Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pulp Fiction question?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pulp Fiction question?

Old 03-14-06, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulp Fiction question?

I'm sure dozens of people will be able to answer this for me, but who is the guy supposed to be on the stage at Jack Rabbit Slim's, when Vincent and Mia walk in, and what song is he finishing?
I think it's supposed to be Ricky Nelson, but I'm not sure, and I have no idea what the song is.
Old 03-14-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Lonesome Town" is the only Ricky Nelson song on the soundtrack. He might have performed another. It's been awhile since I've watched my DVD.
Old 03-14-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just re-watched it now, and it's not "Lonesome Town" but a more uptempo tune. I thought it sounded like "It's Late" but it's something else. *watching the credits*
Old 03-14-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Waitin' In School" but the credits do not list Ricky Nelson as the performer. It shows Gary Shorelle -- probably a Ricky sound-alike.
Old 03-14-06, 08:34 PM

Thanks Xbox69. I knew it wouldn't take long.
Old 04-03-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Pulp Fiction question?

Question about "The Gold Watch" that contains spoilers :

Why does Marcellus forgive Butch after being "rescued" from Zed and company?

Was he really rescued? If Butch would have thrown the fight like he was supposed to they would have never been in that situation in the first place,
Macellus' asshole would still be intact and Vincent would still be alive. Am I wrong or is there something that I missed?
Old 04-03-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

"When two men are in a situation like me and your daddy were for as long as we were, they begin to take on certain responsibilities of the other. If it had been me who'd... not made it, Major Coolidge would talking right now to my son, Jim. But the way things turned out is, I'm talking to you."
Old 04-03-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes you have to let the past go with some people, especially when that someone helps stop someone from analy fucking you to death.
Old 04-03-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
"When two men are in a situation like me and your daddy were for as long as we were, they begin to take on certain responsibilities of the other. If it had been me who'd... not made it, Major Coolidge would talking right now to my son, Jim. But the way things turned out is, I'm talking to you."
Wow. I've seen Pulp Fiction close to 20 times (if not more), and I never saw the parallel of Koons/Coolidge and Coolidge/Wallace before. That's cool.
Old 04-03-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
That's interesting but I still think that Marcellus should have his ass killed. Because of him 2 people are dead (his boxing opponent & Vincent),
Marcellus lost his money on the match and he is going to have to look forward to some painful bowel movements.
Old 04-03-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Well, they would have killed Marcellus, though. They're not just gonna rape him and let him go after all that.

Butch rescued Wallace and they were even. Butch just lost his L.A. privileges.
Old 04-03-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, they would have killed Marcellus, though. They're not just gonna rape him and let him go after all that.

Butch rescued Wallace and they were even. Butch just lost his L.A. privileges.
They are not even, Butch put them in that situation because he did not do what he was told. Two people are dead, one man is out of money and his tuckus was violated. LA privileges ain't shit compare to what Marcellus lost.
Old 04-03-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
They are not even, Butch put them in that situation because he did not do what he was told. Two people are dead, one man is out of money and his tuckus was violated. LA privileges ain't shit compare to what Marcellus lost.
Marcellus would have been dead, though. Everything else is collateral damage after the fact.
Old 04-03-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Question about "The Gold Watch" that contains spoilers :

Why does Marcellus forgive Butch after being "rescued" from Zed and company?

Was he really rescued? If Butch would have thrown the fight like he was supposed to they would have never been in that situation in the first place,
Macellus' asshole would still be intact and Vincent would still be alive. Am I wrong or is there something that I missed?
You've never been in a cornhole situation, have you?
Old 04-03-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Marcellus would have been dead, though. Everything else is collateral damage after the fact.
Lets say you are playing around with a loaded gun in your yard and I am your neighbor watering the grass in the yard next to yours. The gun goes off and the bullet strikes me in the head. You call the police/EMT, they rush me to the hospital into emergency surgery and I survive. Technically you did save my life, I would have been dead if you would not have made the phone call but...............

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
You've never been in a cornhole situation, have you?
Does a prostate exam count?
Old 04-03-14, 05:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 398 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
Sometimes you have to let the past go with some people, especially when that someone helps stop someone from analy fucking you to death.
you just wrote my epitaph.
Old 04-03-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lets say you are playing around with a loaded gun in your yard and I am your neighbor watering the grass in the yard next to yours. The gun goes off and the bullet strikes me in the head. You call the police/EMT, they rush me to the hospital into emergency surgery and I survive. Technically you did save my life, I would have been dead if you would not have made the phone call but...............
That's a really "out there" variable considering it's as plain as day what's being conveyed in Pulp Fiction.

Marcellus was going to get raped and who knows what else. Butch stopped it in time before it got to th next level. Vincent was collateral damage. Marcellus being the kingpin and let that slide and banished him from L.A. It's also a secret between them.
Old 04-03-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Marcellus also does not know that Vincent is dead. Hence Butch's haste in getting the hell out of town before Marcellus finds out.

Another reason for Butch saving Marcellus, and why Marcellus is so grateful: What is the worst thing for Marcellus? "To look like a bitch", in Jules' so eloquent words. And in that cellar, that's exactly what he looked like. Marcellus was thankful for the rescue, and also that the information of what happened in there to never get out (assuming Butch keeps his promise). He's willing to let what Butch did (not throwing the fight like he was supposed to) go, in exchange for escaping a far worse situation: Being fucked by someone other than Mrs. Wallace.
Old 04-03-14, 06:57 PM

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,088 Posts
I honestly hadn't considered that angle before, Paff. Brilliant!
Old 04-03-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

The script for Pulp Fiction is wonderfully constructed, with many seemingly throw-away lines like the "Marcellus Wallace don't liked to be fucked by anybody 'cept Mrs. Wallace" paying off later on.

I always loved a line in Time magazine's review of the film, which said it was "like Seinfeld with profanity".
Old 04-03-14, 08:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

In eight years no one has answered the thread title?!

Yes lookslikeme, your post is a question about the movie Pulp Fiction.
Old 04-04-14, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

What was in the briefcase?
Old 04-04-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Some good answers but I still would have killed his ass. Along with Jackie Brown I think it is Tarantino's best film.
Love the French New Wave & American Noir influences. I hope one day QT writes another screenplay with Roger Avary.
Old 04-04-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
QT has outright said that he never wants to write another adaptation, and I can't see him writing another screenplay with anybody else again at this point.
Old 04-04-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
In eight years no one has answered the thread title?!

Yes lookslikeme, your post is a question about the movie Pulp Fiction.
We now have closure.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.