Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What do to about surround placement?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Ok, bought a house w/ prewire for 5.1 surround sound. Thing is, the rear prewires are in the ceiling.

I could do a bipole/dipole set up, but that would require alot of wiring work and would be a major PITA. Plus, this isn't like a dedicated HT, so having 2 speakers on side walls would be definitely out of place.

So I'm basically stuck with either doing mounted satellites or in-wall speakers. I know there are a bunch of great satellite speakers out there. Thing is, again, having 2 mounted speakers coming out of the ceiling sort of looks weird.

I haven't much experience w/ in-wall speakers. My guess is that I'd lose some directionality with them, but I'd gain a more aesthetic look.

Any ideas or recommendations?
Old 03-10-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
What about flush-mounted ceiling speakers? They wouldn't look all that strange at all. Some, maybe all, allow you to angle them before putting on the grill.
Old 03-10-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, that's what I meant by in-walls. I meant more in-ceiling than in-walls. I've been looking and there are a ton of speakers available. I think I may just go buy something at Best Buy full well in knowing I can return them.
Old 03-11-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
There are in ceiling speakers that sound good and can be aimed but the bottom line is that the placement is not correct and you may have a real battle to get good surround sound out of that design.
Old 03-11-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, I've decided on the Speakercraft AIM series. Demo'd them at Best Buy and was very pleasantly surprised. The fact that I can aim the tweeter to the direction of my sitting arangements made me decide that is the way to go.