Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Bruce Springsteen Album : We Shall Overcome 4/25/06

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I hadn't seen this info anywhere before, got an email from Sony today.

Bruce Springsteen
We Shall Overcome The Seeger Sessions (CD+DVD (DualDisc))
Bruce Springsteen's highly anticipated new studio album features his interpretations of thirteen traditional songs, all of which associated with legendary guiding light of American folk music, Peter Seeger, along with an impressive ensemble to back him up, to make We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions one of Bruce's most personal and intimate albums yet. The content-packed DualDisc edition contains extensive behind-the-scenes footage of the recording of the album plus two bonus tracks and a special booklet including a note from Springsteen! We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions is undeniably the first must-have record of the 2006!

Not exactly what I was hoping for next from Bruce, but I'll check it out anyway.
Old 03-15-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
More DualDiscs..?

My wife loves Springsteen, but this doesn't sound like an album she'll be in line for on release day (I don't think she's a big fan of his folksy albums in general).
Old 03-15-06, 01:24 PM

Yeah, I hate Dualdiscs. Still the video features on Devils & Dust were pretty cool, actually. How much cheaper could it possibly be to release an album on Dualdisc rather than CD with a bonus DVD, though?
Old 04-25-06, 09:13 AM

OK, this comes out today. Anyone get it yet? The review in Rolling Stone gives it 4 stars and calls it "His most jubilant disc since Born in the U.S.A. and more fun than a tribute to Pete Seeger has any right to be". Sounds like it's a surprisingly fun album.
Old 04-25-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It's pretty much what you expect. Hoedown versions of traditional folk songs. Great musicianship and fun but unless you're into this stuff, you should take a pass. THen again, O Brother Where you bound soundtrack was a big hit a few years back so there is a market for traditional music. I enjoy it. I played it on my ipod while exercising yesterday and it is fun to listen to.
Old 04-25-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Bruce needs to get over this folk shit and rock again.
Old 04-25-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I thought it was a fun album.
Old 04-25-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He also plucked two of the 7 Max Weinberg 7 to play on the album - Pender and La Bamba - causing them to miss their first Conan shows since they started.
Old 04-25-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not a big fan of this folksy stuff, but like the O Brother album, I'm loving this record. It's just plain fun and you can HEAR that everyone involved is having a great time, which in turn makes me have a great time listening to it... very surprised that this is as good as it is... well worth checking out.

MATT
Old 04-25-06, 06:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
This records is great. Lots of fun, great music, lots of musicians not overdoing it, and it carries an emotional weight I didn't expect. Like Springsteen said, some of these songs are almost 100 years old, there is a reason we still listen to them. I wasn't expecting to be impressed as much as I am. A possible record of the year candidate?
Old 04-25-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
easily his best studio release since Tunnel Of Love

don't be quick to dismiss this one

this record rocks and uplifts far more than you can imagine

I wasn't expecting to be impressed as much as I am.
same here
equal to if not better than Wilco/Bragg's take on Guthrie

We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions is undeniably the first must-have record of the 2006!
quite possibly

Last edited by musick; 04-25-06 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-26-06, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I was going to pick this up when I was in Best Buy yesterday, but then I realized it was only available on DualDisc. There are two things, that if I see them on an album's packaging, instantly cause me to pass on buying it: DualDisc and Copy Protection. Oh well.
Old 04-26-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just listened to this. I really enjoyed it. I think the kind of music is an acquired taste but it's pretty enjoyable.
Old 04-26-06, 08:25 PM

Why the hate for DualDisc? I didn't touch the DualDisc stuff on Devils and Dust for almost a year, but I put it in after a hard work day and was really impressed by the quality.

Listening to a record is a great experience. But having that ability to see Springsteen perform a few tracks in a stark room with just his guitar was an amazing realization for me. Didn't cost anything more, didn't change the quality of the actual cd, and it added a whole new level to what a record can be.

And Springsteen is doing it right. He isn't putting one extra song on the dualdisc side. With this new record there is a doc about the making of the record, two bonus tracks, five or six live cuts showing the band do what they do in his farmhouse. I just don't understand the hate.
Old 04-26-06, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by david12
Why the hate for DualDisc? ...
And Springsteen is doing it right. He isn't putting one extra song on the dualdisc side. With this new record there is a doc about the making of the record, two bonus tracks, five or six live cuts showing the band do what they do in his farmhouse. I just don't understand the hate.
Well,
1: They won't play in many computers and can't be made into MP3 or itune files.
2: They can get stuck in your car's front loading CD player since they're too thick
3: You often can't successfully copy the CD side onto a regular CD-ROM which means you can't listen to them in your car at all.
4: Like double-sided DVDs, it's way too easy to scratch them since both sides are playable.
5: Occasionally the music on the DVD side is 5.1, but more often, it's "Enhanced PCM Stereo, which sounds pretty much like a CD.
6: Since the pits in a DualDisc are not as deep, it requires the player to spin faster -- end result is that not all players can play them and the max length of an album is like 60 min instead of 72.
7: We all realize that if Sony Music would just put together a collection with a Cd and a separate DVD with exactly the same content as the DualDisc, we'd have a kick-ass set that would actually work.

and finally, and most importantly for me:
8: This is the format that Sony has apparently chosen to go with over the clearly superior High-Rez format they founded -- the SACD.
Old 04-26-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Well,
1: They won't play in many computers and can't be made into MP3 or itune files.
Bon Jovi's "Have a Nice Day" and the Rob Thomas album's dualdiscs ripped to my iTunes just fine
Old 04-26-06, 11:55 PM

Well, I can say that I haven't had any problems with the two Springsteen Dual Discs that I have. Sorry that you are experiencing so much trouble, but the album is still worth checking out.
Old 04-27-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Decker
7: We all realize that if Sony Music would just put together a collection with a Cd and a separate DVD with exactly the same content as the DualDisc, we'd have a kick-ass set that would actually work.
I haven't experienced any of the other problems mentioned, but I DEFINITELY agree with this.
Old 04-27-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't care for Springsteen's last album and this new one looked a bit boring on paper. But after seeing the first video yesterday I definitely am curious about it.
Old 04-27-06, 09:04 AM

Well, not all Dual Discs have been problematic for me. I was reporting on what others have said. The problems I had were with both DMB's last album and especially Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Machine. Both albums had TONS of flaws and skips when copied to CD-ROM and MP3. I think it took me like six CDs before I got an acceptable copy of Extraordinary Machine (and that was only after slow conversion to MP3 and then back to CD).
I would certainly NEVER put a DualDisc in my car's CD player, that's for sure.
Old 04-27-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
Some folk is great, but Bruce just isn't very good at it.