Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Super Bowl XL DVD:No Condenced World Broadcast-What Gives?!?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought the Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL DVD. The last three years they have had the whole Super Bowl game in a condenced version (no huddles) as an extra on the Super Bowl Championship DVD (Super Bowl XXXVII used the local radio announcers while Super Bowls XXXVIII and XXXIX used the world broadcast feed called by Dick Stockton and "Moose" Johnston). Amazon indicated that it would be on the disc. When I went to buy it at Best Buy, I saw it wasnt listed as an extra on the disc but assumed (hoped) that this was just an omission and it was on the disc. Well, it wasn't, and I felt I wasted 20 bucks to find that out (I'll watch the disc anyways, but, being a sports completest, I would be much happier with the whole game on there).

Two questions to the peanut gallery-does anyone know why NFL Films chose to leave the game off this years addition when sales of the SB Champions DVD have been very high the last few seasons (could it be they are that self conscious of the bad officiating)? And is anyone else as bothered by this as I am?
Old 03-07-06, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been watching football for 35 years and have been trying to kick the habit for the last few -- for various reasons I won't go into here. SB XL is the game that convinced me to give it up for good. Terrible play (on both sides), ridiculous officiating, two weeks of manufactured hype about nothing, abominable pre-game and halftime entertainment, etc.

I'm not trying to detract from the Steelers' accomplishments, but even if I were a die-hard Pitt fan I would never want to see that game again...the three previous playoff games, however, go in the archive. Perhaps NFL Films just judged the quality of the game and decided to focus on the Steelers' miraculous run up to the Super Bowl instead.