Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP: Xbox 360 just died

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-07-06, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. My 360 machine just went dead and gave me the RoL and I'm having to send it in to get it fixed. Had the thing since they went on sell and used it as my DVD player too.

Even though I'm disappointed that the thing didn't last longer, at least the customer service was very responsive and is sending me a prepaid shipping lable to have it worked on somewhere. Now to see how long it takes them to actually fix it and return it. Can anyone else tell me how long it takes MS to fix and return the unit?
Old 03-07-06, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RoL? Ring of Light? mine was being weird the other night flashing green lights back and forth between control port one and two while i was playing doa4. how do you know if the lights are something bad do they flash different colors.
Old 03-07-06, 06:14 AM

I had read about the problems I was getting back when the system was first released and was able to find the info I needed by Googling it and looking it up on some 360 forums.

The Ring Of Light are the red lights that surround the power button. When the three red lights come on and the green power light is on, there's a problem. I had to make sure the connection to the 360 and TV were good, unplug the power and reconnect it, and then remove the hard drive, and during each phase I tried turning the console back on with no avail.

Here's the support link for what problem I had, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534

And here's the basic support for 360 itself, http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support

About 2 weeks before the console finally stopped working altogether, I started having problems getting it to turn on. I would turn it on and then get a frozen intro screen, a block pattern, or a blank gray screen with a high pitch sound (kinda like the old Atari games used to make when the game wasn't pushed in all the way). Then after a few times of turning the console on and off or unplugging everything, it would work fine playing games and DVDs. Then it went bye bye.
Old 03-07-06, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by oldone
I had read about the problems I was getting back when the system was first released and was able to find the info I needed by Googling it and looking it up on some 360 forums.

The Ring Of Light are the red lights that surround the power button. When the three red lights come on and the green power light is on, there's a problem. I had to make sure the connection to the 360 and TV were good, unplug the power and reconnect it, and then remove the hard drive, and during each phase I tried turning the console back on with no avail.

Here's the support link for what problem I had, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534

About 2 weeks before the console finally stopped working altogether, I started having problems getting it to turn on. I would turn it on and then get a frozen intro screen, a block pattern, or a blank gray screen with a high pitch sound (kinda like the old Atari games used to make when the game wasn't pushed in all the way). Then after a few times of turning the console on and off or unplugging everything, it would work fine playing games and DVDs. Then it went bye bye.

To be perfectly honest I hope mine lasts about six months and then dies that way I'll know that I have a good one when I get my replacement. I certainly don't want to be stuck with launch hardware forever they always make improvements.
Old 03-07-06, 06:48 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the same problem I had. I bought my system on launch day. Had a few freezing issues in games, but I didn't think anything of it because they were in games people reported problems with random freezing.

One day, I'm playing a little and I restart my 360. When I turn it off and press the power button, I'm greeted to the 3 red lights.

My timeline, and yours may be similar, was as follows.

- I called on Thursday, 2/23/06. They give me a case number and say they are sending out a prepaid shipping box to send it back.
- Monday, 2/27/06, I receive the shipping box and drop it off at the UPS shipping center near my house. It goes next day air from Michigan to Texas
- Tuesday, 2/28/06, they receive my 360 and email me as such.
- Thursday, 3/2/06, I receive and email with a tracking number stating that a 360 is on its way to me.
- Friday, 3/3/06, I receive the 360.

I opened the box, and it looked like a new unit. It had the stickers over the infrared port and the dvd drive. It was in a plastic microsoft bag. The build date was one of the latest ones, 1/13/06

So, a week from the time I called until I had a replacement 360. It has been working perferctly thus far. Though, when I did receive the replacement, I enrolled it in their 2 year extended warrenty incase anything ever happens again. And for $49.99, I would suggest it to anyone.

YMMV.
Old 03-07-06, 07:08 AM
Banned

That sucks. What kind of warrantee do these things come with from the factory?
Old 03-07-06, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had problems with my original xbox and the response time to fix it was the same as Vryce mentioned above. Very good service.

Originally Posted by joshd2012
90 Day I think
Video Game Talk Reviewer

90 day limited warrenty.
Old 03-07-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My service was ok....not as good. I never got e-mail updates. They sent me a faulty XBOX back the first time, could not conenct to LIVE. I finally got a new one though and a free controller for my trouble. I've only had problems though....they cannot find my extended warranty now, so I had to write a letter to the MS offices, since no phone calls would help. I love my 360, loved my XBOX, but I'm upset with the quality control lately. Plus, everything in my Marketplace downloads EXTREMELY slow now....but the Arcade works fine.
Old 03-07-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Since this seems to be a problem for launch day people, could it be narrowed down to a specific store's supply?

The people that are having issues, where did you buy your 360?
Old 03-07-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I also got the extended warranty. Although I somewhat trust Microsoft and I haven't had any major issues with my 360, I distrust ALL launch hardware even more.
Old 03-07-06, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Vryce
90 day limited warrenty.
You guys are building a pretty impressive list of ways to misspell "Warranty"
Old 03-07-06, 07:26 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by kakihara1
You guys are building a pretty impressive list of ways to misspell "Warranty"
STFU spelling nazi.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The people that are having issues, where did you buy your 360?
I bought my 360 on launch day at Wal-Mart. It was the only store that had a significant amount and was letting everyone wait in line inside. It was a cold November 22.
Old 03-07-06, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Vryce
STFU spelling nazi.

I bought my 360 on launch day at Wal-Mart. It was the only store that had a significant amount and was letting everyone wait in line inside. It was a cold November 22.
lol you know I'm just messing with you Canis.

My Treesitty came from K-mart on the 18th of December and it displays basically the same behavior that Canis' did, I don't know if the freezing is a warning sign or if the game causes it or live or a combination of the three.

Here is a question, do you guys who have DOA4 notice a hiccup in the intro video for Team Ninja? Just as the camera comes up from the water mine with pause for a moment and then continue. It's odd.
Old 03-07-06, 07:36 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I knew you were messing with me, that's why I had the

I'd watch the freezing and watch your system. It could be a sign of impending doom. MS shall rain doom upon your head.

I usually am not watching the into video for DOA4 as I'm trying to skip past it to get into the game.
Old 03-07-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Already? Ouch. If you got it at launch wouldn't it be past the factory warranty? Though, my experience with Microsoft customer service on the first Xbox was choice.. never had any hardware issues but I had some problems getting Live to work with my router and the two people that helped me out were fantastic (a rarity for customer service).
Old 03-07-06, 07:41 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Yes, if you bought on launch, you are about 10 days or so past on the warranty. When I called, it was 4 or 5 days past. The guy didn't give me an issue, probably because its a known failure and I've read lots of reports of people having the same issue. There is even the MS knowledge base page posted above about it.
Old 03-07-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's good to hear they're taking care of it then. I had two seperate friends whose PS2s had died and Sony hooked them up WAY past the warranty period (we're talking two years past, at least).. but I think it was similar in that it was a common issue for the early units.
Old 03-07-06, 07:47 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

It's nice when they take care of the customer.

My PS2 had the dvd drive issue where it stopped playing movies and had problems on most games.
I called Sony and they had me ship it to them and they fixed it free of charge. It was also about 2 years after I bought it. It was a known issue to them, and that is why I think they fixed it. But I was happy to have had it fixed for free.
Old 03-07-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Microsoft hooked me up over a month past the warranty on my original Xbox. They have pretty good customer service from my experience. Sucks to have your console break though.
Old 03-07-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, , if my PS2 dies I'll be buying another.. I've been inside of it too many times.
Old 03-07-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

one of mine just died after installing the update. The one that broke was the one purchased on launch day. on xbox.xom and gamefaqs you can find a ton of people who had the same thing--Installed the mandatory update and then the 3 red rings within the next day. I also never had a single problem with it before installing the update.

called MSFT and they said they extended everyone's warranty to 150 days because of the problems with the first run machines. They sent me a box to overnight it to them for free, so hopefully I get my new one soon.
Old 03-07-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Ah, , if my PS2 dies I'll be buying another.. I've been inside of it too many times.
That's sounds a little gross.
Old 03-07-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. My 360 machine just went dead and gave me the RoL and I'm having to send it in to get it fixed. Had the thing since they went on sell and used it as my DVD player too.

Even though I'm disappointed that the thing didn't last longer, at least the customer service was very responsive and is sending me a prepaid shipping lable to have it worked on somewhere. Now to see how long it takes them to actually fix it and return it. Can anyone else tell me how long it takes MS to fix and return the unit?
I called last Monday to report my dead 360, had the box delivered Wednesday and sent it out Wednesday. They tried to deliver my unit back to me today but alas I wasn't home so I'll go get it tomorrow on my way home from work.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.