Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Any fans of The Cult here?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine has been thinning out his CD collection since he recently got married and moved. He says he doesn't listen to much rock & alternative anymore so I've been "inheriting" some of his CD's. Yesterday, he called me up and said that he had thinned it out some more and said to come by when I had the chance. Went by there last night and he gave me his entire collection of The Cult! I have been a Cult fan for nearly 20 years and have always wanted some of these discs. The Cult is one of those bands with tons of material released outside the US with imports only available at a premium, which kept me from owning a lot of it. Hell, I now have it all! I knew he had some of this stuff but I had no idea he had virtually everything put out by them. Everything from Southern Death Cult to Ian Astbury's solo album and beyond! He had no idea that I was a Cult fan and was somewhat astonished that I knew of some of the rare discs. I listened to it all evening and morning, I'm so freakin' happy right now.

Just wanted to start a Cult discussion. Any other Cult Fans here?
Old 02-28-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved the album "Love" and played the hell out of it, but then lost complete interest in the direction they took after that. After all of these years I have heard a few decent songs here and there, though. Their '94 album "The Cult" seemed to be more back in a direction I enjoyed (meaning less ACDC sounding... even though I love ACDC).
Old 02-28-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
'Electric' is quite possibly the world's greatest rock album. Period.
Old 02-28-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My very first concert was Metallica's Justice for all Tour in 89. The Cult was the opening act, so they were basically the first band I ever saw live. I was just amazed by them. And as incredible as Metallica was BACK THEN, I think i enjoyed the Cult more. I went out and bought Sonic Temple soon after. It is definitly in my top 5 best cds of all time. I woke up to Edie (Ciao Baby) every morning that i was in high school.
As much i love that cd, it is odd that i never checked their other cds. I might have to purchase some of their songs on the sites i belong too.
Old 02-28-06, 11:14 AM

Huge Cult fan as well. I own the Southern Death Cult album as well as the Death Cult album. I have a few other session CDs (Manor Sessions, Love Mixes, Electric Mixes) as well as all of their full releases. I've seen them 4 times in concert and hope to see them in March when they come through town.

The Cult's albums in order of preference:
1. Love
2. Sonic Temple
3. Electric
4. Dreamtime
5. The Cult
6. Beyond Good and Evil

7. Ceremony (just a terrible album and a horrible way to follow Sonic Temple)
Old 02-28-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by paradicelost
My very first concert was Metallica's Justice for all Tour in 89. The Cult was the opening act, so they were basically the first band I ever saw live. I was just amazed by them. And as incredible as Metallica was BACK THEN, I think i enjoyed the Cult more. I went out and bought Sonic Temple soon after. It is definitly in my top 5 best cds of all time. I woke up to Edie (Ciao Baby) every morning that i was in high school.
As much i love that cd, it is odd that i never checked their other cds. I might have to purchase some of their songs on the sites i belong too.

I also saw them on this tour. I didn't give a crap about Metallica, I just wanted to see The Cult. After them, I spent the next 2 hours that Metallica played watching a girl's cleavage that was sitting down below me. Ah, good times.
Old 03-01-06, 03:03 AM

I saw them open for Metallica too! Then saw them when they headlined for Sonic Temple! They had Bonham and Tora Tora opening for them. Very cool indeed! I need to pick up Sonic Temple on CD still.
Old 03-01-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, big fan of The Cult. Think I own just about everything, including all the boxsets (domestic and import) as well as VHS and DVD stuff, too. Even got to me them on the Sonic Temple tour, too. Ian Astbury is a trip.
Old 03-01-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by freudguy
I also saw them on this tour. I didn't give a crap about Metallica, I just wanted to see The Cult. After them, I spent the next 2 hours that Metallica played watching a girl's cleavage that was sitting down below me. Ah, good times.
We saw them with Lenny Kravitz opening and spent much of their set talking about how much better Lenny was. That was our second bad live Cult show and when they announced a local date a couple of weeks ago I offered to buy tickets for my hubby's birthday and he turned them down saying they would just suck anyway. Not to be a total threadcrapper though, we really enjoy their music, just not their shows.
Old 03-01-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by beavismom
Not to be a total threadcrapper though, we really enjoy their music, just not their shows.
Then you need to go see the Doors... yippy. Oops, I meant 21st Century Doors. Or whatever they call it today.
Old 03-01-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Yes, big fan of The Cult. Think I own just about everything, including all the boxsets (domestic and import) as well as VHS and DVD stuff, too. Even got to me them on the Sonic Temple tour, too. Ian Astbury is a trip.
During the Metallica set (while taking a break from the cleavage - see above), I was able to get backstage for a few minutes with a friend of a friend who worked there. I was told not to talk to the band. I saw Ian in the hall ahead of us, who in turn saw us. He promptly told us to "Piss off". I guess if we had been women, we would have gotten a different reaction.
Old 03-05-06, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by freudguy
During the Metallica set (while taking a break from the cleavage - see above), I was able to get backstage for a few minutes with a friend of a friend who worked there. I was told not to talk to the band. I saw Ian in the hall ahead of us, who in turn saw us. He promptly told us to "Piss off". I guess if we had been women, we would have gotten a different reaction.
What a jacka$$. I really like their music, especially Electric, but when I hear things like that, it makes me hope everyone downloads the hell out of their music rather than paying for it.
Old 03-05-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw The Cult on the Electric tour and the opening band was a then little known quintet called Guns N Roses