Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Godfather

Old 03-13-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Godfather

So the Godfather hits stores next week...what's the buzz?

Looks great from screenshots.

= J
Old 03-13-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts
I'll be waiting for the 360 version which doesn't hit till April sometime. Everything I've seen/read makes the game look worth picking up.
Old 03-13-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm extremely wary of any licensed game created more to "cash in" to the whole gangster stuff. I've seen screenshots but honestly couldn't determine if that made a great game.
Old 03-13-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think anyone with the Godfather license would take time and care to make sure it wasn't a crappy game.

Then again, there haven't been many memorable games based on movies.

= J
Old 03-13-06, 07:56 PM
Retired

I'm very wary. Love the movies, and I figure the game will end up just being a lot like the GTA games which I hate.
Old 03-13-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
I think anyone with the Godfather license would take time and care to make sure it wasn't a crappy game.

Then again, there haven't been many memorable games based on movies.

= J
Uh, it's EA.
Old 03-14-06, 02:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This game has been in development for years, actually, so it's not the usual EA rush job. Someone I know tried it out recently, and said it's what GTA and True Crime should be. They were honestly surprised at how much they enjoyed it. It has some free-roam stuff, but there is a storyline that you have to come back to at certain points. I'm really anxious to try it out.
Old 03-14-06, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
I'll be waiting for the 360 version which doesn't hit till April sometime. Everything I've seen/read makes the game look worth picking up.
Try July.
Old 03-14-06, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I'm waiting for the 360 version....we'll see if the current-gen stuff bombs...if so, I'll pass.
Old 03-14-06, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When I first watched the films, years ago, I thought to myself "you know, as far as movies go, these are okay, but they'd make for a really good video game."

So, this is obviously a dream come true for me. Needless to say, I will be first in line on release day.

Last edited by Matt; 03-14-06 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-20-06, 10:13 AM

I bet its gonna suck. I watched that stupid MTV special the other day on it.

Im sick of the rap stars taking over these movies. Scarface was not all that classic so whatever.

But, The Godfather is one of the best movies ever. I think it diminishes its name to be associated with shitty fake gangsta rappers and a crappy EA video game.

Shame, shame to whoever licensed this to them.
Old 03-20-06, 10:37 AM

RockStrongo hates black people :P

Naa but seriously, for me it's a video game, I don't expect it to be as good as the movie or a strong adaptation of the movie. I feel it will be inspired by it at best, and if it halfways does that then I don't care who does the voice acting. I don't think video games diminish movies, to me they are almost a total seperate entity...it's not like the movie licensed games in the 80's or 90's were mirror images of the movie so why should it be that way now.

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
I bet its gonna suck. I watched that stupid MTV special the other day on it.

Im sick of the rap stars taking over these movies. Scarface was not all that classic so whatever.

But, The Godfather is one of the best movies ever. I think it diminishes its name to be associated with shitty fake gangsta rappers and a crappy EA video game.

Last edited by TripWire; 03-20-06 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-20-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Well, it wasn't Coppola. I read he was pissed that this game got made. I wonder how many tracks Brando laid down before he croaked. I have a funny feeling it'll be like using the Bela Legosi footage in Plan 9 From Outer Space.
Old 03-20-06, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by TripWire
RockStrongo hates black people :P

Naa but seriously, for me it's a video game, I don't expect it to be as good as the movie or a strong adaptation of the movie. I feel it will be inspired by it at best, and if it halfways does that then I don't care who does the voice acting. I don't think video games diminish movies, to me they are almost a total seperate entity...it's not like the movie licensed games in the 80's or 90's were mirror images of the movie so why should it be that way now.
I think bad video games can diminish movies (just like bad sequels). I just dont think classics should have video games made about them. Especially since the game doesnt follow the movie, but yet has scenes and so on from it. It just doesnt make sense.

Next thing you know, there will be a Casablanca game where you are Rick and you fight the Nazi's to save Ilsa.
Old 03-20-06, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Well, it wasn't Coppola. I read he was pissed that this game got made. I wonder how many tracks Brando laid down before he croaked. I have a funny feeling it'll be like using the Bela Legosi footage in Plan 9 From Outer Space.
Yeah, I read that too...Good for him....he feels first hand what I am talking about. It lessens the seriousness of the movie when reducing it to a video game.

Guy #1 - "Have you seen the Godfather?? Its my favorite movie of all time!!"
Guy #2 - "Nah, I played the video game and it sucked."
Old 03-20-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think bad video games can diminish movies (just like bad sequels).
Well, that's your own problem then.

Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions were pure fanboy garbage. Enter the Matrix is one of the worst video games I've ever seen in my life. However, none of that actually changes the original movie.. which still kicks ass. Just because EA is making a cheap, gangster hip hop version of The Godfather does NOT make the movie any less than what it was.

Speaking of.. has EA made a single game in the last decade that wasn't based on something else?
Old 03-20-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Speaking of.. has EA made a single game in the last decade that wasn't based on something else?
Hell no they haven't. EA left the business of innovation back in the early nineties.
Old 03-20-06, 10:59 AM

Well, that's your own problem then.

Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions were pure fanboy garbage. Enter the Matrix is one of the worst video games I've ever seen in my life. However, none of that actually changes the original movie.. which still kicks ass. Just because EA is making a cheap, gangster hip hop version of The Godfather does NOT make the movie any less than what it was.

No, im not saying they diminish it in my mind....just the overall view of the movie in the film world. The Godfather is my #1 all time favorite movie so Im a bit partial.

IMO, the sequels to the Matrix and the crappy video game DID hurt the first one's legacy. Sure its the best out of all of them, but people still look at it as a trilogy. For example, when advertising V for Vendetta, they say "From the creators of the Matrix trilogy".
Old 03-20-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, im not saying they diminish it in my mind....just the overall view of the movie in the film world.
I seriously doubt anybody in the film world is going to change their opinion on The Godfather based on this game. I seriously doubt anybody is the film world would actually play this game for starters. You're really putting WAY more weight on this than needs to be there. Yes, there may be some minor irritation from people that respect the movie and yes, I agree that it's pretty vile and deplorable that EA is trying to cash in yet again on someone else's success, even more than usual since it's something I really like.. but once all is said and done nobody is really going to care.
Old 03-20-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
No, im not saying they diminish it in my mind....just the overall view of the movie in the film world. The Godfather is my #1 all time favorite movie so Im a bit partial.
Everybody gets their favorite film/tv show trampled on by cynical money-grabs... what makes you think that you should be any different?
If this is the first time it's happened to you, then consider yourself lucky.

Besides, the opposite is true too. Great games get tarnished by poor movies. DOOM is the latest example.
Old 03-20-06, 12:08 PM

Yes, there may be some minor irritation from people that respect the movie and yes, I agree that it's pretty vile and deplorable that EA is trying to cash in yet again on someone else's success, even more than usual since it's something I really like.. but once all is said and done nobody is really going to care.
I agree with the beginning of your statement. Do I think people will rate the Godfather a star less in their mind because of this?? Of course not.

I just think some films deserve more respect. Granted, this is not completely EA's fault. Whoever owns the rights to The Godfather (maybe Puzo's family??) are the ones to blame.

To me, its like when an artist sells his music for advertisements. Yes, he has his right to do that, but I lose some respect for him (as do many others).
Old 03-20-06, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sracer
Everybody gets their favorite film/tv show trampled on by cynical money-grabs... what makes you think that you should be any different?
If this is the first time it's happened to you, then consider yourself lucky.
So, this makes it all ok?? This is an internet forum. I think I have the right to express my opinion about this game.

Besides, the opposite is true too. Great games get tarnished by poor movies. DOOM is the latest example.
I didnt see the movie, but I understand that.
Old 03-20-06, 12:37 PM

what's with all the whining without having played the the game?

And Coppola was only pissed because he didn't get any money in this deal.
Old 03-20-06, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Zwerchfell
what's with all the whining without having played the the game?
Face it...the majority of games based on movies suck. They put lackluster effort behind them because they know the name will sell it beyond any other crappy video game. So far, this looks like the case, but we will find out soon enough.

And Coppola was only pissed because he didn't get any money in this deal.
Im sure artistic integrity was an issue too. Not everyone likes to whore themselves out.
Old 03-20-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Hell no they haven't. EA left the business of innovation back in the early nineties.
I guess it's become fashionable to bash EA these days since they are like the Microsoft of games, but they have had some pretty coold games this gen. The SSX series was one of my favorites as was the Burnout series. No doubt they fall into sequelitis like every other dev, but even innovative developers like Nintendo milk the crap out of their franchises.

That being said I am curious to see how this game turns out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.