Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Oscars = "DVDs are evil"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oscars = DVDs are evil?

DVDs got a real bashing at the Oscars by Hollywood's elite. DVDs offer films (and thus the infrastructure) a new life, and in a lot of cases the only life it has (straight to DVD films). I understand the movie-going experience at a theater but that has its negatives as well, at least to us as the audience. I just don't get the need for them to be intent on throwing them under the bus at the same time as capitalizing on their well established popularity. Of course, I'm probably preaching to the choir here! Also, I thought it deserved a discussion on the DVD page since it has to do about DVDs and the impact on them. Will this stance by Hollywood have a negative impact?

Last edited by Sernov; 03-05-06 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 10:12 PM

i'm watching the oscars and didn't notice anything specifically anti-dvd. there were a few anti-piracy things. why dont you give some examples
Old 03-05-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by wennma01
i'm watching the oscars and didn't notice anything specifically anti-dvd. there were a few anti-piracy things. why dont you give some examples
He's definitely right. The MPAA prez said himself that movies are to be seen on a giant screen with sound coming from all around.
Old 03-05-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have only seen about half the show, but noticed the same sentiment. I know DVDs have given me a much larger appreciation for film. Maybe I don't go to theater that often (its like I went a ton in the past either), but I sure as hell buy a ton more movies.
Old 03-05-06, 10:30 PM

They're basically trying to get more people into theaters in a last ditch effort to save them. Well if they keep turning out dreck for movies and the theater going experience doesn't improve greatly, it's a dead market.
Old 03-05-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Then, they should address the cost of theatrical ticket than blaming DVD.
Old 03-05-06, 10:37 PM

For those like myself who didn't watch the Oscars tonight, it would help to have a clue what you are talking about.

As for the theater "experience," here's a couple things they can do to make it more enticing - get rid of the half dozen or so TV commercials, and put ushers back in the theater to shut up or throw out people who insist on talking throughout the movie.
Old 03-05-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sernov
DVDs got a real bashing at the Oscars by Hollywood's elite.
They sure did. If the public quit buying them for a couple months the bastards would change their tune. DVD is the only thing keeping them afloat. A classic case of biting the hand that feeds you.
Old 03-05-06, 10:45 PM
Banned

As someone who saw all 3 Indiana Jones movies in the theater this weekend, I completely understood what they were saying. Movies are meant to be in a theater. No DVD, Blu-ray or holographic disc will ever be able to replace that.
Old 03-05-06, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
For those like myself who didn't watch the Oscars tonight, it would help to have a clue what you are talking about.
There are two instances for sure as mentioned earlier, which the MPAA president came out and said something along the lines that movies are an experience to be seen at a theater on the big screen (not verbatim, maybe someone can get a quote off their recording?) and Jake Gyllenhaal "read" something about "can you imagine watching the classic epics on a portable DVD" (again, not verbatim).

Last edited by Sernov; 03-05-06 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember him quoting something along the lines of "No director has ever shot a movie thinking this will look great on dvd." Then he goes on to talk about how much better the cinema experience is, with sound coming from all around, etc.
Old 03-05-06, 10:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
As someone who saw all 3 Indiana Jones movies in the theater this weekend, I completely understood what they were saying. Movies are meant to be in a theater. No DVD, Blu-ray or holographic disc will ever be able to replace that.
why not do both? that is mostly what i do. watch in theater and then later on DVD. it's a win win!
Old 03-05-06, 10:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
I remember him quoting something along the lines of "No director has ever shot a movie thinking this will look great on dvd." Then he goes on to talk about how much better the cinema experience is, with sound coming from all around, etc.
yes, but they do shoot very much with DVD in mind. think Peter Jackson and his "Production Diaries", countless other Directors shooting scenes, extras specifically for the DVD market. it can't be hurting too much when one who supports DVD so highly gets a Best Director Oscar!
Old 03-05-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wennma01
The President basically said in his speech that you can't get the effect of movies from a DVD, bot can from seeing it in a theater. That's pretty anti-DVD to me. "No director shot a film saying "This would look great on DVD". DVDs are a way of bringing the GREATNESS of a theater-presented film to the home - not as a replacement/substitute.

That message was littered throughout the entire show.
Old 03-05-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are some movies that just can't hold the same magic when transferred from the silver screen to your TV. I understood where he was coming from, but with ticket prices and the quality of the average movie, why not wait until it comes out on DVD? Not all movies loss something on the transfer.

Seeing all the montages made me realize how much more I'd go to the theater if the ones around here played some of those films here and there.
Old 03-05-06, 10:54 PM

Totally.

Dear Academy,

Do you want me to go to the movies? Make better movies. Lower the price of everything. Soundproof the walls. Put the projector bulb at full brightness. Give me seats with a decent sightline.

Do you really want me to go to the movies? Serve real drinks. Serve real food. Put me in a real theater with reclining/rocking seats angled toward the screen and a screen at or below my eyeline.

And undoubtedly, most importantly, GO 70MM!!

Last edited by slothroplt; 03-05-06 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
yes, but they do shoot very much with DVD in mind. think Peter Jackson and his "Production Diaries", countless other Directors shooting scenes, extras specifically for the DVD market. it can't be hurting too much when one who supports DVD so highly gets a Best Director Oscar!
Good point, there happen to be alot of "DVD-friendly" directors out there, just to name a few off the top of my head...

Peter Jackson
Kevin Smith
David Fincher
Tarantino

Would be interesting to know their "take" on this.
Old 03-05-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
We've had this discussion before. People have their preferences. Nothing's going to change drastically.
Old 03-05-06, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
He's definitely right. The MPAA prez said himself that movies are to be seen on a giant screen with sound coming from all around.
We are currently expericing these same elements right at home.
I think this statement is an attempt to revitalized the overall movie going attendance, since DVDs are gradually decimating the theater business. When HD-DVDs debut on the market, the odds are going to be even greater.
Old 03-05-06, 11:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well if Hollywood actually made some good movies I'd go... but until then.
Old 03-05-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Jake Gyllenhaal "read" something about "can you imagine watching the classic epics on a portable DVD" (again, not verbatim).
That's funny, because with the pitifully small screens at most recently-built theaters, I've thought "Can you imagine watching the classic epics on THESE screens??"
Old 03-05-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
BTW Jake was Oscar-robbed from his performance in "Bubble Boy".
Old 03-05-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still believe in going to the theatre to see a movie, the whole theatrical experince is still amazing. But atleast dvds capture the quality for the next best experince.
Old 03-05-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
That sound being screaming infants, cellphones and beepers....

Originally Posted by slothroplt
Totally.

Dear Academy,

Do you want me to go to the movies? Make better movies. Lower the price of everything. Soundproof the walls. Put the projector bulb at full brightness. Give me seats with a decent sightline.

Do you really want me to go to the movies? Serve real drinks. Serve real food. Put me in a real theater with reclining/rocking seats angled toward the screen and a screen at or below my eyeline.

And undoubtedly, most importantly, GO 70MM!!
I'd settle for never letting Reese Witherspoon star in another film again...
Old 03-05-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Movies are meant to be in a theater. No DVD, Blu-ray or holographic disc will ever be able to replace that.
Yes, that is the truth. Except the price of movie tickets is the main reason why alot of people aren't going to the movies anymore or only a few times a year. If Hollywood wants to bitchslap DVD maybe they need to do something to lower the ticket prices to their cineplexes. The ticket prices are bad enough, but the price of popcorn, candy and drinks when you go is simply outrageous. I am sure nothing I have said here is a surprise to anybody.

If ticket prices were lower, more people would go to see movies, instead of paying for the dvd which would pretty much cover the cost of admission were it at the theater.

I think largely, the box office struggled in 2005 due to high gas prices, nothing else.

But the price of admission to a movie for an adult should be $3 bucks anywhere.

Movies were made to be seen on the big screen, but for most people the small screen is now more accessible and economical.

Besides, most movies in 2005 stunk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.