Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo DS Lite

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nintendo DS Lite

Prototype info here

Didn't see any info posted -- I've been hesitant to pick a DS up but if/when this comes to the states, I'll pick one up ASAP.
Old 03-06-06, 03:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

It's in the 1/Only but I don't see a problem with having its own thread.

Thinking about selling my DS but not sure.
Old 03-06-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I hope I get mine. Pre-Ordered the Enamel navy color through Play-Asia.com and haven't heard anything from them about price change, order delay...nothing. I guess I'll wait until the 11th and hope for the best.
Old 03-06-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
It's interesting to me that the Japanese will camp out and sell out a redesigned DS, but Xbox 360s languished on the shelves.

That said, I might rebuy a DS Lite (sold my old one right after it came out), especially if they release a web browser for it.
Old 03-06-06, 04:48 PM

They look awesome, with my only complaint being the glossy finish. I would prefer a frosted-non-finger-printing finish.
Old 03-06-06, 04:51 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I just bought a regular DS, two days ago, but I've yet to open it. I got a good deal on it, so I believe I'm just going to keep it. I don't have a problem with its size. The only real changes that are evident in the DS Lite are its size, a brighter screen (for better visibility?) and an actual power switch, or something.
Old 03-06-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
They look awesome, with my only complaint being the glossy finish. I would prefer a frosted-non-finger-printing finish.
Amen x 1,000,000!
Old 03-06-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
It's interesting to me that the Japanese will camp out and sell out a redesigned DS, but Xbox 360s languished on the shelves.
Well, you release a second version of a console that had nothing but sports, car and gun games with nothing but sports, car and gun games to a market that does not play sports, car and gun games, you sit on the shelf. The only interesting thing about it in my opinion is that Microsoft actually acknowledged where they went wrong in Japan for round one and vowed not to make the mistake twice. Oops. It's probably safe to say that in two or three years when the next Xbox is released there won't be a Japanese launch at all.

For comparison:

DS Lite Launch:

Xbox 360 Launch:

That said, I might rebuy a DS Lite (sold my old one right after it came out), especially if they release a web browser for it.
There will be (in Japan at least) but after seeing how bad sites looked on the PSP and the DS having HALF the horizontal resolution of the PSP, I'd find it very hard to be enjoyable for browsing.. though the touch-screen would be choice compared to the PSP for typing and scrolling.
Old 03-06-06, 05:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It looks like some slight improvements were made to the d-pad and buttons as well.

I can deal with the glossy finish -- that screen looks awesome!
Old 03-06-06, 05:25 PM

As pixy pointed out, its shouldn't be surprising the 360 failed in Japan because it launched with nothing that appealed to the japanese gamers, but that's for another thread.

As for DS Lite, I'm buying this day one. The video someone posted in the other thread about the screen comparison has me sold, not to mention they also addressed the only minor gripes I had, which were it was too big, and the form factor should fold more like the SP. I can't see getting by without my DS, its the only console I play regularly every single day, the fact that the animal crossing thread has stayed bumped on top for several months now is proof I'm not the only one , so I know I'll be getting good use out of this.
Old 03-06-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
There will be (in Japan at least) but after seeing how bad sites looked on the PSP and the DS having HALF the horizontal resolution of the PSP, I'd find it very hard to be enjoyable for browsing.. though the touch-screen would be choice compared to the PSP for typing and scrolling.
Haven't done any web browsing on the PSP for comparison, but since the Opera browser on the DS will utilize both screens - one for an overall, low-rez view of the page and the other a zoomed-in, (assumedly) real-rez view, I don't see it being that big of a deal.

Granted, I can't imagine using it for more than web-based email or browsing forums, blogs, and other text-based news sites. And even then, unless you're out of the house, very minimally. If I'm in the house and I just can't get to my wired PC, the laptop is never that far away that I can't get on the Wifi with it. DS browser will be a novelty, at best.
Old 03-06-06, 10:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3qVN...=nintendo%20ds
Old 03-06-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am interested in picking up the new DS lite, would love to pick it up through some sort of good trade in deal. Also, what colors are going to be available in the US?
Old 03-07-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Oh, I understand where Microsoft went wrong (again) in Japan - I just think it's that a redesign to a popular system can generate SO much more interest than a brand new system.

When I owned a PSP, I did some web browsing. It wasn't too bad, especially once you'd already typed in the bookmarks. They had some nice features with that browser too (for example, the button that filled in "http://" with one click) - I wish my Pocket PC had that.

I'm very interested in checking out a DS Lite first hand. It looks like a sexy wee bastard.
Old 03-07-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
I have to agree that I am somewhat surprised by the response for the DS lite. Granted there has been a shortage in Japan for the DS but it is still a redesign. And I knew that it would be a runaway success. However, there are DSes floating around and presumably anyone that really wanted one already had one. And the improvements to the redesign really are not all that significant.

Anyone know what the response for the GBA SP was in Japan? It wasn't that big of a deal over here as I recall but to me that was probably the most significant redesign in the GB history. Significant in terms of the redesign being that much better than the original.
Old 03-07-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hasn't the DS been sold out in Japan for a couple months now? I don't think the crowds are "just" for a re-design.
Old 03-07-06, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the DS is freaking awesome, i'll get a newer one when they come to the states, i'm also excited about the web browser and the tv tuner. yeah its too bad microsoft was so damn dumb with the launch over there while people here are still waiting to get their 360s, they're half price in japan.
Old 03-07-06, 06:37 AM

I want an Ice Blue one, have I mentioned that before? The DS is so badass I can't wait to get my hands on one of these.
Old 03-07-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh.. I might just go against the grain and get white. They're obviously going for an Apple look so I might as well fall for it. Even if they did release a black one I think I'd be jealous that it didn't look as cool as the graphite SP and DS I currently have.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned in either DS thread is that the stylus is bigger in both length and girth (I've been getting emails about similar improvements myself). On one hand, this is a great improvement.. on the other.. it makes my sexy pink stylus obsolete.

About the browser.. I don't know, I think it's something that's probably being made for the Japanese market. I've never been on the go and had a desire to surf the web so I'm just not feeling where it's use would be (I'd rather be playing games). I guess if I got heavy into playing on eBay again for my NES collection I could carry it around to assist in sniping, but.. how lame would that be? Out with your friends and all of a sudden "Oh shit guys hold on, this copy of Mighty Final Fight is about to end!"
Old 03-07-06, 08:00 AM

I guess if I got heavy into playing on eBay again for my NES collection I could carry it around to assist in sniping, but.. how lame would that be? Out with your friends and all of a sudden "Oh shit guys hold on, this copy of Mighty Final Fight is about to end!"
you mean your friends still don't know your a complete nerd??
Old 03-07-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've looked at some of the comparisons online and the DS Lite is an absolute home run. The GBA sticking out a bit is the only downside and its a very minor one. The Lite kills the original design in every other area. I won't be able to fight the urge to get one, but I'm waiting for the US release. I don't have interesting in paying $30 for a web browser though and the TV tuner doesn't sould like something that could ever come stateside. If they do black in the US I will get one, but if not I would also go with white.
Old 03-07-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kakihara1
you mean your friends still don't know your a complete nerd??
Didn't you just reprimand a couple of people for spelling?

I assure you, all my friends know I'm big dork.. but I like to keep it in check. I ninjitsu my shit.. someone will ask me "How was Dragon Quest VIII?" and I'll say "Oh yeah, it was good.. Best RPG I've played since the SNES days." while in my mind I'm wanting to say "OHMIGAWD it's so hot, Akira Toriyama's art is awesome and Koichi Sugiyama's score is beautiful, the gameplay is the greatest thing since cheesecake and there are slimes everywhere and I want to take a slime home and name it Beer and I want to suckle on Jessica's melons and she's hot as hell in her school uniform and pigtails oh yes.."
Old 03-07-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkside
I've looked at some of the comparisons online and the DS Lite is an absolute home run. The GBA sticking out a bit is the only downside and its a very minor one. The Lite kills the original design in every other area. I won't be able to fight the urge to get one, but I'm waiting for the US release. I don't have interesting in paying $30 for a web browser though and the TV tuner doesn't sould like something that could ever come stateside. If they do black in the US I will get one, but if not I would also go with white.
Why would web browsing cost $30? What type of add-on do you need to buy?
Old 03-07-06, 01:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

Didn't you just reprimand a couple of people for spelling?
bukakkehara spelt something wrong? That's unppoosibble!
Old 03-07-06, 01:41 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

See.. That's what makes the Video Game forum so fun.. The mod take jabs at people as well.

I might get a DS Lite. Not sure. Have one unit now that gets a fair bit of use. But with my 360, it doesn't get tons of play. Though, if I could sell it off to just about pay for a Lite model. Hmmm.. that would be worth it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.