons.
Old 03-18-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it is more that I didnt start from the beginning.
This is pretty much it. It's an extremely hard show to get into in the middle, otherwise you won't just won't care what happens to any of the characters or know the background behind any of the plot situations. I'm quite against people judging shows from random episodes if they haven't seen the entire series, and 24 could probably be the best example.
Old 03-18-06, 02:44 PM

best show ever
Old 03-18-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

There are some people who think this is the ultimate show. Remember, there are other people who thought Friends or Joey were the ultimate shows. Different strokes for different folks so find yours and stroke it.
Old 03-18-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll write what I always write when I read questions like this:

1. There are 6 billion people in the world, so no, you aren't the only person who likes/dislikes anything.

2. There are plenty of shows, movies, books, whatever that I don't like, yet I've never felt the need to start threads about them. You don't like "24"? OK, it's not for everyone. It's time for you and your family to heal.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 03-18-06 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-18-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Remember, there are other people who thought Joey was the ultimate shows.
Nobody ever thought that. Ever.
Old 03-18-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Nobody ever thought that. Ever.
Of the 6+ Billion people out there you better believe that there are some that think this is the "ultimate" show. I thinks that the show is ultimate crap but I dont go to the Joey threads to share.
Old 03-18-06, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I'll write what I always write when I read questions like this:

1. There are 6 billion people in the world, so no, you aren't the only person who likes/dislikes anything.

2. There are plenty of shows, movies, books, whatever that I don't like, yet I've never felt the need to start threads about them. You don't like "24"? OK, it's not for everyone. It's time for you and your family to heal.

First off:

1. DUH...I'm not serious. Of course I understand that. It is a general question because I haven't found to many that don't like the show. I wanted to start a thread for discussion. Isn't that what they are for??

2. I was kidding about me and my family. LIGHTEN UP...
Old 03-18-06, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Of the 6+ Billion people out there you better believe that there are some that think this is the "ultimate" show. I thinks that the show is ultimate crap but I dont go to the Joey threads to share.

You would if the thread was "Who thinks the Joey show is ultimate crap?"
LOL
Old 03-18-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

If you want something predictable and "safe" watch all the CSI's, House, Law and Order, NCIS.

If you want to watch something that takes risks and never lets up 24 is the way to go along with The Shield and Prison Break, Lost. I'm also thinking about adding Invasion to this list too.

We all have different tastes in TV, so I respect everyones opinion here. Back in the 80's, I thought Knight Rider was the coolest show on TV and hell when the 90's came, I thought Baywatch was freaking awesome. Like someone said, some people may think Joey or even Will and Grace are must see TV. Some people may only enjoy watching sitcoms and hate 1 hour dramas.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-18-06 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-18-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
i watched half of the first season.. got bored of it.. didnt care for the writing, acting, and overall completely unrealistic nature of the show.. so I stopped watching, and havent watched an episode since.
Old 03-18-06, 04:43 PM
Cool New Member

I don't even you why you would try to watch a random episode of "24". That not how the show is designed to be viewed. No wonder you didn't like it.

That's akin to picking up a tightly plotted spy novel, opening to a random page in the middle, reading that page, and saying the book sucks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.