Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How come Xbox 360 live is so slow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come Xbox 360 live is so slow?

Madden 06 on xbox 360 live is very slow. I have cable connection, but when I am playing someone it seems like I am playing on a 56k modem. When I play regular madden on the xbox 360 it plays fine. Is it slow for other people? Anyways to adjust the spped of gameplaying on xbox 360 live?
Old 02-27-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't played Madden on Live, but I would imagine it's EA's crappy servers.
Old 02-27-06, 11:12 AM
Mod Emeritus

Could be your slow upspeed.... a lot of cable companies will have huge downspeed but throttle the upspeed by quite a bit.
Old 02-27-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What is an acceptable upload speed to make sure there's no lag on my end? I know I have a cable connection with 1.5 mbps upload and 3.0 mbps d/l, is that fast enough? I have absolutely no idea about that stuff, but I know I can upgrade the upload speed for a fee if that's an issue. I know when I play Madden on 360, it always sputters and sucks. It's almost like adjusting to playing a new game, passing plays are completely different and it's almost impossible to pull off running moves.
Old 02-27-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456919
Old 02-27-06, 06:36 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bravesmg
What is an acceptable upload speed to make sure there's no lag on my end? I know I have a cable connection with 1.5 mbps upload and 3.0 mbps d/l, is that fast enough?
It is highly unlikely that you have a 1.5mbps upload. Most cable providers do not provide that much at any price. The norm these days is between 256kbps and 512kbps on the upload side. I have Comcast's "pro" package with 8mbps download, and they only offer 768kbps upload. That is on the faster side for cable offerings.

If you do actually have 1.5mbps up, consider yourself very lucky. That is PLENTY fast enough for online gaming. In fact, as long as you aren't trying to host games (as opposed to just joining games others have started), even 128kbps is fine for most (if not all) games. When you are hosting a game, the maximum number of players you will be able to host is dependent on your upload speed. With 1.5mbps up, you should be able to host 14-16 players for most games. Modern games will often attempt to measure your upload and limit the number of player slots accordingly.

Now, as far as lag goes, that doesn't have much to do with your speed/bandwidth (provided that you do have at least 128kbps up). Lag is caused by bad ping times (time it takes to send data to the remote host and get an acknowledgement) and dropped packets caused by network congestion etc. Sometimes there just isn't much you can do about it as it is highly dependent on the route data takes between you and the other players, and this is something you have no control over. However, lag can be causes/exacerbated by having poor performing networking equipment on your end such as a crappy router, cheap NIC, bad cabling, etc.
Old 02-27-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just switched from mediacom to sprint, because mediacom was caping at 256k up but more on the average during gaming it is like 112k to 220k on the up. it was so bad that DOA4 was lag city, PDz sometimes was lag city, etc you get the point. Its funny too the downspeed on the cable connection was constant 3.9 to 5.2 but the upload ewwww 200k barf. anyhow my new dsl i'm getting close to 700k up and 5.3 down. no more lag, no more uberslow xbox live on the 360.

anyway to something that will help you guys find your speed check out

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

and

http://www.testmy.net

the testmy.net is a bit more precise, but both do a damn good job of giving you a close range to what you're in. also if you're running a motorola sb cable modem you can check your signal just open up your browser and type http://192.168.100.1/signal.htm
this will give you your strength etc for the down 25 to 40 is great and for the up 38 to 45 is great. anything else and you should have your line checked.

also if you're having speed problems you can use a tracert and see where you are loosing packets etc.

go post in the tech boards and just give a link all the gamers here who know networking will come over and help i'm sure.

Last edited by BeanDip0001; 02-27-06 at 11:50 PM.