Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RIP Don Knotts

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
RIP Don Knotts

Thanks for all the great memories.

The Incredible Mr. Limpet rules!

=========================================================

Don Knotts, TV's Lovable Nerd, Dies at 81

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 25, 2006

Don Knotts, the skinny, lovable nerd who kept generations of television audiences laughing as bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show," has died. He was 81.

Knotts died Friday night of pulmonary and respiratory complications at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Beverly Hills, said Paul Ward, a spokesman for the cable network TV Land, which airs "The Andy Griffith Show," and another Knotts hit, "Three's Company."

Unspecified health problems had forced him to cancel an appearance in his native Morgantown in August 2005.

The West Virginia-born actor's half-century career included seven TV series and more than 25 films, but it was the Griffith show that brought him TV immortality and five Emmies.

The show ran from 1960-68, and was in the top 10 of the Nielsen ratings each season, including a No. 1 ranking its final year. It is one of only three series in TV history to bow out at the top: The others are "I Love Lucy" and "Seinfeld." The 249 episodes have appeared frequently in reruns and have spawned a large, active network of fan clubs.

As the bug-eyed deputy to Griffith, Knotts carried in his shirt pocket the one bullet he was allowed after shooting himself in the foot. The constant fumbling, a recurring sight gag, was typical of his self-deprecating humor.

Knotts, whose shy, soft-spoken manner was unlike his high-strung characters, once said he was most proud of the Fife character and doesn't mind being remembered that way.

His favorite episodes, he said, were "The Pickle Story," where Aunt Bea makes pickles no one can eat, and "Barney and the Choir," where no one can stop him from singing.

"I can't sing. It makes me sad that I can't sing or dance well enough to be in a musical, but I'm just not talented in that way," he lamented. "It's one of my weaknesses."

Knotts appeared on six other television shows. In 1979, Knotts replaced Norman Fell on "Three's Company," playing the would-be swinger landlord to John Ritter, Suzanne Somers and Joyce DeWitt.

Early in his TV career, he was one of the original cast members of "The Steve Allen Show," the comedy-variety show that ran from 1956-61. He was one of a group of memorable comics backing Allen that included Louis Nye, Tom Poston and Bill "Jose Jimenez" Dana.

Knotts' G-rated films were family fun, not box-office blockbusters. In most, he ends up the hero and gets the girl -- a girl who can see through his nervousness to the heart of gold.

In the part-animated 1964 film "The Incredible Mr. Limpet," Knotts played a meek clerk who turns into a fish after he is rejected by the Navy.

When it was announced in 1998 that Jim Carrey would star in a "Limpet" remake, Knotts responded: "I'm just flattered that someone of Carrey's caliber is remaking something I did. Now, if someone else did Barney Fife, THAT would be different."

In the 1967 film "The Reluctant Astronaut," co-starring Leslie Nielsen, Knotts' father enrolls his wimpy son -- operator of a Kiddieland rocket ride -- in NASA's space program. Knotts poses as a famous astronaut to the joy of his parents and hometown but is eventually exposed for what he really is, a janitor so terrified of heights he refuses to ride an airplane.

In the 1969 film "The Love God?," he was a geeky bird-watcher who is duped into becoming publisher of a naughty men's magazine and then becomes a national sex symbol. Eventually, he comes to his senses, leaves the big city and marries the sweet girl next door.

He was among an army of comedians from Buster Keaton to Jonathan Winters to liven up the 1963 megacomedy "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." Other films include "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" (1966); "The Shakiest Gun in the West," (1968); and a few Disney films such as "The Apple Dumpling Gang," (1974); "Gus," (1976); and "Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo," (1977).

In 1998, he had a key role in the back-to-the-past movie "Pleasantville," playing a folksy television repairman whose supercharged remote control sends a teen boy and his sister into a TV sitcom past.

Knotts began his show biz career even before he graduated from high school, performing as a ventriloquist at local clubs and churches. He majored in speech at West Virginia University, then took off for the big city.

"I went to New York cold. On a $100 bill. Bummed a ride," he recalled in a visit to his hometown of Morgantown, where city officials renamed a street for him in 1998.

Within six months, Knotts had taken a job on a radio Western called "Bobby Benson and the B-Bar-B Riders," playing a wisecracking, know-it-all handyman. He stayed with it for five years, then came his series TV debut on "The Steve Allen Show."

He married Kay Metz in 1948, the year he graduated from college. The couple had two children before divorcing in 1969. Knotts later married, then divorced Lara Lee Szuchna.

In recent years, he said he had no plans to retire, traveling with theater productions and appearing in print and TV ads for Kodiak pressure treated wood.

The world laughed at Knotts, but it also laughed with him.

He treasured his comedic roles and could point to only one role that wasn't funny, a brief stint on the daytime drama "Search for Tomorrow."

"That's the only serious thing I've done. I don't miss that," Knotts said.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 02-25-06 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-25-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have to watch "Private Eyes" tonite in memory of a great actor.
Old 02-25-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

RIP Barney.
Old 02-25-06, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barney Fife is without a doubt one of the funniest characters ever..

R.I.P.
Old 02-25-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you very much Mr. Knotts! You will be dearly missed
Old 02-25-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
One of the reasons why Knotts was fairly well-known for his movie work was the fact the movies he did were frequently played on TV during the 1970's and 1980's.

Gawd, he will be missed.
Old 02-25-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don, R.I.P.
Old 02-25-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am devestated...I was just recounting Don Knotts with a friend last night.

i truly can't believe it.
Old 02-26-06, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

R.I.P. Don.

A true original.
Old 02-26-06, 06:06 AM

RIP Mr Knotts
Old 02-26-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Saw this and was bummed out. RIP Mr. Knotts.
Old 02-26-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First, Don Knotts, and now, Darren McGavin (Night Stalker, and the dad on A Christmas Story)... not a good week in Hollywood.

Does anyone know if there will be a boxed set of Don Knotts' movies coming out? I'm thinking something with The Shakiest Gun in the West, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, The Private Eyes, and the two Apple Dumpling Gang movies... I'd invest in more than one copy if they did!!

God rest your souls, Mr. Knotts and Mr. McGavin.... you gave us many great moments of entertainment, which we will never forget.
Old 02-26-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The Private Eyes" was one the 20 films that i watched repeatedly as a kid. And it and "Cat from Outer Space" are the only ones that still hold up. I can still watch these a couple times a night when i'm in the mood. That's just one of the great things about Mr. Knotts' movies, most are very timeless. i actually just introduced "The Private Eyes" to my oldest daughter and she loved it the same way i did when i was her age.
So whereever you are Mr. Knotts, Thank you for everything.
Old 02-27-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry for our loss.

There is a box set of some of his movies and it's VERY cheap. Under $15. Check DDD.
Old 03-08-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, aside from losing a great comic actor, we will now be deprived of any hope that the idiots who are releasing the Andy Griffith Show on DVD WITHOUT any extras or commentaries by the cast will get any words or reflections from Barney himself now. They better come to their senses and at least call Andy himself up for the season 7 or 8 release, he's not getting any younger either.
Old 03-08-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess they decided they would sell either way so why bother and give some added bonus to the sets.

I thought they might do some extras for seasons 6-8 since they aren't as popular.
Old 03-08-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The Shakiest Gun In The West" and the Apple Dumpling Gang movies were my favorites. Hell, all of Don Knotts' movies were great. He was the best.