Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

HD-DVD for 360 in future?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
HD-DVD for 360 in future?

Saw this over at Team Xbox and it appears that HD-DVD could be in the works for the 360 after all but as an optional add-on. There's some details on Sony's problems with the Blue-Ray. I know it's still far off but just the thought that MS is giving it a thought is a plus.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10375/...-for-Xbox-360/

I meant to add this about who is on what side of the format war. It's a pretty interesting list of major firms and surprising at that.
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/129058.html

Kenny J.

Last edited by K&AJones; 03-11-06 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-11-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, I think they've said this for awhile. I think it probably is indicative of the fact that games really don't need as much space as there is on a HD or even a BR disc, but MS doesn't want to "appear" to be behind the times wrt HD, which obviously they aren't because they can do Xbox games in HD.

All for show, I believe.
Old 03-11-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Yeah, I think they've said this for awhile. I think it probably is indicative of the fact that games really don't need as much space as there is on a HD or even a BR disc, but MS doesn't want to "appear" to be behind the times wrt HD, which obviously they aren't because they can do Xbox games in HD.

All for show, I believe.
If by "all for show" you mean "keep pressure on Sony to include BR on the PS3", then I would agree. That's the REAL motivation behind the announcement, IMO.
Old 03-12-06, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this has been out there, just to show the hardcore xbox fans that yes sony will probably kill their console again. i'm on the fence about the next two from nintendo and sony, because what sold me on xbox beside halo2 was the fact the control was made for adult hands and no little kid hands, so i can play for hours without hand cramp. oh yeah what was the topic here again????
Old 03-12-06, 03:34 AM

strictly for movies, so who cares?
it'll be nicer than buying a 700 dollar player.
Old 03-12-06, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dont ever say strictly for anything when it comes to microsoft its up to their software people what the hardware devices do, and it seems like they can never make up their mind when it comes to their game systems.
Old 03-12-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Discussed already here a couple of months ago.
Old 03-12-06, 10:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
If by "all for show" you mean "keep pressure on Sony to include BR on the PS3", then I would agree. That's the REAL motivation behind the announcement, IMO.
Why would Microsoft want to pressure Sony into keeping BR on the PS3? Blu-Ray on the PS3 is bad for Microsoft. Also, they don't need to keep pressure on Sony, as BR on PS3 is part of Sony's plan for home media center dominance.
Old 03-13-06, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

BR on PS3 means a higher MSRP which helps MS. There was some speculation that the BR drive was going to be dropped for the sake of cost cutting.
Old 03-13-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Why would Microsoft want to pressure Sony into keeping BR on the PS3? Blu-Ray on the PS3 is bad for Microsoft. Also, they don't need to keep pressure on Sony, as BR on PS3 is part of Sony's plan for home media center dominance.
Qui Gon Jim explained my belief correctly.

Blu-Ray on PS3 is not bad for Microsoft... at least not yet. Because it isn't certain that Blu-Ray will be commercially successful. The greater expense of BR vs. HD (or SD) will translate into higher Vaio (equipped with BR drives) prices and a higher PS3 price. That price differential is going to be a "drag" on sales with no guarantee of success.

By Microsoft not embedding a next-gen DVD drive in the 360, they were able to get the 360 out to market first.... and less expensive. By dangling the possibility of an HD-DVD add-on to the 360, it helps address criticism.

I believe that there are 2 things that are holding Sony back from releasing the PS3. First is that some of the details regarding Blu-Ray are still unresolved. Second, I believe that Sony is having difficulty fitting all of the components inside their "George Foreman grill" console shape.
Old 03-13-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
The thing I like with Microsoft is they're having the drive "optional", With Sony they're wanting it with the PS3 but costs are playing a major role. I don't think they're wanting an optional add-on drive period. I also think with all the backing from several top firms Blu-Ray would be the format a long time ago. I'm sure that any HD drive can benifit developers by freeing up compression on 360 games which would translate in better quality.

Kenny J.
Old 03-14-06, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think they are looking to put games on HD for the 360, just a player for movies.
Old 03-14-06, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I don't think they are looking to put games on HD for the 360, just a player for movies.
Yes, that is all MS has committed too.
Old 03-14-06, 07:05 AM
Banned

It has been hinted on more than one occassion that they may distribute games on HD-DVD. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.