Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET: Infinifilm Edition -9/26/06

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-10-06, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Line will be re-releasing a special edition of Nightmare on Elm Street according to Wes Craven interviews. A snipit about the release can be heard on the IGN interview, though it's very short.

It is unknown if this is to be a regular DVD re-release or part of the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray releases? Possibly just DVD or maybe both? I don't know if New Line is supporting HD-DVD or Blu-Ray or both?

I suppose they will get around to doing the whole series eventually if the first one sells. This is not all that surprising as the first DVD came out 7 years ago.

The special edition box set of the Friday the 13th series sold fairly well, so I don't see a special edition of Elm Street not selling at least equally as well.

This series has a lot to work with as far as special features (deleted scenes, workprint cuts, tv spots, promotional footage, unrated scenes, etc.) that do still exist. So, hopefully they will do something cool with this release. Maybe an unrated cut like the one that originally played in Japan?

Wes Craven has recorded new commentaries for it according to the interview.

The release date and format/formats and special feature list are unknown at this time.

I would expect this to be a 2007 release/possible 2006 Fall release. But, that is all speculative. If another Elm Street or the Elm Street prequel ever see the light of day in the upcoming future, this could possibly be a tie-in release as well.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 03-10-06 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-10-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
I was waiting forever on a price drop for the previous box set, but I'd cave in for this complete set if it is released. Thanks for the news.
Old 03-10-06, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I was waiting forever on a price drop for the previous box set, but I'd cave in for this complete set if it is released. Thanks for the news.
The box set had a price drop a long time ago. You can find it for around $40-45 pretty much anywhere, if not cheaper.
Old 03-10-06, 08:21 PM

Me too. I was about to go ahead and pick up the existing box set....until I saw this thread. I'll just wait for an update before deciding. Thanks for the news.
Old 03-10-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes. thanks OP. I was very close to buying the "old" version...Now I can see what the updates are then choose.
Old 03-10-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd be willing to upgrade if the entire series received SE treatment.
Old 03-10-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd only upgrade if they updated the whole series.

New transfers, DTS-ES remixes (think of how horrific the Roach Motel sequence in Dream Master would sound like), deleted stuff, more behinds the scenes goodies, and all the features from the original sets carried over.
Old 03-11-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Unless the movies themselves were longer, I doubt I would buy a new set. I've only watched the extra features a couple of times, so I don't think it would be worth it to me.

Good news for people who don't have the sets yet, though.
Old 03-11-06, 12:53 AM

It is unknown if this is to be a regular DVD re-release or part of the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray releases? Possibly just DVD or maybe both? I don't know if New Line is supporting HD-DVD or Blu-Ray or both?
While New Line already has anamorphic transfers for the whole series, they were originally done in 1999, so I'm sure they will be making new HD transfers.

In theory, New Line should be supporting both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, they are distributed by Warner Home Video.

The only way I'm going to re-buy any of these discs will be for the HD upgrade.

fitprod
Old 03-11-06, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is great news for my lil brother who is an elm street nut.

The box set had a price drop a long time ago. You can find it for around $40-45 pretty much anywhere, if not cheaper.
Seems like only yesterday i dropped 120 bucks for that set.
Old 03-11-06, 06:57 PM
Cool New Member

That would be great if they did that. Even with the boxed set, the extras on the last disc were still kind of dissappointing. They only had one trailer for each movie and the rest of it was spent interviewing the directors and writers.

I hope this special edition is worth it, being the uncut version, deleted scenes, a good featurette on the making of the film and maybe another on the popularity of Freddy, and also the dvd with the original poster art.
Old 03-11-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will only repurchase the film if it is either unrated...or at least features many worth while features(like all the deleted scenes from the Elite Entertainment release,tv spots and so forth). Also a better mastered original mono mix would be good as well. Since I've tried toying with my system to get decent audio from that mix. And it still comes out incredibly compressed and tiny sounding. The old mono VHS releases sounded loud and clear compared to the mono mix on the dvd!
Old 03-11-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know i remember paying $100 for the dvd set and before that paying 125 for the Elite SE LD. I'd probably pick it up, one of my favorite horror films. Might as well add one more copy for my collection, a few more and it will rank up there with halloween and AoD(in my collection not in # of releases, just in my collection).
Old 03-12-06, 12:49 PM

Ill definently be picking this up im a big NOES fan. Hopefully this does seell well and they release SE's of all the movies, id love to get commentary tracks for films 2-6.
Old 03-13-06, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm intrigued by this, but I already own the Box right now. I LOVE NOES, but I think the current set is actually pretty good. The sound and transfers seems pretty good to me.
Old 03-13-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I'm intrigued by this, but I already own the Box right now. I LOVE NOES, but I think the current set is actually pretty good. The sound and transfers seems pretty good to me.
Same here. The box set is already kick-ass IMO.
Old 03-13-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ianholm
Same here. The box set is already kick-ass IMO.
Except for the snappers.
Old 03-13-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
The special edition box set of the Friday the 13th series sold fairly well, so I don't see a special edition of Elm Street not selling at least equally as well.
I don't not agree with you.
Old 03-13-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big e
Except for the snappers.
The snappers for these aren't as bad because they are inside of another box.

Standalone snappers are bad.
Old 03-13-06, 12:54 PM

hmm.. if there are commentaries on Part 2, and 4 and 6 then that would be enough. Don't get me started on #2 - I think it's one of the best of the series - most understood and underated...definitely needs a Sholder commentary! Three is the most fun for me - would love to see more interviews and commentary....Don't care that much for 5.. But I agree that the current video is pretty good...
Old 03-13-06, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve
hmm.. if there are commentaries on Part 2, and 4 and 6 then that would be enough. Don't get me started on #2 - I think it's one of the best of the series - most understood and underated...definitely needs a Sholder commentary! Three is the most fun for me - would love to see more interviews and commentary....Don't care that much for 5.. But I agree that the current video is pretty good...
2=homo-erotic=yum.
Old 03-13-06, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also if they do redo the entire series. Part 5 better have an R & Unrated option at the very least.
Old 03-13-06, 11:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm a huge Wes Craven fan and will buy it for the new Craven commentary alone. I hope they include those deleted scenes from that double tape release from like 1996 or something. I have a copy of this but would like to have a DVD of it.

I think it would be awesome to see REAL special editions of all of them, but who knows if that will ever happen. I know Renny Harlin does commentaries, so maybe he'll go back and do a commentary for part 4.
Old 03-14-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd gladly double-dip if they make it worthwhile. The box set was fantastic for its day, but there's still a lot more they could add between new transfers (down-converted from HD hopefully), commentaries on most of the sequels, some movie-specific featurettes, and as somebody else already mentioned, a doc on the pop culture phenomenon of Freddy. I have no problem rebuying these.
Old 03-14-06, 12:47 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
I hope they include those deleted scenes from that double tape release from like 1996 or something. I have a copy of this but would like to have a DVD of it.
I remember seeing that in stores and always wanted it, but could never justify its high price (I rememeber Media Play was selling it for $30).

Hopefully those scenes do make their way to this new DVD set.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.