Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New SLAYER album & tour news!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slayer Begin Recording Devastatingly Grim

By Newsferatu, Writer
Friday, March 3, 2006 @ 1:57 PM

Planning to Launch Tour on 6-06-06

- advertisement -

Chris Harris at MTV.com has filed this report:

For Slayer guitarist Kerry King, June 6th holds considerably more weight this year, a year that marks the 20th anniversary of the release of the band's trailblazing speed-metal album, Reign In Blood. With his penchant for satanic lyrical imagery, King pinpointed June 6th — 6/6/06 — as the ideal release date for Slayer's forthcoming album, the follow-up to 2001's God Hates Us All. But months of record label holdups have placed King's lofty goal in peril.

Of course, Slayer are not about to let June 6th come and go without some sort of acknowledgement on their end. Oh no — instead of releasing a record, they plan to launch a two-month U.S. tour with MASTODON, LAMB OF GOD, CHILDREN OF BODOM and THINE EYES BLEED.
Dubbed the Unholy Alliance Tour, the trek will make stops in most major cities, although the actual routing of the run is still being fleshed out. Either way King's anxious to hit the road again.

"It's been 18 months since we've toured in the States," he explained. "People are going to be chomping at the bit to see us again. Our initial thought [with Unholy Alliance] was to go up against Ozzfest, because I think that tour's getting a little bit tired and I think people are tired of going out and getting sunburned for hours every summer. Every place we play is going to be indoors, with a good-sized lineup. We're certainly not going to try to make Ozzfest go away. We're just trying to offer an alternative."

According to Rick Sales, Slayer's manager of 18 years, the idea's to make the Unholy Alliance Tour an annual event "with the best bands out there." During the fall of 2004, Slayer, SLIPKNOT, Mastodon and HATEBREED toured Europe under the Unholy Alliance tag. Sales also wants to take the tour global and said following its U.S. run, the Alliance will return to Europe, followed by stints in Japan and Australia — although, he noted the lineups would be different on each leg.

"I think we're in a different spot than Ozzfest," Sales continued. "This is more extreme and it's not involving any sort of 'radio bands.' It's a no-compromise lineup, the best of the breed. We think this is a great live event and that the tour will become bigger than the lineup. I think Ozzfest has proven that."

Slayer, who Sales said declined an Ozzfest 2006 invite, will deliver an hour-plus set to close out each night of the Unholy Alliance; Thine Eyes Bleed will open on all dates, followed by Bodom and Mastodon (who'll be rotating slots) and then Lamb of God. King said Slayer will debut some new material from the stage.

On Tuesday Slayer entered a Los Angeles studio, where they started recording the 11 songs that'll comprise their yet-untitled album. Rick Rubin (Jay-Z, Red Hot Chili Peppers) will executive-produce the disc, while Josh Abraham (Velvet Revolver, Staind) will turn the knobs. One of the songs has an official title ('Cult'), but all of them, King promised, will be devastatingly grim.

"There are definitely things you can't write about in Slayer, and there are definitely things people expect you to write about," he said. "Everybody expects war, Satanism or anti-religious stuff — and this record's chock-full of that."

The LP, which the band hopes to finish in time for a late June release, will be the first to feature original drummer Dave Lombardo in more than 15 years. Their last outing together was 1990's Seasons In The Abyss.

"[Drummer] Paul [Bostaph], who we did God Hates Us All with, kind of had an elbow problem, and now he's with Exodus," King said. "When Paul left us ... it was brought to our attention that Dave was available. And we figured if anybody should be doing this, it should be him."

Most of the 11 songs Slayer will record were written more than two years ago, the guitarist said. "We're hoping to do it old-school and record everything in like four weeks," he added. "We're ready. This is probably the most ready we've been since Seasons. We've been spinning our wheels in rehearsals, just waiting for the green light on this thing. Now that we've got it, we're ready to go.

"It's definitely going to be a riff-fest," King continued. "There's riffs all over the place. As much time as we've had to work on it, there better be riffs on it. I think anybody who likes Slayer, musically, is going to love it."

While Sales said Slayer's studio LP probably won't be in stores by June 6th, he says the band will release a digital download, EP or something else to coincide with the tour launch.

On Saturday, MTV2's Headbangers Ball will feature an exclusive interview with bassist Tom Araya regarding the forthcoming album and the Unholy Alliance run.

If there is a god, he's the biggest slayer fan of us all.
Old 03-04-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Great news!!!
Old 03-04-06, 05:53 PM
Banned

Hell YES! They better have some Tejas dates!
Old 03-04-06, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope for a show in KC. Best summer tour yet!!!
Old 03-05-06, 09:53 AM

slayer.net now has a link to see photos from the studio.
Old 03-05-06, 11:42 AM

Is anything after seasons in the abyss worth checking out? Thats the last slayer cd i bought.
Old 03-05-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought "God Hates Us All" was pretty brilliant!

And the covers CD was great too.
Old 03-05-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by chaz k
Is anything after seasons in the abyss worth checking out? Thats the last slayer cd i bought.
Not really.

Maybe "Undisputed Attitude," their cover of old punk songs, but the studio albums have been sub-par since "Abyss" came out.
Old 03-05-06, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by chaz k
God Hates Us All is excellent, the track "disciple" is pure Slayer goodness.

Divine Intervention & Diabolus in Musica both have a couple of really good tracks, but the rest on them is pretty much filler.
Old 03-06-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by woofman
God Hates Us All is excellent, the track "disciple" is pure Slayer goodness.
I agree woofman. That's the Slayer cd I listen to the most. Hell, the intro to that cd alone makes it worth listening too and that intro sounds AWESOME in concert.
Old 03-06-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I always thought "God Hates Us All" was just Slayer jumping on the nu-metal bandwagon. Never liked it at all. They've been coasting since "Seasons". I would like to think that Lombardo coming back shook things up a bit but I'm not too optimistic.
Old 03-06-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Well, it seems like metal bands... especially thrash metal bands... have a really short creative lifespan. They'll put out the "raw" first album (Phase I), a couple of really strong albums (Phase II), then they'll slip into the traps of over-production and heavier-louder-faster when they've moved beyond that (Phase III).

Slayer: I: Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits II: Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss III: Divine Intervention, Diabolicus...

Anthrax I: Fistful of Metal, II: Spreading the Disease, Among the Living, III: State of Euphoria...

Metallica: I: Kill'em All, II: Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All III: Black album

Megadeth: I: Killing is My Business, II: Peace Sells But Who's Buying, So Far So Good So What, Rust in Peace, III: Countdown to Extinction, Youthenesia...

Testament: I: The Legacy, II: The New Order, Practice What You Preach, III: Souls of Black, The Ritual...
Old 03-06-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

God Hates Us All is kick-ass... Nu-Metal? Like Korn and that other shit that's on the radio? Um... WTF?

Undisputed Attitude is also a worthy purchase. Diabolus and Divine Intervention have their moments but are not solid from start to finish.

for some news finally...
Old 03-07-06, 01:22 AM

More dates

Jun. 06 - Sports Arena - San Diego, CA
Jun. 07 - The Orleans - Las Vegas, NV
Jun. 12 - Pop's Outside - St. Louis, MO
Jun. 13 - Aragon Ballroom - Chicago, IL
Jun. 15 - Tweeter Center - Camden, NJ
Jun. 16 - Continental Airlines Arena - E. Rutherford, NJ
Jun. 17 - Tsongas Arena - Lowell, MA
Jun. 23 - Freeman Coliseum - San Antonio, TX
Jun. 25 - Reliant Arena - Houston, TX
Jun. 29 - Tower City Amphitheatre - Cleveland, OH
Jul. 06 - Cobo Arena - Detroit, MI
Jul. 07 - Eagles Auditorium - Milwaukee, WI
Jul. 14 - Qwest Field Event Center - Seattle, WA
Jul. 16 - Salem Armory - Salem, OR
Jul. 19 - HP Pavilion - San Jose, CA
Jul. 21 - Mesa Amphitheatre - Mesa, AZ
Jul. 22 - Long Beach Arena - Long Beach, CA
Old 03-07-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last 2 times they played San Diego, they played 1,500 (max) seaters. With an album no one's heard yet, they're going to play a 10,000 seater?!??!? WTF!?!?
Old 03-09-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wtf, 2 fuckin east coast dates. who i would have to kill to see, lamb of god, mastadon (the drummer is not human) and children of bodom, non the less slayer in one building.
Old 03-10-06, 01:00 PM

No kidding, it's all I can do not to buy presale tickets for Cleveland, but I'm waiting to see if one of the additional dates is in Columbus. I hope they announce the remaining dates soon.
Old 06-05-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Is this coming out tomorrow? I saw no mention in any of the ads this weekend. I will be rebuying (never got around to it) Reign in Blood tomorrow just to pay homage to them on their day.
Old 06-06-06, 01:22 PM

No, the full CD now comes out on July 25th, but Slayer did release an EP called "Eternal Pyre" today with a new track "Cult" on it and a live video of War Ensemble as well as footage from the studio.

Old 06-06-06, 01:26 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Totally off-topic, but do you drive a Nissan Murano?
Old 06-06-06, 05:44 PM
Banned

Just bought the $5.99 1-song/2-vids CD at Hot Topic (I hear it's exclusive to them).
Old 06-07-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan

Me? No.
Old 06-07-06, 10:10 AM

I don't either, why do you ax.
Old 06-07-06, 10:21 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by woofman
I don't either, why do you ax.
Several times in the past few months while driving around the east side I've seen a black Murano with a rainbow decal and a license plate that has 'WOOF' in it somewhere. I thought it might have been you.
Old 06-07-06, 01:21 PM

Several times in the past few months while driving around the east side I've seen a black Murano with a rainbow decal and a license plate that has 'WOOF' in it somewhere. I thought it might have been you.

Good deductive reasoning but no match I think that car might actually belong to a friend of a friend though. You were only 2 degrees off!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.