Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Howard The Duck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howard The Duck?

I remember watching this as a kid and was curious if this was every released on DVD or if anyone has heard anything about it ever being released on DVD?
Old 03-02-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Despite its "cult" status, I was under the impression that most of the people behind this movie would like to forget it.
Old 03-02-06, 10:45 AM

my recommendation is just remember it as a kid. i LOVED this movie when i was little. went back recently and watched it and, well, lets just say i was disappointed by how AWFUL it is.

pixy is right though, most people that had anything to do with it don't want to remember it. infact, searching on DDD for "howard the duck" only brings up the worst movies ever dvd. funny....
Old 03-02-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cisman
I remember watching this as a kid and was curious if this was every released on DVD or if anyone has heard anything about it ever being released on DVD?
I would love to have this on dvd it's on my short list (4 left) of wanted dvd's, along with Harry and the hendersons, Pirates and Rover dangerfield...
Old 03-02-06, 10:55 AM

Harry and the Hendersons man!!!
Old 03-02-06, 11:04 AM

ah yes harry and the hendersons - another good one.

i see copies of HtD floating around on ebay. i'm sure the quality is crap as there was never an official dvd release, but it might be all you ever get. i really do hope they release it though. i think it would sell well just because people remember it from their childhood.

and johnbook - how do i put this gently... ann arbor is a whore? just kidding (kind of)

ILL! INI!!

just wish we had a football team so we could play you...
Old 03-02-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Universal should have released this years ago on dvd, like back in 1998 or so. It would be in the dump bin at Walmart now or as rare as Fletch is. This may not be a fine piece of cinema, but it's an ok little silly fluffy film that deserves a spot on dvd. Wether people want to remember it or not.
Old 03-02-06, 02:22 PM

Howard the Duck is absolutely my oldest, darkest, and guiltiest of guilty pleasures!! I watched it every time it came on tv as a kid, and my parents outright hated me for it! But it, along with the aformentioned Harry and the Hendersons, were probably more of a part of my childhood than even Star Wars (they frequented cable far more often)! I'd love for just a barebones release of either of these films with a decent transfer. I mean, come on, the over the top performance from Jeffrey Jones should be enough earn its release, yet Howard must rank as the only film in history containing a topless anthropomorphic duck!! That's kudos enough for a release, I think, no matter what George Lucas thinks! Too bad he pulls the strings...
Old 03-02-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched Howard the Duck for a week straight when I was little. I blame it for the way I turned out. Just kidding. I'd be in for a copy if they every release it.
Old 03-02-06, 04:50 PM
Cool New Member

Maybe Lucas will release a directors cut of it.
Old 03-02-06, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rgray_69
Maybe Lucas will release a directors cut of it.
And digitally add in Hayden Christensen to replace Howard!
Old 03-02-06, 05:36 PM

Wow, you've just thought of a way to make it even worse than it was.
Old 03-02-06, 10:23 PM

Oh, this movie is so bad (I even knew that way back when), but I'd still watch it. Maybe it has something to do with Lea Thompson. Yeah, it has to be that.
Old 03-03-06, 12:04 AM

I believe Lucas wants to do what Spielburg did with E.T. and replace Howard with a CGI version.
Old 03-03-06, 12:41 AM

ILL INI indeed. I can't believe this thread exists. I was just talking with someone in the office 2 minutes ago about how Lucas changed a shot at the beginning of American Graffiti and my coworker said yeah, wonder what he'll do with Howard the Duck. It's still a catalog title, so there has to be room for it to be released sometime.
Old 03-03-06, 01:14 AM

I vaguely remember seeing this as a kid. Didn't the duck have a romantic relationship with the human woman in this film or something? I remember being really disturbed by it as a kid.
Old 03-03-06, 02:23 AM

I love Howard the Duck and it's at the top of my list of missing DVD's that have not been released.
Old 03-03-06, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
I'd definately pick this up if it came out.
Old 03-03-06, 06:52 AM

I have it on very good authority that Howard the Duck will be a Blu-ray exclusive. Lucas just doesn't think that SD-DVD provides enough resolution to properly render Howard's unique feather structure.
Old 03-03-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still have my VHS, and I have considered the LD but it sells for so damn much and is so damn hard to find I have yet to pull the trigger. Maybe someday.
Old 03-03-06, 11:21 AM

i still think it will be something like the goonies. i was still in college when that came out on DVD, and i couldn't find it ANYWHERE for like 2 months afterwords (in that town). i think it would sell well simply because its a movie that brings back warm feelings from childhood. who knows though....

maybe we'd get some updated graphics thanks to lucas. someone else would probably shoot first though (i just remember him driving a golf cart with a big laser thing - have no idea who shot first though)
Old 03-03-06, 03:19 PM

Glad to see the Duck has some backing Maybe someone will read this and release it

I forgot all about Harry and the Hendersons! THat's another classic, I would love to see.
Old 03-04-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I just bought the VHS, so maybe that will mean a DVD is coming... Doesn't it always work that way???
Old 03-04-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by cisman
Maybe someone will read this and release it

Dear DVDTalkers,

How's it going? George here. I love reading DVDTalk. I especially love it when you guys kid around about me ruining "Star Wars". Too funny... lol!

Anywho, I completely forgot I was involved with this movie. Apparently a few people care enough to want this movie. If not for my buddies at DVDTalk, then who? I'll look into this for you guys. Maybe a couple internet petitions might seal the deal.

Well, I gotta run. Harrison wants to look at the Indy script and I "misplaced" it again. It's so fun to keep him waiting. lol!
Old 03-04-06, 05:19 PM
Banned

The only good Howard the Duck stories (IMHO) are those that appeared in Marvel Comics in the '70s.
But, that's just an opinion, LOL. Hell, I like PLENTY of "bad" movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.